Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
His follow up tweet isn't exactly great. "Can't even joke with friends nowadays." What he needs to realise is that posting something on Twitter isn't "joking with friends" it's joking with 600,000 followers and many millions of others who might see it second hand.
Apparently his original tweet and Mendy's cheerful reply were deleted within minutes, so i wonder who at the club oversaw this and alerted Bernie to the storm that was about to break? Anyway, this too shall pass, though it's already unlikely he'd get FA player of the year no matter how brilliantly he plays football for the rest of the season.

Fixed it for ya!

Don’t you realize that pointing out someone else’s culture as wrong is, itself, culturally insensitive? Who are you to say YOUR culture is right and THEIR culture is wrong? Who writes the rules on which culture is above another? Who gets to rank them?

"kick it out"

Have you read this?

9780330492294.jpg

His Twitter account is also worth a follow because he quite often highlights these Twitter lynch mobs, most recently the case of a young woman who was piled on for taking a vaguely sexy photo at Auschwitz.

To be fair though, the sum total of Bernardo's consequences so far have been people on Twitter telling him he's been a twat. Some people have been hounded out of jobs. It's also clear from his subsequent post that he doesn't believe he's made a mistake.

Thanks, I’ll have a look.

Bernardo’s response is reasonable given he is clearly indicating he didn’t believe it could be perceived as racist....hence, someone needs to have a quick word to help him understand why, so we can all move on with our lives and I can get back to being outraged by a President who is trampling all over the American Constitution and colluding with foreign governments to harm his political opponents!!!

"kick it out"
Exactly!

Agenda-filled cliques who get funded to be outraged!!

P.S. You DO realize I was simply making a point that it is ridiculously easy to fall into the trap that is political correctness, simply by misusing (or sloppily using) a word here or there, right?!

Thanks, I’ll have a look.

Bernardo’s response is reasonable given he is clearly indicating he didn’t believe it could be perceived as racist....hence, someone needs to have a quick word to help him understand why, so we can all move on with our lives and I can get back to being outraged by a President who is trampling all over the American Constitution and colluding with foreign governments to harm his political opponents!!!
You can start with his Ted Talk.

Fixed it for ya!

Don’t you realize that pointing out someone else’s culture as wrong is, itself, culturally insensitive? Who are you to say YOUR culture is right and THEIR culture is wrong? Who writes the rules on which culture is above another? Who gets to rank them?

Sure, compared to the rest of Western Europe they are a bit culturally different when it comes to this kind of racism, as I wrote, it's not a big deal over there. I personally think that's fucked up, but thats my opinion.

Last edited:
To me, Bernardo is really stupid to post that on social media. And tbh, we don't know if Mendy do actually like it or not. I am speaking from experience. I am an Indian living in the US. My ex-colleague and friend (who is a white) used to call me mocha and some other shit (I was once helping him move his furniture and he commented one table got black because I touched it). Initially, I got bothered sometimes but now I have stopped caring and just laugh it off. We are still very good friends but I think he is a bit insensitive in these matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.