Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 18 - BM Openers - Out on blue 6 (pg 353)

Oh fuck, I might take my holidays that week ;).

Oh FFS, et tu Foggus!

The walls are closing in Coat, you just need to give yourself over to that high lonesome sound ! (though I imagine Fogs pick won't quite be of that nature )

On this Time playlist - I was going to offer up He Stopped Loving Her Today by George Jones but thought better of it!!!

This one will be popular!

A radio friendly, Rush: “Time Stand Still”.

A song that really takes me back to a time a place. This got a lot of airplay towards the end of my secondment in Nashville back in 1987. It made #3 in the US singles chart.
It is with me. My favourite Rush song, with the added bonus of Aimee Mann, another of my favourites, on backing vocals.

The walls are closing in Coat, you just need to give yourself over to that high lonesome sound ! (though I imagine Fogs pick won't quite be of that nature )

On this Time playlist - I was going to offer up He Stopped Loving Her Today by George Jones but thought better of it!!!
I don't like that high lonesome typical country sound either - there's so much better stuff in the country realm these days.

In a continuing spoiler, you don't have to worry about anything like that from today's nomination.

I don't like that high lonesome typical country sound either - there's so much better stuff in the country realm these days.

In a continuing spoiler, you don't have to worry about anything like that from today's nomination.

Surprised actually, I'd have had you down as liking a little bit of bluegrass now and then.

Surprised actually, I'd have had you down as liking a little bit of bluegrass now and then.
Yes, I do. But I'd take Billy Strings' progressive approach over any of the traditionalists.

It's also no coincidence that my favourite album of all time, The Lonesome Jubilee, is an album full of traditional Appalachian instruments playing hooks and licks that any modern pop or rock act would kill for.

Yes, I do. But I'd take Billy Strings' progressive approach over any of the traditionalists.

It's also no coincidence that my favourite album of all time, The Lonesome Jubilee, is an album full of traditional Appalachian instruments playing hooks and licks that any modern pop or rock act would kill for.

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes, to me I'm not sure Billy Strings sounds that different to a traditional sound, at least on some of his stuff anyway, but then I'm equally unclear why Alison Krauss gets categorised as progressive when most of the time she sounds pretty traditional to me - things like the vocal gapping, the less common chord progressions and the syncopation are still there which makes them good for me.

I wasn't around for Lonesome Jubilee keep meaning to have a proper listen, if Fog's pick turns out to be familiar I might sub it in for a play or two.

You've done a good job as Foggy's hype man, I'm looking forward to whatever it is!

Last edited:
Maybe we're talking at cross purposes, to me I'm not sure Billy Strings sounds that different to a traditional sound, at least on some of his stuff anyway, but then I'm equally unclear why Alison Krauss gets categorised as progressive when most of the time she sounds pretty traditional to me - things like the vocal gapping, the less common chord progressions and the syncopation are still there which makes them good for me.

I wasn't around for Lonesome Jubilee keep meaning to have a proper listen, if Fog's pick turns out to be familiar I might sub it in for a play or two.

You've done a good job as Foggy's hype man, I'm looking forward to whatever it is!
Ha ha! Yes, I was thinking that maybe I'm overselling it an therefore doing him a disservice, but I think a lot will like it.

It's an act I'd never heard of and it will be interesting to see how many know it.

It is with me. My favourite Rush song, with the added bonus of Aimee Mann, another of my favourites, on backing vocals.
Yeah, I figured I could count on one of you for that track, so "I Left That Thing Alone". ;-)

(and you still have a third pick of your own too)

Aimee Mann can nearly turn any track into gold, true enough. Loved the video too!

That was my one tour where I had a backstage pass to see Rush during college, and Rush had to postpone the show because of Geddy Lee having laryngitis (shocker, right?). I made alternate plans that night already being on the road to see Yes about an hour away (Big Generator tour), but it wasn't nearly the same.

Yes, she does add to the song. It’s one of my favourite Rush tracks.

I didn’t know that Aimee Mann was about third choice for the female vocal. Cindi Lauper and Chrissie Hyde were first and second choice. Worked out well in the end though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.