Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 16 - Spaced Out - RobMCFC (pg 338)

Surprised that nobody has selected one the best slide guitarist's in terms of intonation to grace the earth and IMO Elmore James aside is second to no one in terms of crispness and richness of pitch who along with Richard didn't require a middle name.

So I will start with Day after Day - Badfinger.

For those who still cannot guess his name without a google he almost made on his own Belinda Carlisle's Leave a Light On one of those songs I am sure the likes of Rob would prefer to listen to than Night Boat to Cairo worth listening to.
Well, I never knew George Harrison played on that!

And yes, you are correct, I'd much rather listen to this song than "Night Boat to Cairo".

Go for it - I've already had my three picks.

I failed to notice your Mellancamp nomination!

Doug Wamble is a bleeder in that though he uses a decent amount of slide on his recordings he leaves (imo) his best slide work to solo live performances on a resonator which are then rarely committed to record :-( During lockdown him and his missus did a similar thing to Mr & Mrs Fripp except they were a bit more prolific and a lot more dignified! Anyway...

Doug Wamble - The Heart Collector

Tedeschi Trucks - Midnight In Harlem

Had to be done, before anyone else gets in there! If you get the opportunity to see these guys live it’s an amazing experience. Sorry for just dipping into the thread, life had been a bit traumatic recently.

Such a beautiful song. Sorry to hear things haven't been good, hope they improve for you soon.

'was going to go with Slide Thing for my final pick on the basis it does what it says on the tin! There's a track called I Wonder Why which I think is only on unofficial live recordings which has just insane use of a slide.

I also had "Slide Thing" on my shortlist, but this track had both the instrument and the topical connection of the week in the US, so it was meant to be for me.

Got a full day today and the sun is shining, so I'm going to get my 3rd track in while I still can before the weekend's events and final travels.

Apologies to @Mancitydoogle if this overlaps one of yours, but on the plus side I know it will be enjoyed.

This one builds up to the slide slowly, with some powerful lyrics. The slide doesn't come out right away, but when it does, wow, is it enjoyable!

Children of Children - Jason Isbell

Double slide! He was already one of the most famous musicians ever and then turning out to be brilliant at slide too just seems greedy, but you are right it would have been an odd playlist without him.
Spot on as always ts , just a good old FS no pedal or lap required.

I actually preferred him on slide , I think technically he first used slide dubs on Strawberry Fields albeit on a Mellotron setting.

Paul had previously tried his hand on slide on Drive My Car.

It takes the song Isn't it a Pity probably my favourite of his well known songs but not his best work IMO to a new level.

On another note I am listening to some of Allison Moorer's earlier work as I post this and I have to say you have picked a bloody good artist and a bloody good album pardon the pun a soothing bunch of songs and change of pace full of quality material and quality musicianship.

Such a beautiful song. Sorry to hear things haven't been good, hope they improve for you soon.
Thanks for the thoughts - Mrs Daze has been struggling with her mental health (being married to me doesn’t help!) - off work for a few weeks now. Hopefully things will improve soon and I can annoy you all with shallow reviews and low scores for crap albums ;)

Spot on as always ts , just a good old FS no pedal or lap required.

I actually preferred him on slide , I think technically he first used slide dubs on Strawberry Fields albeit on a Mellotron setting.

Paul had previously tried his hand on slide on Drive My Car.

It takes the song Isn't it a Pity probably my favourite of his well known songs but not his best work IMO to a new level.

On another note I am listening to some of Allison Moorer's earlier work as I post this and I have to say you have picked a bloody good artist and a bloody good album pardon the pun a soothing bunch of songs and change of pace full of quality material and quality musicianship.

I know a whole load of things contributed to their collapse but All Things Must Pass raises one of the great "what if" questions in music, what if Lennon and McCartney (mostly McCartney I think form what I've read) had embraced Harrison's song writing ability rather than chaffing against it.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the pick. I'm slightly worried that @Coatigan is conspicuous by his absence on the music threads these last couple of days, I'm really hoping my nomination hasn't tipped him over the edge!

I know a whole load of things contributed to their collapse but All Things Must Pass raises one of the great "what if" questions in music, what if Lennon and McCartney (mostly McCartney I think form what I've read) had embraced Harrison's song writing ability rather than chaffing against it.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the pick. I'm slightly worried that @Coatigan is conspicuous by his absence on the music threads these last couple of days, I'm really hoping my nomination hasn't tipped him over the edge!

More busy than avoiding. 2 listens in, aiming for 4. Not for me, sorry, can't get past that. The ballads on the album are for me far more suitable than the upbeat ones, and her voice and delivery is in no way grating. But ultimately, I cringe more than I tap/nod etc.

I really don't know what it is about that genre that I can't get over. It is after all Folk's 'cousin', and I love Folk. But then I love my wife and her cousin is a bit of a bellend, so there's that.

More busy than avoiding. 2 listens in, aiming for 4. Not for me, sorry, can't get past that. The ballads on the album are for me far more suitable than the upbeat ones, and her voice and delivery is in no way grating. But ultimately, I cringe more than I tap/nod etc.

I really don't know what it is about that genre that I can't get over. It is after all Folk's 'cousin', and I love Folk. But then I love my wife and her cousin is a bit of a bellend, so there's that.

That last sentence made me laugh.

Who knows why certain genres do or don't work for people, maybe there's some subliminal trauma in your past? Did your parents dress you up in cowboy outfits to make you look 'cute' when you were little?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.