Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 19 - Dynamic Duos - Coatigan (pg 368)

It could even be the next topic here as I don't believe that concept has been taken before.

And it's making me think this evening while now nervously watching USA-Panama football 10 v 11.
The only reason I’m still up is I’ve no work tomorrow.
Sipping a brandy watching SRV tear it up on YouTube having OD’ed on Rory.

I’ve had a few ideas running through my head, asking Rob’s advice along the way.

A bit concerned that we have enough musical threads going at the same time.

The only reason I’m still up is I’ve no work tomorrow.
Sipping a brandy watching SRV tear it up on YouTube having OD’ed on Rory.

I’ve had a few ideas running through my head, asking Rob’s advice along the way.

A bit concerned that we have enough musical threads going at the same time.
Not sleeping too well at the moment and as ever, I lay there thinking about 101 different things, one of which just popped into my head out of the blue as a great idea for a music thread. One that has the potential for mass participation.

However, like you said, we have enough at the moment, certainly whilst the Bluemoon Cup is in progress, but maybe one for the future.

What I like about OB6's song choices, is they are often not surprising, and yet they are. In the sense they are by bands you tend to know and recognise, but yet the songs picked feel new and excite. The opening 5 are similar. Really liked the Midlake track (that Rob previously introduced me to), Ride, and the Flaming Lips songs. The beach boys was a good one too, not the strongest to open with imo ;).

We there is a really good run with Marley, Marillion and Zappa that strings together nicely. A couple stand outs in beck and the stunning, and a strong finish with the orb. Can happily keep listening to this down the line I think.

What I like about OB6's song choices, is they are often not surprising, and yet they are. In the sense they are by bands you tend to know and recognise, but yet the songs picked feel new and excite. The opening 5 are similar. Really liked the Midlake track (that Rob previously introduced me to), Ride, and the Flaming Lips songs. The beach boys was a good one too, not the strongest to open with imo ;).

We there is a really good run with Marley, Marillion and Zappa that strings together nicely. A couple stand outs in beck and the stunning, and a strong finish with the orb. Can happily keep listening to this down the line I think.
I actually had He's Simple,He's Dumb,He's The Pilot by Grandaddy on originally instead of Midlake but changed my mind. Will come back to Grandaddy another time.

Have to say I’m really enjoying this playlist.
Had it on shuffle all through dinner. Even stuff that I wouldn’t have put on in a million years is working very well in the eclectic mix.
Enough there for the missus too. Alison Moyet or Yazoo and Depeche Mode were always her kind of thing.
I had the ODelay album and really loved it. I must revisit Beck. That song on here is really good.
Chilling now with Marley.

BM – Openers
Thanks to @Out on blue 6 for putting this playlist concept together. This had both some pretty diverse and some strong selections only with that placement on the respective albums in common. A lot I’d not yet heard, and that’s always good when strong like this.

The Big Winner
For me, it was the first 5 tracks collectively, with 4 out of 5 being new enjoyables
  1. “Sail On, Sailor” – The Beach Boys, a strong vocal performance by South African Blondie Chaplin, a track I’ve not yet heard that may be my favourite of them all
  2. “Love Vigilantes” – New Order, a campfire singalong song that was not something I was familiar with
  3. “Leave Them All Behind” – Ride, another strong song and a band I need to check out further given their musical influences
  4. “Race For the Prize” – The Flaming Lips, a fantastic opener to a great album that got me into this band
  5. “Roscoe” – Midlake, a really strong indie folk song from a band I’ve not yet heard of
My top 10 other new tracks (not yet heard in some or no particular order):
  1. “Waiting For The Sun” – The Jayhawks, nicely done song all around
  2. “This Town Ain’t Big Enough” – Sparks, just enjoyed this song every time I heard it, humming along and enjoying the guitars and vocals
  3. “Smoke and Sweets” – Midnight Ambulance, a powerful song
  4. “Brewing Up a Storm” – The Stunning, great live band (I’ve read), but sadly not touring near me
  5. “Shanty” – The Bright Light Social Hour, pretty cool song and album graphic!
  6. “Assassing” – Marillion, Andy Bradfield, Avril Mackintosh, pretty cool song from a band I need to hear more from
  7. “Little Fluffy Clouds” – The Orb, an interesting and enjoyable song
  8. “Follow Me” - Rory Gallagher, great guitars to end the 1970’s on display here
  9. “Highway 5” – Blessing, liking those early 90’s synths, and a piano player I recognize!
  10. “Mining For Gold” – Cowboy Junkies, very nicely performed song
Top 8 tracks I knew but enjoyed listening to again (in some or no particular order):
  1. “Longing” – Orlando Weeks, very good new album in 2024, glad Coatigan is enjoying it too!
  2. “What’s Going On” – Marvin Gaye, the song that defined the album, such a good placement for this song
  3. “Kid Charlemagne” – Steely Dan, one of their best of all time from my favourite album of theirs
  4. “The Golden Age” – Beck, quite the chill mood song, have always enjoyed this one
  5. “Lively Up Yourself” – Bob Marley & The Wailers, a classic opener from the classic album
  6. “The Modern Leper” – Frightened Rabbit, I’ve been catching up on this band in between other selections, nice song
  7. “Sleepwalk” – Ultravox, a blast from the past indeed
  8. “Riff Raff” – AC/DC, loved this live album, pretty cool it was recorded in Glasgow

I've got two playlists and themes ready for Monday. Still can't decide which to go with. Given this thread has no guessing, secrecy or such, might as well get group input on this to help decide.

1. Songs that reference cancer. With a couple members of these threads openly dealing with it, while I don't always readily say supportive stuff, the though is there for yous. And no doubt others will have friends and family members dealing with it too.

It is however maybe a well intended but ultimately shallow attempt, as the songs I end up with aren't really any form of 'music therapy', some just use it as a metaphor for something else. It is also a fairly samey set of songs, by bands most of which I have put up before. It might also be just too niche to get enough contribution.

2. Dynamic Duos. A broader simpler theme. Bands with only 2 people in them. Easy right! I have a set of 5, again, a little bit samey. Partly, because the two in question tend to often be a drummer and bassist/guitarist. And partly because while there are a fair few to pick from, I tried to leave out the more obvious ones for others to pick.

Happy to take thoughts, in case they help sway me kne way or another. Ultimately, the most important thing is that the music itself is enjoyable and engaging.

BM – Openers
Thanks to @Out on blue 6 for putting this playlist concept together. This had both some pretty diverse and some strong selections only with that placement on the respective albums in common. A lot I’d not yet heard, and that’s always good when strong like this.

The Big Winner
For me, it was the first 5 tracks collectively, with 4 out of 5 being new enjoyables
  1. “Sail On, Sailor” – The Beach Boys, a strong vocal performance by South African Blondie Chaplin, a track I’ve not yet heard that may be my favourite of them all
  2. “Love Vigilantes” – New Order, a campfire singalong song that was not something I was familiar with
  3. “Leave Them All Behind” – Ride, another strong song and a band I need to check out further given their musical influences
  4. “Race For the Prize” – The Flaming Lips, a fantastic opener to a great album that got me into this band
  5. “Roscoe” – Midlake, a really strong indie folk song from a band I’ve not yet heard of
My top 10 other new tracks (not yet heard in some or no particular order):
  1. “Waiting For The Sun” – The Jayhawks, nicely done song all around
  2. “This Town Ain’t Big Enough” – Sparks, just enjoyed this song every time I heard it, humming along and enjoying the guitars and vocals
  3. “Smoke and Sweets” – Midnight Ambulance, a powerful song
  4. “Brewing Up a Storm” – The Stunning, great live band (I’ve read), but sadly not touring near me
  5. “Shanty” – The Bright Light Social Hour, pretty cool song and album graphic!
  6. “Assassing” – Marillion, Andy Bradfield, Avril Mackintosh, pretty cool song from a band I need to hear more from
  7. “Little Fluffy Clouds” – The Orb, an interesting and enjoyable song
  8. “Follow Me” - Rory Gallagher, great guitars to end the 1970’s on display here
  9. “Highway 5” – Blessing, liking those early 90’s synths, and a piano player I recognize!
  10. “Mining For Gold” – Cowboy Junkies, very nicely performed song
Top 8 tracks I knew but enjoyed listening to again (in some or no particular order):
  1. “Longing” – Orlando Weeks, very good new album in 2024, glad Coatigan is enjoying it too!
  2. “What’s Going On” – Marvin Gaye, the song that defined the album, such a good placement for this song
  3. “Kid Charlemagne” – Steely Dan, one of their best of all time from my favourite album of theirs
  4. “The Golden Age” – Beck, quite the chill mood song, have always enjoyed this one
  5. “Lively Up Yourself” – Bob Marley & The Wailers, a classic opener from the classic album
  6. “The Modern Leper” – Frightened Rabbit, I’ve been catching up on this band in between other selections, nice song
  7. “Sleepwalk” – Ultravox, a blast from the past indeed
  8. “Riff Raff” – AC/DC, loved this live album, pretty cool it was recorded in Glasgow

I was going to ask how could you not have heard This Town by Sparks but then I remembered despite being from LA they were a lot better received in the UK than the US I think?

There's probably a 'no prophet accepted in his own land' playlist theme of artists loved in countries other than their own.

Could kick it off with a track from The Hoff who I seem to remember was beloved in Germany ! :-)

Edit: I withdraw taking the piss out of The Hoff as I've just remembered he was the only cast member who could be arsed to turn up for the Baywatch shoot of Regret by NO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.