Bill Bryson

the lost continent had me crying with laughter. america seen from the perspective of an american who's been in the uk for a long time. a must read especially if you've ever spent any time in the states.

Manc in London said:
Soulboy said:
Does Frankie Boyle count?

Will Self? Stephen Fry? PJ O'Rourke?

Bill Bryson is like a cuddly uncle compared to the biting sharp wit of many, many others. He makes me smile rather than laugh out loud.

I like Bill Bryson. However, none of his travel books can compare to PJ O'Rourke's Holidays in Hell. A classic IMO - interesting, informative and hilarious. I don't like O'Rourke's politics but he his funny and fiercely intelligent.

I've read that book...absolutely piss funny!

Forget his politics... he's just a truly witty writer.

jacko74 said:
Wasn't too impressed with his Australia one, but his other travel books are superb and the History of nearly everything is a fantastic read and should be on the general science curriculum imo.

Down under was crap, gave up half way through

Interesting how some people are funnier in print than on screen and vice versa.

On that theme, has anyone read Stewart Lee's new book yet? Great stand up these days (better than when he used to be on tv) so wondering what the book will be like - is on the holiday list . . .

ive only read notes from a small island and was not impressed at all. it became very repetative and dull. also bryson comes across as a bit of a prick - going off on one at the person in mcdonalds in particular. also although its been about 8 years since i read it i remember thinking the oepning pages about dover was total bollocks he made up.

DirtyEddie said:
ive only read notes from a small island and was not impressed at all. it became very repetative and dull. also bryson comes across as a bit of a prick - going off on one at the person in mcdonalds in particular. also although its been about 8 years since i read it i remember thinking the oepning pages about dover was total bollocks he made up.

Not sure why you'd think this TBH. I think his arrival in Dover and the problems he encountered whilst familiarising himself with 'Englishness' is as funny as anything you'll read anywhere.

However, the reason some of the book might come across as being repetitive and dull is because much of Britain in the 70s and 80s was exactly that: repetitive and dull. His description of Manchester is that of a neglected, rainy city centre dominated by the Arndale Centre, which he famously savaged as the world's largest toilet, although other critics were similarly disparaging. Bryson, of course, was right and not for nothing have they refurbed the Arndale.

Sometimes it takes an outsider to point out something that's right under your nose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.