Bit of advice?

callumcity

Hi Guys,

I need a bit of advice regarding University. I haven't got a clue what I want to do in life, never have and I don't know if I ever will. The problem is that i'm doing a Business Studies degree at the moment, living away from home in Sheffield and to be honest I just really don't enjoy it at all and if I don't enjoy it then whats the fucking point. I'm also working part time in a call center which I hate but couldn't survive without. I like the social aspect of university, and did like living alone away from home to begin with but I'm sort of over it now, miss my family and miss not having to worry about finances and consequences. I know I can do well at Uni as I got a first and a 2:1 in my first two assignments but I hated doing them.

I can't stop thinking about dropping out of uni and moving home, but then what do I do? What sort of job prospects will I have without a degree? I can't see myself working in some shite corporate job, wearing a suit everyday being a twat but I don't want to work 40 hours a week stacking shelves at Tesco. I'm only 5 months into my degree and I don't enjoy it or the prospect of the type of job that it brings, the same sort of job my mum, dad, step-dad, brother all do and are miserable doing. I feel like I should be doing something more worthwhile, more enjoyable, I want to wake up happy to go to work.

If i do go home I'd like to go to a local uni and do a degree i'd enjoy, something where I actually learn something which isn't bullshit business jargon. I like learning, but only if it's something that interests me and BA Business Studies really doesn't. However these sort of degrees don't really get you jobs.

What would you lot do in my position? Because I haven't got a clue what to do and have a lot of people shouting in my ear telling me to stick it out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Bluemooners as this won't stop playing on my mind and I can't bring myself to make a decision.

Cheers,

callumcity

I studied business and finance many years ago and hated it. If I had my time again, I would have gone to university full time and done a degree in a subject that really interested me such as languages, law or criminology.

Find something that you would enjoy doing and switch degrees to that if possible.

callumcity said:
Hi Guys,

I need a bit of advice regarding University. I haven't got a clue what I want to do in life, never have and I don't know if I ever will. The problem is that i'm doing a Business Studies degree at the moment, living away from home in Sheffield and to be honest I just really don't enjoy it at all and if I don't enjoy it then whats the fucking point. I'm also working part time in a call center which I hate but couldn't survive without. I like the social aspect of university, and did like living alone away from home to begin with but I'm sort of over it now, miss my family and miss not having to worry about finances and consequences. I know I can do well at Uni as I got a first and a 2:1 in my first two assignments but I hated doing them.

I can't stop thinking about dropping out of uni and moving home, but then what do I do? What sort of job prospects will I have without a degree? I can't see myself working in some shite corporate job, wearing a suit everyday being a twat but I don't want to work 40 hours a week stacking shelves at Tesco. I'm only 5 months into my degree and I don't enjoy it or the prospect of the type of job that it brings, the same sort of job my mum, dad, step-dad, brother all do and are miserable doing. I feel like I should be doing something more worthwhile, more enjoyable, I want to wake up happy to go to work.

If i do go home I'd like to go to a local uni and do a degree i'd enjoy, something where I actually learn something which isn't bullshit business jargon. I like learning, but only if it's something that interests me and BA Business Studies really doesn't. However these sort of degrees don't really get you jobs.

What would you lot do in my position? Because I haven't got a clue what to do and have a lot of people shouting in my ear telling me to stick it out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Bluemooners as this won't stop playing on my mind and I can't bring myself to make a decision.

Cheers,

callumcity

if your not happy now you will hate it in the weeks to come and it wont get any better, me i'd pack my bags pronto, one thing i have never done is hang around when things are not right, do what you feel is right and the fact you have gone to the trouble to post this says your half way there

I'm thick. I had no choice but to come in to retail. I've done ok but work 7 days a week for my sins.
You obviously are bright, don't waste that. Stick it out. Get your degree. Then my friend you will have choices I could only ever dream about.

Hey,

I like your honesty.

I'm 29, worked many jobs, never stuck at something specific as what makes me happy is work that seems to benefit others rather than myself financially, ie; voluntary sector type work.
it makes me happier giving an homeless guy some food than say hitting some sales target in a retail store.

My advice is to appreciate your position. I dropped out of Uni due to ill-health (developing Epilepsy in my 2nd year of a degree)
Get your qualifications.
You don't have to do the suit & tie job straight away, you can gain that piece of paper and maybe go travel for a few years or whatever you want to do.

I'd give my right arm just to have the position you are in.

I initially studied English with Primary Teaching QTS, switched to English Lit and just hated all of it, aside from the books.

Now I run a landscaping co-op, earn next to nothing but I basically pick whatever jobs I want to do. This week I'm installing a herb and sensory garden at a local petting zoo in return for some training on animal handling and drystone walling. We run in the black but don't shake the earth. Happiness can be achieved without loads of money (although it's important to function). I live simply, mostly happily and every week's different. It's mad how things can turn out. Don't expect the guy you are now to be the same in ten years. If you are, something's gone awry in my opinion.

You've done well to get where you are and proven you're more than capable. There is no shame in changing direction, and much better to admit it's not right for you now, than carry on and be miserable. To get such good grades in something you hate doing shows you will fly with the right course or job. All experience is positive so they say!! Best of luck whatever you choose to do.

Grow some balls and stop being a mardy twat

You left home, going back as a failure would be shite

Tough it out and get that degree

you will thank me in 20 years

callumcity said:
Hi Guys,

Cheers,

callumcity

My best advice would be that if you do not feel you have a future in the business world you are being trained up for, then you are wasting your time just "sticking it out". If your heart isn't in it, you're never going to do as well in that career as those who are, and you're also going to fucking hate your job. If the opportunity is there to change degree and study something you are passionate about, then take it with both hands. I won't bore you with anecdotes outlining how wise and awesome this advice is, but its the best answer i can give to your question. Good luck blue. Making the right choice in the big decisions, for the right reasons, are always the things you look back on with pride.

If you're really not happy now then it will more than likely just get harder. My advice would be, if you've made the wrong choice doing a business degree, then move on, but try to make some plans before leaving the course and your job.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.