best book you,ve read

Whoah!!!!!!! Where to start, malc?
Two of my top 10 have already been named, Catch 22 and The Dice Man.
My true love, though, is American hard-boiled or 'pulp' crime. You know the kind of caper, wisecracking PI, femme fatale, gangsters with tommy guns, hoods, broads, bent cops etc.
I collect originals from the late 20s to the 60s for the resale investment value, and have made a fair bit on them, but I just love the Prohibition era, the style etc.
The two daddies are The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler and The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett.
For more modern stuff, anything by Tim Dorsey, Donald Westlake, James Crumley, Richard Stark, Don Winslow or Ireland's Ken Bruen will be brilliant.
The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton is a new crime novel but one of the best ever in my opinion. As is Nobody Move by Denis Johnson.

Away from crime, Fighting Ruben Wolfe was the best new-ish book I read this last 12 months.

I read Executive Orders (Part of the Jack Ryan series) in about 1998. It's about a plane that crashes into the US Capitol building, Islamic terrorists releasing Ebola into various cities around America and shooting children in a school.

At the time it all sounded a bit far-fetched, but am now listening to it post-9/11 and now it seems almost like a prediction of what was to come.

Well worth a read. It may take about 6 months though, it's a bloody big book!

I have two favourites.
Cannery Row - John Steinbeck
Robinson Crusoe -Daniel Defoe

Both classics. The first paints pictures that I can still see now having not read it for 15 years.. The second is the original SAS survival handbook.

Gelsons Dad said:
I have two favourites.

Both classics. The first paints pictures that I can still see now having not read it for 15 years.. The second is the original SAS survival handbook.
Brilliant selections, Mr Fernandes, especially Cannery Row.

LongsightM13 said:
Gelsons Dad said:
I have two favourites.

Give 'The ice man' a try mate you will enjoy it.

Confessions of a mafia contract killer. He was one crazy guy, it's only a fiver to buy.

Scottyboi said:
LongsightM13 said:

Give 'The ice man' a try mate you will enjoy it.

Confessions of a mafia contract killer. He was one crazy guy, it's only a fiver to buy.
I'm not normally a fan of the true crime stuff but must admit I thought before that this looks good. If it has the scottyboi stamp, then I'm in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.