Bitcoin (cryptocurrency)

Is there anyone there who can point me in the right direction to set up a wallet and buy Bitcoin? It looks like there are scams out there and I don’t trust my google results. PM is fine ;-)

Is there anyone there who can point me in the right direction to set up a wallet and buy Bitcoin? It looks like there are scams out there and I don’t trust my google results. PM is fine ;-)

If you are wanting to store the coins offline yourself then the the most popular hardware wallets are Trezor or Ledger nano. I think if you have a Trezor you can buy coins directly through the Trezor and store them on there (no need for an exchange). You can buy the basic wallets off amazon for about £50. If you get it from Amazon make sure you get it from a reputable supplier and it's properly sealed when it arrives.

If you're happy to leave the coins on an exchange then Coinbase is the pretty straight forward and I believe Binance is too. Some people will say don't leave your coins on an exchange as they're not secure.

If you are wanting to store the coins offline yourself then the the most popular hardware wallets are Trezor or Ledger nano. I think if you have a Trezor you can buy coins directly through the Trezor and store them on there (no need for an exchange). You can buy the basic wallets off amazon for about £50. If you get it from Amazon make sure you get it from a reputable supplier and it's properly sealed when it arrives.

If you're happy to leave the coins on an exchange then Coinbase is the pretty straight forward and I believe Binance is too. Some people will say don't leave your coins on an exchange as they're not secure.
Thanks mate. I’ve just bought some on Coinbase and it was very simple. I’ll be spending them tomorrow so hopefully that should be straightforward too!

Thanks mate. I’ve just bought some on Coinbase and it was very simple. I’ll be spending them tomorrow so hopefully that should be straightforward too!

Nice one. The fees are slightly higher on Coinbase but it's quick and easy to use. I'm not sure I want to know what you're spending them on if you have to pay in Bitcoin!

tell you my story of bitcoin , stumbled across it when it was around 400 dollars about 2015
Bought a couple on localbitcoins, went up to 600 dollars bought some more.

Anyway it was just a question of looking each week to see how much profit I had made.
Then bang it went down and I lost all interest.
Sometime later new computer, and then around 2017 bitcoin hit mainstream news.
" Wow I have some of them I am rich", no I'm not they are on the computer I scrapped.
T o this day I rue my 7 or so coins lost for ever.

tell you my story of bitcoin , stumbled across it when it was around 400 dollars about 2015

Anyway it was just a question of looking each week to see how much profit I had made.
" Wow I have some of them I am rich", no I'm not they are on the computer I scrapped.

They reckon 4 million Bitcoins are lost forever. Which is roughly about 20% of the what will be the total supply, or a current market value of £29,200,000,000

Some bloke in Wales reckons there is a $100 million worth on a tip in Newport https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-offering-welsh-council-74-13993161

For the hard of thinking like me....why can't you just 'log-in' and get them back?

For the hard of thinking like me....why can't you just 'log-in' and get them back?
Presumably they have lost the equivalent of A bank ‘account number’ access key, or the ‘key’ to access the ‘wallet’ that they were storing the bitcoin on.

As there is no tying of an ‘account number’ to a person, other than that which is maintained by the person in the form of remembering the ‘key’, then the bitcoin is effectively lost, as it is cryptographically practically impossible to find the ‘key’.
Something like 1 in 7 bitcoins are ‘lost’ iirc.

Presumably they have lost the equivalent of A bank ‘account number’ access key, or the ‘key’ to access the ‘wallet’ that they were storing the bitcoin on.

As there is no tying of an ‘account number’ to a person, other than that which is maintained by the person in the form of remembering the ‘key’, then the bitcoin is effectively lost, as it is cryptographically practically impossible to find the ‘key’.
Something like 1 in 7 bitcoins are ‘lost’ iirc.
Ah right so whereas I have money in investments that even if I lost my details I could 'get back into', these wallets aren't stored with any company then. I'd assumed Trezor or Ledger nano etc were on-line banks that you put them in.

Ah well, I'll never be in the market anyway.

Thanks for the reply

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.