best video game of all time?

Has to be Mario 64. Not a fan of.childish games but this one was just fun. Games have moved away from fun.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but if anyone played Super Smash Bros: Melee on the GameCube, they will know that it was a seriously good game to play with your mates round.

Playing 'Path of Exile' now on PC, and wow this is a game to saviour. What Diablo 3 should have been, and free to play. What more could you want?!

been playing Mario Party 2 N64 online these days.

rlly fun, if anyone wants to try it or know how, pm.

SkyBlueFlux said:
BimboBob said:
Dirty Harry said:
This, I was there, witnessed the furore and impact first hand (and as an adult I might add, not as some shitty arse kid ;-) )

Halo was a very good game but Goldeneye was better, especially multiplayer.

I think if we're being specific, it's hard to group Halo and Goldeneye in the same pen because they were completely different consoles and had rather different reasons for their success.

To chart a history of the FPS with defining games you could say something like:

Generation I - Wolfenstein/Doom - established the genre.
Generation II - Goldeneye - brought the genre to the mass market with multiplayer
Generation III - Halo - put the FPS online, and defined the modern FPS
Generation IV - CoD/Battlefield - brought in a new level of realism and fanaticism

I am no lover of FPSs, they really aren't my cup of tea, but the development has gone through a very long process and it'd be difficult to say any one game was the best. I've played all of the above with mates, and they're all fun experiences for different reasons.

On a side note, has anybody mentioned Contra yet? I feel Contra should get a mention. They don't make games as brutally difficult as that any more. Same with Castlevania, I still have nightmares about fighting Fleaman and Frankenstein.
I presume you are talking about console gaming here because Halo was nowhere near the first popular FPS online nor did it define the modern FPS. Quake 1-3, Unreal Tournament '99 and Counter Strike were all more instrumental in the birth of competitive online FPS before Halo was released.

Limmer said:
SkyBlueFlux said:
BimboBob said:
Halo was a very good game but Goldeneye was better, especially multiplayer.

I think if we're being specific, it's hard to group Halo and Goldeneye in the same pen because they were completely different consoles and had rather different reasons for their success.

To chart a history of the FPS with defining games you could say something like:

Generation I - Wolfenstein/Doom - established the genre.
Generation II - Goldeneye - brought the genre to the mass market with multiplayer
Generation III - Halo - put the FPS online, and defined the modern FPS
Generation IV - CoD/Battlefield - brought in a new level of realism and fanaticism

I am no lover of FPSs, they really aren't my cup of tea, but the development has gone through a very long process and it'd be difficult to say any one game was the best. I've played all of the above with mates, and they're all fun experiences for different reasons.

On a side note, has anybody mentioned Contra yet? I feel Contra should get a mention. They don't make games as brutally difficult as that any more. Same with Castlevania, I still have nightmares about fighting Fleaman and Frankenstein.
I presume you are talking about console gaming here because Halo was nowhere near the first popular FPS online nor did it define the modern FPS. Quake 1-3, Unreal Tournament '99 and Counter Strike were all more instrumental in the birth of competitive online FPS before Halo was released.

Yes I'm talking solely about console games. Besides the games I've mentioned above are up for debate, my point was just that it'd be pretty impossible to define a 'best FPS game ever' because they've gone through many stages of development.

Super Mario World on the SNES was a work of fucking genius. One of the best games ever and they chucked it in with the console.

itisrising said:
Has to be Mario 64. Not a fan of.childish games but this one was just fun. Games have moved away from fun.

johnny on the spot said:
Super Mario World on the SNES was a work of fucking genius. One of the best games ever and they chucked it in with the console.

Has to be Mario all day. Played it on my daughters DS a few years ago, still class. Same with the Wii version, and I remember playing the NES versions. Timeless gameplay. Mario World was perfection, until the 64 came out. 2 completely different games, both brilliant. Nintendo know this, that's why they released "Super Mario Bros Wii" and "Super Mario Galaxy" on Wii around the same time.

Special mentions to Vice City and Ridge Racer IV, Burnout Paradise was an excellent arcadey style game too, but imho Mario games never get old, anyone of any time can play them. Best.

I remember getting our SNES for my 8th birthday, and my dad spent all night on it then got stuck on the first ghost house in Donut Plains. Lol. UN Sqaudron was a brilliant game too.

Might be time to dig up an emulator...

BimboBob said:
MCFC1993 said:
Call of Duty 4 for me.

Best indie game: Minecraft.

93 year of birth I take it.

Minecraft is great though.

Yeah, minecraft was my outsiders choice. As for Cod4 its the game with the best memories with mates and playing time. Must of spent a month of my life minimum on that game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.