Big Match Revisited

Just seeing Clive Thomas' name opens a veritable Pandora's Box of bad, bad memories. I hated that prick more than anyone else at that time. Attention-stealing fuckwit.
The Arsehole Poll of his era.

The pinnacle being a **** in a WC match.

Just watched BMR on itv4 last game was Leeds v Sheffield U sept 1974. Leeds are winning 5-0 and doing their usual ole passing piss take circ 40 passes referee ( think it was Clive Thomas ) suddenly halts play and gives a free kick to Sheffield U who score. The free kick was given against Terry Yorath for ungentlemanly conduct accused of talking too much during the passing sequence.

How many strange decisions from our istory come to mind.

IIRC we once had a goal that hit the back stansion ruled out at Highbury in early seventies? Ref thought it hit the post. Then the well documented semi goal against the dippers in the league cup at Maine Road.

walking aggressively
That goal against arsenal I'm sure Rodney Marsh had the ref Gordon Hill I think his name was by the throat when he didn't give it:-)

Clive Thomas disallowed a perfectly good goal that Brazil scored from a corner v Sweden at the 1978 world cup. He blew the final whistle for full time when the ball was in flight from the corner, before Zico headed it into the net. He immediately waved his arms to say no goal and walked off the pitch. Tosser.
He really was a pompous twat, wasn’t he?

Im sure I once remember him running backwards, slipping and falling on his arse.
Just seeing Clive Thomas' name opens a veritable Pandora's Box of bad, bad memories. I hated that prick more than anyone else at that time. Attention-stealing fuckwit.
The Arsehole Poll of his era.

The pinnacle being a **** in a WC match.

One of the worse I’ve witnessed was the first league game after we won the league in 68 at anfield, we were wining 1 nil when I think it was Coleman or young who vollied the ball it hit the stanchion at the back of the net came out of the goal to which the official turned waved his arms in the direction for a Liverpool attack, bet you can guess the final score, bent as it comes
It was Nelly. I was right behind it, and we were all cheering the goal until we realised that play was continuing,
52 years on and nothing has changed at Candlestick Park.

It was Nelly. I was right behind it, and we were all cheering the goal until we realised that play was continuing,
52 years on and nothing has changed at Candlestick Park.

Remember seeing I think it was Clive Allen playing for Palace on MOTD when exactly the same thing happened - Jimmy Hill was outraged. Wasn't there one where the ball went through a hole in the side netting once so a GK was given? That was on MOTD too I think.

Aston Villa vs City on this morning - 1981 style (just seen it on my TV guide) thought I would let people know. I don't know the score so I can watch it as if its live!

(Edit: I shall be sending a strongly worded e-mail to tvguide.co.uk - its Aston Villa vs ManUtd!)

Last edited:
Peter Withe just scored his second to go 2:0 up.

He looks like that fella on Channel 4 who does crazy things with bikes and cars:

peter-withe-of-aston-villa-in-action-circa-1985-picture-id1158414507

Reactions: mat
Pen to Utd. to get it to 3:3 but VAR needs to take a look shurely.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.