Big Mal Memories

City_Shirts

Champions 37,68,12,14,18,19,21,22, 23, 24, ?
When he walked up to the Stretford End, held four fingers up as his prediction of the scoreline, before sitting back to watch City beat Utd 4-1 (12/12/70 at Old Trafford, possibly been exaggerated a bit over the years, but players and fans there claim it happened).

His role in persuading the coaches and managers of other clubs that Bury's Colin Bell (1966) was a poor player just so that he could keep the price low enough for City to buy our most gifted player.

When he was asked in 1979, on his return to City, how he felt to be City's coach again he responded: "I'm not just a coach, I'm a scientist and like all good scientists I make things work!"

After he received a lot of criticism for saying City would terrorise Europe (after winning League in 1968) he responded in 1970 after winning the European Cup Winners Cup by saying: "I said we'd terrorise Europe, I just didn't say which year."

At Manchester United's 1964-65 Championship dinner he gave Matt Busby's son, Sandy, a prediction which turned out to be pretty accurate: "Your father has got a 20 year start, but I'll pass him in three."

After winning the Championship at Newcastle in 1968, Malcolm shocked City fans by climbing out of the team coach on the journey back and then danced in and out of the traffic jam, celebrating City's success with the fans.

When, at the end of season friendly with Bury (1967-68 - the Championship trophy was presented that night), he put on a City shirt, came on as substitute, and had a goal disallowed while the fans chanted: "Allison For England".

The 1933 FA Cup final (City V Everton) - in 1996 Allison told Gary James that as a five-year-old boy he sat listening to that cup final on the radio and that from that point on he became a Manchester City supporter.

Finally, the 1981 Granada TV documentary "City" - the documentary covered Allison's final period as City manager and also the early part of John Bond's reign. After Allison had been dismissed by City he returned as manager of Crystal Palace and the documentary shows him running on the pitch, towards the Kippax, and receiving a fantastic reception. Despite how his second reign ended, the love of both Allison for City and fans for him was clear.

Legend

What's the story behind the Mourinho inspiration? Do people just say it due to similarities? Or has Mourinho stated that Big Mal was a defining figure of inspiration?

[bigimg]http://content.mcfc.co.uk/~/media/Images/Home/Video/2009/September/mercer_allison1.ashx?mh=450&mw=800[/bigimg]

He had a bet with one of United's directors.

Just after he'd joined City, he was invited to United's championship dinner.

He said they were all smug and patronising to him. He hated it and was fuming.

That's when he said the above quote : "I'll overtake you in three years".

Also, one of their directors said City were finished and would never get more than 30K again. He bet them we would. Within 12 months he'd got 50K in Maine Road.

he bumped into Tony Coleman in a bar in town after player curfew and told him to go home. when TC full of booze and bluster refuses ant tells Big Mal to make him, Mal decked him and told him to fuck off home or he'd be waking up in hospital !!

top man mangement skills ;-)

was there last game in charge leeds away which we love
then him comming back when we played palace
in the F.A cup on 81

bluejase said:
What's the story behind the Mourinho inspiration? Do people just say it due to similarities? Or has Mourinho stated that Big Mal was a defining figure of inspiration?

Did he not have spell coaching in Spain/Portugal, and worked with Mourinho's dad?

blueshortshorts said:
bluejase said:

Did he not have spell coaching in Spain/Portugal, and worked with Mourinho's dad?

Yes. And he has said that Mal was "his inspiration"

bluejase said:

Think his dad worked with Mal in Portugal. not 100% though

EDIT somebodys already answered!

blueshortshorts said:
bluejase said:

He was at Sporting Lisbon mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.