Bert Trautmann at the COMS today...Picture

Bert Trautmann WAS a Nazi! Part of the Hitler Youth. He was also a very accomplished paratrooper, and was a serious threat to the English....then he got caught as a POW.

Then after the war he became English. The English invited him to his home to have tripe for Chirstmas dinner. He lived with an English family (St Helens) and then some officials from Man City came to see him whilst he had the flu, and was in bed. He signed for City only because he needed a p!ss and wanted to get rid of the guys from City so he could go to the bog. His first games for City were surrounded by hatred and abuse by a lot of City fans, let alone the Jewish contigent who hated him because he German.

After a few games, the boos turned into cheers. Cheers turned into adulation. A hero was born.

Then Bert was the goalkeeper for us in 1956. The rest, as they say, is history.

Bert Trautmann was a Nazi, part of the Hitler Youth, who killed Englishmen in World War Two. But he was doing a job, a job he had to do.

But he is also probably the best ever player we had, he played with a broken neck, he collected his FA Cup winners medal from the Queen. He healed so many wounds.

I hope that we give Bert the welcome he deserves on Sunday. This man is more than legend, he's part of our history, his dedication and love for City healed so many wounds after World War Two.

If we renamed COMS the Bert Trautmann Stadium, I doubt many would complain. The bridge from the station to Wembley had to be named something, and the FA held a competition, in the end it was called White Horse Way, but the third choice was Bert Trautmann Way.

BERT TRAUTMANN IS A LEGEND, SURPASSED BY NONE.

scall said:
Bert Trautmann WAS a Nazi! Part of the Hitler Youth. He was also a very accomplished paratrooper, and was a serious threat to the English....then he got caught as a POW.

Then after the war he became English. The English invited him to his home to have tripe for Chirstmas dinner. He lived with an English family (St Helens) and then some officials from Man City came to see him whilst he had the flu, and was in bed. He signed for City only because he needed a p!ss and wanted to get rid of the guys from City so he could go to the bog. His first games for City were surrounded by hatred and abuse by a lot of City fans, let alone the Jewish contigent who hated him because he German.

After a few games, the boos turned into cheers. Cheers turned into adulation. A hero was born.

Bert Trautmann was a Nazi, part of the Hitler Youth, who killed Englishmen in World War Two. But he was doing a job, a job he had to do.

But he is also probably the best ever player we had, he played with a broken neck, he collected his FA Cup winners medal from the Queen. He healed so many wounds.

I hope that we give Bert the welcome he deserves on Sunday. This man is more than legend, he's part of our history, his dedication and love for City healed so many wounds after World War Two.

If we renamed COMS the Bert Trautmann Stadium, I doubt many would complain. The bridge from the station to Wembley had to be named something, and the FA held a competition, in the end it was called White Horse Way, but the third choice was Bert Trautmann Way.

Being Hitler youth was compulsary in Germany for kids in that era. He is a true legend and I believe there is not a shred of nazi in him. True gentleman and a role model for all.

I say they should name a stand at COMS after him.

scall said:

Every young German was technically a Nazi. Didn't have much choice, did they? If you didnt send your child to the Hitler Youth you ended up in a camp.

True City legend. No. True football legend.

Absolute gentleman. Sat in the Main Stand at Maine Road at about 8 or 9 in the late 60's or so, and my Dad said to me 'guess who that is behind you, but don't look round. Course, being a kid you do look, and I said to my Dad, 'who is it?' and he said 'Bert Trautman'. Nearly peed meself. Guy just says 'hello, would you like an autograph' and I nearly died and went to heaven. Very imposing, very impressive, a true City legend. As for all this Nazi stuff, well, sod it, are we all monarchists because we live in a monarchy? Live and let live. The man is a legend.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it was his choice to join the Hitler Youth, I'm just making the point that he went from one end of the scale to the other, which makes him such a great and inspiring character.

His son lives in the same village as my sisters mother in law. We popped in to see him a few years ago. We were talking about Bert and he was suprised that I was so in awe of him. They didn't know much about him at all. I told them the story of when Bert was last at COMS. The announcer just said "Please welcome onto the pitch, City legend, Bert Trau-...." Before he could finish his name, fans from both teams were immediately on their feet cheering and clapping.

I've met him a few times, and each time I'm humbled to be in his presence.

We do need a huge statue of him somewhere

I would respectfully suggest any City fans able to get down to his two book signing sessions today do so, to say hello to Bert in person, buy his book, and ask him to sign it.....

You may never get another chance.....

Met him today with my 73 year old father (acts like a 30 year old which is wierd cos i'm only 28) my Dad got to him and said "Bert may i say it's a pleaure shaking the hand of my hero" That is the part that made my day. all i could muster was "Mr Trautmann it was a pleasure to meet you sir"

He was a true gent and tried to take as much time with everybody as he could.

I have been saying all day:

"Today I shook hands with a true football legend" to anybody that listened.

It was great to see how many people turned up to get their books signed. It shows how much of a legacy this man's left.

Make sure we all give him a decent homecoming cheer at the game today!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.