Birds as pets, (the winged type.......

andyhinch said:
One of my best mates had over 200 raptors in weaterings they fly for him hunt for him look happy, do some research and come back or jog on

What is a weatering? I don't need to do research to feel that keeping birds captive is wrong and you base whatever you are trying to say on 'they look happy'.

This is an excerpt from behavioral enrichment for birds in captivity by
Bryan Shao-Chang Wee with reference to other papers.

Traditionally, mammals, primates and carnivores have garnered the bulk of the attention, when discussing the importance of the environment, and enrichment techniques for captive animals. In Markowitz’s [1982] book where he discussed behavioral enrichment applications, only one of the 199 text pages was devoted to birds (King, 1993). It is a fact that birds lack a close evolutionary relationship with humans when compared to the primates, and this perhaps accounts for their presumed lower levels of intelligence. However, the awareness that we are equally responsible for providing enriched environments for birds in captivity is not growing simply because many of us are not looking at the big picture, that a bird is just as important as, say, a large mammal in an ecosystem.

One of the most important misconceptions concerning birds in captivity, in my opinion, lies in the enclosure size, relative to body size. Now, for most carnivores, the enclosure size relative to body size is small, meaning to say that a lion would look pretty cramped in a 40 x 50-foot enclosure. A bird in the same enclosure, on the other hand, would have a much bigger enclosure size relative to body size, even for a large parrot like a Macaw. In short, people tend to think that birds have ‘plenty of space’ because of their relatively smaller size. This however, is far from true. Some birds are migratory, others cover long distances in search of food. Still others have territories marked over hundreds of miles. The size of an animal does not necessarily determine the size of the required space. Rather, it should be dependent on their behavioral needs. Birds also need environments that closely resemble their native habitats to express their behavioral characteristics (Polakowski, 1987).

When this is lacking, birds can end up with a multitude of problems. The absence of certain key stimuli in the physical environment of captive animals can result in failure to express certain behavioral patterns (Thompson, 1996). Based on the theory of natural selection, the rarity of certain essential behavioral patterns may cause these patterns to become gradually ‘phased out’ in a species over a period of time. Research has also shown that animals kept in socially, and physically impoverished conditions tend to develop rigid, unvarying behavior patterns (stereotypic behavior), rather than remaining exploratory and alert to stimuli in the environment (Shepherdson, 1994). Needless to say, stereotypic behavior in confined birds is an indication of poor welfare.

Birds in captivity may exhibit behaviors that give false perceptions of control when their lives are deprived of enrichment. These behaviors serve as outlets for pent-up frustrations, and are usually redirected to other objects or individuals in the aviary. Some ways in which birds stimulate themselves in an impoverished environment would include excessive self-scratching or self-mutilation. I have seen a pair of Golden-capped Conures, Aratinga auricapilla pluck themselves till they were bald. Despite providing fresh browse for the Conures on a daily basis, they continued to feather-pluck incessantly, to the extent of de-feathering their offspring!

Boredom is the psychological response to an environment that fails to meet the animal’s needs for stimulation due to low stimulus diversity (Thompson, 1996). More often than not, birds that are placed in stimulus-poor environments end up with a lowered expectation of the level of stimulatory input from their surroundings. Hence, a preference for little or no change in their environment develops. In addition, birds that are confined to monotonous environments for prolonged periods, are also less likely to engage in active stimulation-seeking behavior, even when presented with the appropriate opportunity. These may help explain why the Golden-capped Conures failed to respond to the introduction of fresh browse. Yet another example of birds providing false perceptions of control would be sudden explosions of aggressiveness among animals that have lived together in apparent harmony. This can be viewed as a redirected response toward an uncontrollable situation. There have been occasions at the Jurong BirdPark when seemingly docile and well-tempered individuals turned upon their aviary-mates with a sudden viciousness previously not displayed.

This thread has me thinking of getting a parrot........

Can they really live for 80 years though?

May do some research later when I have more time.

What kind of cost are they?

What would I be required to do daily to look after it?

What kind of stuff do they even eat?

Sounds like an interesting pet/hobby as I don't want a dog as I now live alone and dont feel its fair to leave it alone all day but a parrot could be just the companion I'm looking for ha.

MikeBlue said:
This thread has me thinking of getting a parrot........

Can they really live for 80 years though?

May do some research later when I have more time.

What kind of cost are they?

What would I be required to do daily to look after it?

What kind of stuff do they even eat?

Sounds like an interesting pet/hobby as I don't want a dog as I now live alone and dont feel its fair to leave it alone all day but a parrot could be just the companion I'm looking for ha.
Yes they do live along time. I have a grey(pic on page1) and they can live upto 70 years. My mum has a grey that is 20 and could win awards for its vocabulary and sounds.
You do have to spend abit of time with them but mines in the dining room and it's quite a busy house anyway with 2 kids and a dog so he's really happy. I paid £500 for him from a breeder in Mossley 2 years ago when he was 16 weeks, there is a shop near the Apollo that sell them from £800!!! I feed him parrot seed which contains nuts,fruit and chillis and all different seeds.
But he eats anything from chips,crips abit if chocolate, loves poppadoms,apples grapes and all different fruit and veg. Hope this helps

Shadz69 said:
andyhinch said:
One of my best mates had over 200 raptors in weaterings they fly for him hunt for him look happy, do some research and come back or jog on

What is a weatering? I don't need to do research to feel that keeping birds captive is wrong and you base whatever you are trying to say on 'they look happy'.

This is an excerpt from behavioral enrichment for birds in captivity by
Bryan Shao-Chang Wee with reference to other papers.

Traditionally, mammals, primates and carnivores have garnered the bulk of the attention, when discussing the importance of the environment, and enrichment techniques for captive animals. In Markowitz’s [1982] book where he discussed behavioral enrichment applications, only one of the 199 text pages was devoted to birds (King, 1993). It is a fact that birds lack a close evolutionary relationship with humans when compared to the primates, and this perhaps accounts for their presumed lower levels of intelligence. However, the awareness that we are equally responsible for providing enriched environments for birds in captivity is not growing simply because many of us are not looking at the big picture, that a bird is just as important as, say, a large mammal in an ecosystem.

One of the most important misconceptions concerning birds in captivity, in my opinion, lies in the enclosure size, relative to body size. Now, for most carnivores, the enclosure size relative to body size is small, meaning to say that a lion would look pretty cramped in a 40 x 50-foot enclosure. A bird in the same enclosure, on the other hand, would have a much bigger enclosure size relative to body size, even for a large parrot like a Macaw. In short, people tend to think that birds have ‘plenty of space’ because of their relatively smaller size. This however, is far from true. Some birds are migratory, others cover long distances in search of food. Still others have territories marked over hundreds of miles. The size of an animal does not necessarily determine the size of the required space. Rather, it should be dependent on their behavioral needs. Birds also need environments that closely resemble their native habitats to express their behavioral characteristics (Polakowski, 1987).

When this is lacking, birds can end up with a multitude of problems. The absence of certain key stimuli in the physical environment of captive animals can result in failure to express certain behavioral patterns (Thompson, 1996). Based on the theory of natural selection, the rarity of certain essential behavioral patterns may cause these patterns to become gradually ‘phased out’ in a species over a period of time. Research has also shown that animals kept in socially, and physically impoverished conditions tend to develop rigid, unvarying behavior patterns (stereotypic behavior), rather than remaining exploratory and alert to stimuli in the environment (Shepherdson, 1994). Needless to say, stereotypic behavior in confined birds is an indication of poor welfare.

Birds in captivity may exhibit behaviors that give false perceptions of control when their lives are deprived of enrichment. These behaviors serve as outlets for pent-up frustrations, and are usually redirected to other objects or individuals in the aviary. Some ways in which birds stimulate themselves in an impoverished environment would include excessive self-scratching or self-mutilation. I have seen a pair of Golden-capped Conures, Aratinga auricapilla pluck themselves till they were bald. Despite providing fresh browse for the Conures on a daily basis, they continued to feather-pluck incessantly, to the extent of de-feathering their offspring!

Boredom is the psychological response to an environment that fails to meet the animal’s needs for stimulation due to low stimulus diversity (Thompson, 1996). More often than not, birds that are placed in stimulus-poor environments end up with a lowered expectation of the level of stimulatory input from their surroundings. Hence, a preference for little or no change in their environment develops. In addition, birds that are confined to monotonous environments for prolonged periods, are also less likely to engage in active stimulation-seeking behavior, even when presented with the appropriate opportunity. These may help explain why the Golden-capped Conures failed to respond to the introduction of fresh browse. Yet another example of birds providing false perceptions of control would be sudden explosions of aggressiveness among animals that have lived together in apparent harmony. This can be viewed as a redirected response toward an uncontrollable situation. There have been occasions at the Jurong BirdPark when seemingly docile and well-tempered individuals turned upon their aviary-mates with a sudden viciousness previously not displayed.
Some good points in there and sorry about the typo on my iPhone there were a few generalisations that don't count the point I wanted to make is that if the birds have a large enclosure and a are free to fligh on a regular basis they seem happy rappors are quite lazy and tend to fligh mostly for food they also live longer in captiverty I know fuck all about parrots

Has anyone been in the pet shop in Northwich. Someone stole their parrot and then return it but they'd taught it to swear. Quite funny when old dears are looking at the pretty bird and it tell them to f**k off.

Big Tackle said:
Has anyone been in the pet shop in Northwich. Someone stole their parrot and then return it but they'd taught it to swear. Quite funny when old dears are looking at the pretty bird and it tell them to f**k off.

Mine swears it's head off, I was on the phone to BT a couple of years back and he repeated fuck off fuck off fuck off fuck off for over 2 minutes, loud as hell too, the guy on the phone was pissing himself laughing and was getting his colleagues to come listen, you could hear them all in their office laughing their bollocks (and tits) off.

I get up in the morning and let the dogs out, he says even as I open the door to the room he is in, 'Come on dogs, on the grass' or if he hears the dogs lead being moved (part chain) he will say 'Walkies, come on'.

He still calls some of the old dogs long dead by name, he's brilliant.

By the way, the poster on page 3 saying they stop talking if you move home or change the wallpaper is just not true with mine (African Grey) as I have moved home about 6 times since having him, and even let my sister and her boyfriend look after him for a while as I was away on an extended holiday.... he came back from this with a new phrase when he sees a female 'Ello darlin'.....fancy a shag?!

He hates women though, he will only normally interact with males, and goes quiet frequently if people are in the house he doesn't know.

To the guy wanting one, read up on them, and get an African Grey, you will never regret it. Dont' buy from a pet shop as they are 1. very expensive and 2. you never know if they will be wuiet, i.e. not talk due to seeing so many different people during the time in the shop. find a reputable dealer/breeder, do your research, and buy from him/her. Make sure the cage is big enough too.

Good luck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.