Best squad since 1981

robbieh

Been following City since 80/81 with all the ups and downs. Been reading this forum with interest for not quite as long. This though is my first post.

The current players frequently come in for a slagging due mainly to the incredibly inconsistent performances this season, especially away from home. However I can´t remember such a good squad since I have been supporting City.

Lets take a look.

2 regular Brazilian internationals. Not 2 Georgian internationals but 2 Brazilian internationals. The pinnacle of the world game. 2 Bulgarians rated in the top 10 Bulgarians of all time and they have had some great players. One of the best goalkeepers in the world currently in Shay Given (thank god he is playing well otherwise we could be in an even worse position). Kompany and De Jong, two highly prized European players. And by the way how many Dutch internationals have we had before. A scattering of England internationals with plenty of caps, SWP and Bridge. Stephen Ireland too. Plenty of homegrown talent such as Sturridge, Richards, Nedum etc. And although not a regular starter for his country who cannot like Pablo Zabaleta? And even the odds and sods are internationals Caicedo, Dunne, Benjani, Bellamy. What the heck even TBH.
Now I am not saying that they all play well all the time but you have to admit there is plenty of talent there. So why are we now below Stoke City?

Well we know the answer and before someone starts talking about giving Hughes more time like Ferguson was given, would you still like to have Stuart Pearce doing his apprenticeship here? Or how about giving Joe Royle more time, Frank Clarke etc The truth is all these managers were not given more time because they were not good enough and what´s more I can´t think of one City manager who has gone on to success having left this club. I don´t go back as far as Ron Saunders. Do you think if we fire Hughes he will become a great manager elsewhere or will he turn out just to be another Steve Bruce?

After Thursday night it seems that MH has a lot of support. But one match does not make the season. Lets see what unfolds over the coming weeks. Who knows a win tomorrow and we go above Stoke City !

Welcome to bluemoon mate.

We do have a good squad now ...... never mind 1981 ...... it's probably potentially as good , or as talented , a squad as we've had since the early seventies !

But as i said the other day on here ... if City had of won the UEFA Cup and finished 7th in the Premiership ...... i'd have said that , despite the poor away form , it would have been a pretty successful first season for Mark Hughes.

But now that we've exited the UEFA Cup , albeit in fine style ..... and it looks like we're gonna finish in 8th Premiership position , at best , Hughes's position has to come under further scrutiny .

The main bugbear is that last season we gained 17 more points than we currently have yet Sven was still sacked ....... but now off course we have different owners.

The guy has made a lot of mistakes this season , and he does seem to have 'issues' with one or two players .... but i think he's worth enough to warrant another season , or at least half of one ...... and i hope he gets it.

The squad looks good on paper - but very average at times on the pitch. We will no doubt add to it in the summer but a major improvement is required next season or Hughes will be out by Christmas.

The big thing is experience, only 3 of the players you named have experienced more than a year of intense Premierleague football (Bridge, Given and Dunne) and only 1 of those balancing a European run on top (Given). Tell me that won't have affected us.

PabZab said:
The big thing is experience, only 3 of the players you named have experienced more than a year of intense Premierleague football (Bridge, Given and Dunne) and only 1 of those balancing a European run on top (Given). Tell me that won't have affected us.

SWP and Bellamy would like to argue with that.

But apart from that i totally agree, as good as our players are they are relatively new to the english game and a long and hard season takes its toll. I think next year we have a great shot at good things.

Well you guys may have a point re youth , inexperience in the Premiership etc It surely can be the only valid excuse that MH could offer up to the owners.

And if this is what is holding us back then next year should show a dramatic improvement.

Let´s hope so. I´d like to add that in spite of some appalling away performances some of the play at home has been extremely skilful and imaginative. Sometimes perhaps too ambitious bearing mind we only have 2 Brazilian internationals not the full set! Although Ireland and Wright Phillips do a good imitation. The question is how manager led are these rare Brazil like performances. Blackburn weren´t exactly noted for throwing caution to the wind.

awesome said:
PabZab said:

But apart from that i totally agree, as good as our players are they are relatively new to the english game and a long and hard season takes its toll. I think next year we have a great shot at good things.

Forgot about SWP because he didn't play Thursday but Bellamy has never played more than a season on the trot.

PabZab said:
awesome said:
PabZab said:

Forgot about SWP because he didn't play Thursday but Bellamy has never played more than a season on the trot.
has he ever played more than a game on the trot?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.