Big Match revisited City v Spuds 5th Feb 1983

This was the 2nd (or maybe 3rd) game I ever went to. 1st was a 0-0 v Birmingham 3rd (or maybe 2nd!) Was West Ham and the 4th was Luton. Pretty clear on the Luton one for some reason!!

My utd supporting dad took me to that game and we stood on The Kippax together (we usually went in the Main Stand) and I remember a couple of things very well. One was David Cross's ineptitude in front of goal and the other was The Kippax's songs directed towards Ricky Villa in relation to The Falklands War, which my dad thought were very unfair - and he was right, of course.

a few observations:

the tackles going in would have resulted in about four sending-offs today

the standard of football was shocking in comparison with what we see today. The level of technique and quality of touch is what I would expect from a League 1 fixture today.

Peter Bodak was an ugly bastard. IIRC his nickname among the payers was ET at it is not difficult to see why.

John Benson must have been the worst man-motivator of all time.

Just watched it without knowing the result before hand. How many chances did we miss? if only one had gone in things would be so different today.

Oh dear, you can quite clearly hear that anti-semitic song, very bad taste and even unacceptable in 1983. Porto idiots had the same mentality on Thursday despite 28 years of social evolution.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.