Best goalkeeper of all time?

Growing up watching what little football there was on telly in the 80s I would go for Shilton, Southall (at his peak was ridiculously good), and Rinat Dassayev of the old Soviet Union.

More recently Schmeicel and Buffon.

And don't forget Walter Zenga (nice hair too)!!!

BrianW said:
I would say Gordon Banks. I remember him in a game at Maine Road when Stoke somehow managed to beat us 1-2. With any lesser keeper it would have been about 7-2.

Certainly the most amazing goalkeeping display I have ever seen in front of me.

Banks has said that his save from Wyn Davies that day was his best ever, far better than the one from Pele.

Apparently we had the chance to sign Banks earlier that season but Joe Mercer thought the £50,000 fee was a bit steep for someone his age. If true, it wasnt Joe's best decision since Banks performance in that match probably cost us the league title.

Just a shame the match wasnt televised. If it had been on MOTD Banks performance would deservedly have been raved over for years.

Matt the Giant said:
Best ever would be Zaki Badou, but in more modern times... Schmeicel without competition.

Can't believe someone on here put Zaki, the Moroccan 'keeper from Mexico 86. What a shout. He made an unbelievable save against West Germany in that World Cup, brilliant reflexes. Not sure about best ever though.

One of the best saves ever for me was Quinny saving a penalty i think against Dean Saunders and then he plucked the resulting corner out the sky. Everyone went mental it was better than winning a cup, honest

Belfastblue said:
it has to be Pat Jennings he was the only keeper in his time that could grasp the ball with one hand even kids can do it now with the stupid balls they are using. also he scored against the rags at the swamp. Banks is only remembered for one save Jennings made loads of great saves.

My friend your talking bollocks Banks was immense and whilst he will always be remembered for THAT save he was the best goalkeeper ive ever seen. I remember a game at City in 1972 when we should have won the league we fuckin battered Stoke and he saved almost everything that was threw at him and Stoke went away with a 2.1 win. Lots of people blame Rodney Marsh for us not winning the league that season personally i think Banks performance that day also played a big part.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.