birds

The habitat of the local brook has had a good spring, it seems. Other day, way to the shop, a pair of magpies, I'm presuming they were young, because they were nowhere near as fat as the cocky pig-birds that hang around my block tormenting cats. The male was quite calm, just staying three or so metres away as he picked tiny insects off the paved road. It's most remarkable to me because getting that close gave me a real good look at the colouring - I had a hard time believing it was the same species as the more cynical fat birds who hang around ours leering and cavorting from safe vantage points. He was vividly blue, and the iridescent tail came straight off a peacock.

Then what appeared to be one of the flumps jumped out of the hedge, before disappearing, presumably a moulting blackbird embarrassed to be caught in such a ridiculous state. Bad hair day.

A few yards later, a dozen or so sparrow thingies twittering away on the concrete viaduct over the brook.

We've lost trees recently but that's what happens when the landscape maintenance budget is cut to the bone. Obvious problems requiring a judicious cut or two are left to get right out of hand until large branches or the whole tree falls, then the council move in and chop down the whole bloody area. On the upside, a willow that was overly secluded has found huge amounts of sun this year. Next year it should be pretty impressive. I saw a lady throwing raspberries brought from the supermarket every few yards, but honestly, the environment is really very decent. The blackbirds perch on top of the opposing smaller blocks of flats and make the most of the superior accoustics.

Nothing quite amazing that day as tho as the Little Egret (Heron) who transfixed me a week or two back. Fishing in the shallow water by the footpath, expert, patient, and incredibly graceful. So slender, looking like nothing more than a single perfect calligraphy stroke, with the two long plume feathers providing an exaggerated flourish to each dip of his head into the water. Then he decides to move to a new spot and the illusion of grace is shattered, skipping about in the water in very exaggerated steps, bringing to mind a dog wearing boots for the first time. I'll tell you what tho, I saw it fly eastward over my home the evening before, the hottest day of the year. A stunningly graceful slow beat of the wings.

Also the Red Kites have a thing on hot days. Anyone even think about these birds any more? 14/16 outside my window, as part of their circling around the whole of town in a series of connected loops - same pattern same time every day.

Also bats. Bats everywhere on warm nights. Love me some bats.

We had a crazy intense wind storm the other night, 56mph winds for about twenty minutes, then gone. I saw a bunch of Ravens land on my brother's lawn, they all crouched low, faced into the wind and put their wings out as if they were in a dive. Never seen that before

DnXW_0qWwAADpU7.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.