Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 18 - BM Openers - Out on blue 6 (pg 353)

Rob, I'll add in my best wishes and prayers for you to get things addressed as you noted in that thread.

Sorry for being late to the news today, but its been a busy week at the office. I'm still not through the full playlist yet to review it, but that will be this weekend. And speaking of @BimboBob's playlist, I'm thinking of you too on the same health front.

I'd echo Rob's recommendations for those of us north of mid 40's (a good many of the active here) to stay on top of prostate testing and the colonoscopy. No fun to talk about, but early detection does help from a few of my friends and a cousin who have had similar issues.

I know this is tough for your family, and I know your strength and approach to things will help you all get through this.
Thanks. Music is one of the things that keeps me going, so getting stuck into these fantastic threads we have here is a great help.

Appropos of absolutely nothing whilst people post their comments on this weeks list (well not entirely unconnected as I think Yvonne Elliman singing I don't know how to love him is a pretty good love song) I have just found out that the first person to sing the part of Jesus in Jesus Christ Superstar was actually Ian Gillan. He's on the original album which apparently was made to try and get funding for the stage show which no one was prepared to back initially.

Love

Thanks to @BimboBob for putting this playlist concept together. This was a well-focused playlist that had a lot of songs I mostly knew, but the ones I wasn't familiar with were very nice.

The initial 5 songs were all new-to-me tracks I hadn't heard, but I really enjoyed all of them. I'd put all 5 on my list of favourites, with Talk Talk, KALEO, Thunder, and ABC being standout selections. Thunder was the only band I wasn't familiar with before, and when I first heard the opening, I thought I was listening to Skid Row's "18 and Life". ;-)

The Big Winner
“I Don't Believe In You” – Talk Talk
. Just a fantastic moody piece with nice wailing guitars. A shame I missed this in the mid-80's. Always a new gem here, thanks BimboBob!

My top 5 other new tracks (not yet heard in some or no particular order):
  1. “Soul Boy" – The Blue Nile, a strong vocal song that doesn't try to hard, but wow, does it deliver a mood
  2. "Loud Like Love" - Placebo, really liking this band every time they show up here
  3. “Thankfully For Anthony” – Bill Ryder-Jones, just a powerful song
  4. "I Can't Make It Alone" - Marie McKee, very catching and nice groove to it
  5. "Andmoreagain" - Love
Best of a song I knew
“Dust to Dust – The Civil Wars,
just a brilliant duet about letting love in

Top 5 tracks I knew but enjoyed listening to again (in some or no particular order):
  1. "First Day of My Life" - Bright Eyes, have shown up on some of my indie radio related tunes
  2. "Since I've Been Loving You" - Led Zeppelin, the classic where Page and Plant bring it on home off their most underrated album
  3. "All My Love" - Led Zeppelin, JPJ criticized for this album back in the day, but I always disagreed
  4. "No One's Gonna Love You" - Band of Horses, a favourite performed live
  5. "Tunnel of Love" - Bruce Springsteen, another song that foretold of a future split

Last edited:
Love

Thanks to @BimboBob for putting this playlist concept together. This was a well-focused playlist that had a lot of songs I mostly knew, but the ones I wasn't familiar with were very nice.

The initial 5 songs were all new-to-me tracks I hadn't heard, but I really enjoyed all of them. I'd put all 5 on my list of favourites, with Talk Talk, KALEO, Thunder, and ABC being standout selections. Thunder was the only band I wasn't familiar with before, and when I first heard the opening, I thought I was listening to Skid Row's "18 and Life". ;-)

The Big Winner
“I Don't Believe In You” – Talk Talk
. Just a fantastic moody piece with nice wailing guitars. A shame I missed this in the mid-80's. Always a new gem here, thanks BimboBob!

My top 5 other new tracks (not yet heard in some or no particular order):
  1. “Soul Boy" – The Blue Nile, a strong vocal song that doesn't try to hard, but wow, does it deliver a mood
  2. "Loud Like Love" - Placebo, really liking this band every time they show up here
  3. “Thankfully For Anthony” – Bill Ryder-Jones, just powerful song
  4. "I Can't Make It Alone" - Marie McKee, very catching and nice groove to it
  5. "Andmoreagain" - Love
Best of a song I knew
“Dust to Dust – The Civil Wars,
just a brilliant duet about letting love in

Top 5 tracks I knew but enjoyed listening to again (in some or no particular order):
  1. "First Davy of My Life" - Bright Eyes, have shown up on some of my indie radio related tunes
  2. "Since I've Been Loving You" - Led Zeppelin, the classic where Page and Plant bring it on home off their most underrated album
  3. "All My Love" - Led Zeppelin, JPJ criticized for this album back in the day, but I always disagreed
  4. "No One's Gonna Love You" - Band of Horses, a favorite performed live
  5. "Tunnel of Love" - Bruce Springsteen, another song that foretold of a future split

If you're not familiar with Talk Talk definitely have a listen both to the album that track comes from and at some point the rest of their/his catalogue.

If you're not familiar with Talk Talk definitely have a listen both to the album that track comes from and at some point the rest of their/his catalogue.
I'm just familiar with the 80's standards of "It's My Life" and "Talk Talk". Loved those, and obviously missed others. Will be checking them out with plenty of time before tomorrow's new playlist. ;-)

I'm just familiar with the 80's standards of "It's My Life" and "Talk Talk". Loved those, and obviously missed others. Will be checking them out with plenty of time before tomorrow's new playlist. ;-)
Mark Hollis was always an album man, hated being told to release singles. Check out the It's My Life video. Refused to sing. Also used to mine out of sync if they couldn’t play live on TV shows.

Their is no doubt that Mark Hollis was at his peak when he wrote the songs for The Colour of Spring and I still have the album in vinyl where it can easily be found. Another who left us way too early albeit for the right reasons he basically checked out of writing and playing music in the early nineties to focus on family.

Little wonder this album was critically acclaimed and Mark's influence lives on.

Their is no doubt that Mark Hollis was at his peak when he wrote the songs for The Colour of Spring and I still have the album in vinyl where it can easily be found. Another who left us way too early albeit for the right reasons he basically checked out of writing and playing music in the early nineties to focus on family.

Little wonder this album was critically acclaimed and Mark's influence lives on.

I know the change of direction on Spirit of Eden wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I like it and the subsequent work too. Hard to argue about The Colour of Spring as the peak though

I think he found it a pretty obvious choice to check out and focus on being a Dad etc because he was never really into the fame side of things. This contrasts with quite a few musicians who seem emotionally more wired to be a performer than a spouse or parent and struggle to reconcile the two.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.