Best away day memory

Dec 2009: Bolton 3-3 City
My first away day without my Dad, just me and my brother, remember Clattenburg giving Bellamy a second yellow for diving when Robinson hacked him down and we went fucking mental.

Nov 2010: Stoke 1-1 City
My first experience of the Poznan after Richards scored around the 80th minute to put us 1-0 up, nearly killed me. Etherington equalised in the 94th minute to deny me my first away day victory, was devastated.

Jan 2010: Scunthorpe 2-4 City
Didn't have to wait too much longer after the disappointment at Stoke. The fans were great that day, singing the Ocean Finance song and "We've Got Sylvinho" after he smashed in a 30 yard rocket.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdXmRmD8eGo[/youtube]

Boxing Day 2010: Newcastle 1-3 City
In the Sir Bobby Robson Suite through work, my first experience of how the other half watch football, whilst the champagne and 3 course meal were great, I wouldn't swap it for the away section.

Apr 2011: Liverpool 3-0 City
Andy Carroll scored 2 on his debut and we got battered. The Monday before the cup semi-final against United and our players were pulling out of 80/20s never mind 50/50s. Once the third went in we gave up on the game and sang non-stop for the 2nd half. Really enjoyed it and it made the next one that much better.

Apr 2011: United 0-1 City (Wembley)
Up to that date the best moments of my life came in that match. The Poznan at the start was brilliant then they dominated for 30 minutes and I still don't know how Berbatov missed. Then came Yaya Toure, latching onto a mis-placed pass by Carrick, storming passed Vidic and rolling the ball under Van Der Sar, cue pandemonium. I don't think I stopped singing for the rest of the game. I'd spent the previous semi-final against United (league cup the year before) stood silently, so nervous that all I could do was watch either net for the ball hitting them. I was determined this would be different. Hart tipping Nani's free kick onto the bar and Kolarov diving superbly on the edge of his own box in injury time stick in my memory, but the full time whistle was the sweetest noise I'd ever heard, it was then drowned out by the loudest roar I'd ever heard.

Apr 2011: Blackburn 0-1 City
This was a crucial match in the hunt for a top 4 spot an Champions League football and it looked destined to end in a draw until Dzeko popped up with time running out. Cue "Oh, Edin Dzeko" being sung until full time and long after.

May 2011: Stoke 0-1 City (Wembley)
No explanation necessary, our first trophy in my lifetime and I got to see it with my Dad and my brother, phenomenal.

Oct 2011: Blackburn 0-4 City
This is in here because the performance was so good and the weather was fantastic. We were sat right at the back of the upper tier, right under the plastic corrugated roof which produced a sweltering greenhouse effect. Not many people around us managed the 4th Poznan through fear of passing out from dehydration.

Dec 2011: Arsenal 0-1 City
Our first victory at Arsenal for 30-odd years courtesy of a brilliant counter-attacking goal involving Dzeko, Johnson and Aguero. This was the first time I'd seen us win at an away game that I'd attended alone. I'd done a fair few and was started to be labelled as a jinx by friends and family so despite the game being dour, was extremely relieved at full time. Can remember singing 6-1 songs and "We're having a party when Fergie dies" on the tube back to the car.

Jan 2012: Liverpool 2-2 City (3-2 agg)
Nigel De Jong could well be the only player capable of slide tackling the ball into the top corner from 20 yards. This was a cracking game but the night will always be remembered for the queue on the M62 coming home, we were stationary/crawling for hours but leant out of the windows singing City songs at the tops of our voices and I taught my then 16 year old brother the basics of driving and clutch control.

May 2012: Newcastle 0-2 City
After what had been an emotional victory over United at the Etihad the Monday before we knew we were two wins away from our first title in 44 years. With an hour gone Newcastle were holding firm but the big man stepped up once again with a pearler from 20 yards. We were in the corporate seats again so tried our best to control ourselves but when the second went in there was no use, half the executive section jumped up celebrating putting one hand on the trophy.

Feb 2013: Southampton 3-1 City
A long journey to the south coast saw us put in one of the worst performances of recent years. This was the day we surrendered the league title but once the third went in there seemed to be a sense of "Fuck it, we've come this far, might as well have a good time" and sang "We never win at home and we never win away" non-stop for 20 minutes. The Saints fans look thoroughly nonplussed but the City fans loved every minute. One of the best bits of being a City fan is having the ability to laugh at ourselves, we can be a very self-deprecating bunch at times, and it showed through here.

unicorn said:
Remember the 4-3 win at Loftus Road in 94 with great affection - decent pub in Sheps Bush, Beagrie at his magical best, and nonstop singing from amazing City turnout for a midweek London league cup tie
My son was the mascot for this game.

Apart from the obvious (Wembley 99 and seeing us win the first trophy in my lifetime there in 2011), two games stick in my memory: Ewood Park in 95 when we beat a Blackburn team 3-2 who a few weeks later would become champions when we were battling at the wrong end of the table, and my first CL away trip last season to Villarreal - had 4 days in Benidorm which was packed with Blues. That comfortable 3-0 win was our first (and to date only!) win in the CL so I feel quite privileged to have been there!

Crystal Palace last game in 91 I think. 2-0 down ended 2-2 Clive Allen scored both. Thousands of blues there that day. Blues Brothers day what a laugh on the train.

Thisishowitfeels said:
Apart from the obvious (Wembley 99 and seeing us win the first trophy in my lifetime there in 2011), two games stick in my memory: Ewood Park in 95 when we beat a Blackburn team 3-2 who a few weeks later would become champions when we were battling at the wrong end of the table, and my first CL away trip last season to Villarreal - had 4 days in Benidorm which was packed with Blues. That comfortable 3-0 win was our first (and to date only!) win in the CL so I feel quite privileged to have been there!
Didn't we defeat Bayern & Villarreal at home last season ?

Lancet Fluke said:
This is still one of my favourite away games. Huge result at the time, first away win of the season (in April!) and just a great day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzuFljt2XVY[/youtube]

I remember it well. As usual back then, it was a massive turn out at Villa Park. That was the season Villa threw away the title and the last time Liverpool won it. Villa fans weren't too HP that day and started pickin on dad's with kids after the game. I was in the side end and can remember the new song that was bein sung: BLUE MOON :)

Where do i start? Too many to mention from back in the day, so, this season has to be either Dortmund, had an epic few days away. City drank a bar in the centre dry 2 days on the trot, or walking out of the Emirates after beating the Arse in the league for the 1st time in 38 years. shellshocked locals wasn't in it. Last season has to be walking out of the swamp after putting 6 past the rags. Also Villareal, spent a week in Valencia, what a city, Barcelona for the friendly win, Timisoara & being so surprised about what a brilliant place it was, Wembley 2011 X 2, Norwich after the 6-1 last season. And finally, have to memtion the famous York game (7 of us went), nearly every away game spoilt a good day out back then, so we just though "fuck it", stayed over & get a brilliant night out.

mark lillis's jock strap said:
Crystal Palace last game in 91 I think. 2-0 down ended 2-2 Clive Allen scored both. Thousands of blues there that day. Blues Brothers day what a laugh on the train.

All on the pitch at the end. Having a sing song with the Palace fans.

Ipswich in the semi at Villa Park was my best one though....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.