Big Mal Memories

Didsbury Dave said:
He had a bet with one of United's directors.

Just after he'd joined City, he was invited to United's championship dinner.

He said they were all smug and patronising to him. He hated it and was fuming.

That's when he said the above quote : "I'll overtake you in three years".

Also, one of their directors said City were finished and would never get more than 30K again. He bet them we would. Within 12 months he'd got 50K in Maine Road.

It was that g@bsh#t€ Crerrand whom Big Mal bet that City would get 30000 gates again. He won his bet within 3 or 4 games of the start of the 1965/66 season.

I remember in 1973 we drew Liverpool in the FA Cup at Anfield in the 4th round.

Big Mal had been telling us this was our year, we were going to win the Cup. It was a huge game at the time, and the gates were locked an hour or so before kick off. Anyway, he came out onto the pitch, and took ages strolling up to the Kop, inspecting the turf, shaking his head in disbelief, and spent about 5 minutes right in front of the Kop taking the piss.

The Liverpool fans were going mental, but he just revelled in it, he loved it.

The only time I met him was in 1968 when City played my local team Altrincham, and as we were walking past the main stand, he was there in front of us. A friend asked him if we were going to win the European Cup, and he said we would. He had his hat and cigar.

We were only 10 years old at the time.

Thanks for the memories, Malcolm, for making me a blue, and rest in peace.

Waiting for a train to Manchester at Euston in the mid-eighties,I'd been to see my mum in Uxbridge would have been summertime.
Anyway British Rail have a wildcat strike on and so we are sat around like piffy on a rock bun waiting for an announcement,when my girlfriend at the time gets all excited to see Dave Lee Travis,she goes over to talk to the hairy cornflake and I get another McEwans .This bloke says do you mind if I sit here,I was about to say the seats taken ,when I clock who it is ,Big Mal,talked his ear off for an hour or so he was very accomodating and even got me a drink.
I would normally have said nothing as celebrities must get pissed off talking to strangers all the time ,but once I got him on the subject of City he wouldn't shut up and can honestly say it was a pleasure to spend the time with a real football legend(not just City).
After he'd gone I realised there was lots more questions I could of asked him but was spellbound at what he saying that I could hardly think of what to say,still have my autographed train ticket somewhere.
Thanks to ASLEF,I had a fantastic afternoon and DLT's a miserable cnut.

mancunial said:
my memory of big mal was at old trafford, i was in the stretford end because it was only ticket i could get, about 1970 time, he was getting loads of stick from the reds and he was just smiling at them, city came out before the kick off and ran to the stretford end to warm up, they were singing i,d walk a million miles to the end of your nose mike summerbee, buzzer pointed to his nose, then you had francis lee has got vd hallelujah, Franny looked down his shorts, then you had mike doyle's a bast--d mike doyle's a bast--d, then it was allison allison shut your mouth allison shut your mouth, he waved to them, it was obvious malcolm had told them to run out to the stretford end, i felt so proud that day because i was shitting myself and had been recognised a couple of times, city won 1 nil buzzer heading in at the scoreboard end and running to the stretford end sliding to his knees Ade style, and pointing to his nose? that was the confidence malcolm put in to that side with joe, they had no fear of old trafford? those were the days my friend, those were the goals my friend? REST IN PEACE BIG MAL?

Fantastic post

-- Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:00 pm --

Palerider said:
RIP Malcolm
He was without doubt one of the great characters of football and that's how most of us remember him. But the other side was his football brain, the nearest we have today is Arsene Wenger, Mal did not just want to win he wanted to win in style and with his own team. With the mighty Joe Mercer we did it once and without being biased we were probably the best side in the world for two years ( yep ). Even when he came back for his second stint you could see the nucleus of a good side and with a bit more financial clout we would have progressed. All in all he was great to have on your side and with that glint in his eye you knew he was just having a laugh at the opposition. Thanks for the memories Mal.

A superb post.

-- Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:02 pm --

johnny on the spot said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miGfy_fEVoA[/youtube]

Didn't take long.

Tissues out.

*reaches for tissues* Quality video with fitting song.

Didsbury Dave said:
He had a bet with one of United's directors.

Just after he'd joined City, he was invited to United's championship dinner.

He said they were all smug and patronising to him. He hated it and was fuming.

That's when he said the above quote : "I'll overtake you in three years".

Also, one of their directors said City were finished and would never get more than 30K again. He bet them we would. Within 12 months he'd got 50K in Maine Road.
Wasn't it that odious "bag of shite" (cow) pat crerand?....big Mal hated him with avengence.....think that was the reason.

R.I.P. big man...True Blue Legend!!!! .........sad, sad day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.