Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 22 - BimboBob - Songs With Only One Word In The Title (pg 396)

I didn’t get a ruling on The Walls, so I might omit them and go with MGMT for my last pick.
It was the sound of the summer back in 2007 or 2008. And since we’re not exactly getting one over here this year, then this is a nice way for me to finish.
Didn’t go with Kids or Electric Feel, two great tunes.
Instead I’ll go with;
Time To Pretend - MGMT

I have the Dynamic Duos on now and have had pretty much all week, barring the few that were added today.
For the most part it’s all been good fun. A nice change from my usual.
Have to say the list got off to a good start but started to lag a bit for me in the middle, but looks like it is coming strong at the end again.

Impressed with;
Teen Mortgage- not bad, different for me.
Midnight Ambulance - really interesting.
Depeche Mode - oddly enough for me.
The Black Keys - solid.
Indigo Girls - new to me.
Finn Bros. - not bad.
Hug he/Thrall - great guitar, in a Miami Vice kind of way.
King Hannah, SVT - nice, smooth.
Black Pumas- still holding my interest.
Watchhouse - the peculiar thing about this is, for pure country, it has grown on me, while the initial hit of Big & Rich has definitely warn off me. I think it’s the Texas thing in the lyrics. It just starts to sound contrived.

A bit of a lull then for a bit.

But then the stand out for me;
The Cold Stares - nice and raw. That’s how I like it.

A special mention then for Kulk. This is the first time listening to it all the way through. I’m normally told to turn that crap off. But I have the place to myself today, so I didn’t turn that crap off. ‘ nuff said.

After that? Peggy and Ewan are quirky but not something I would play on a playlist every week. As I said a big Thank you to Stonerblue for First Aid Kit, from my missus. Nothing really jumps out at me although I have always loved the Jon & Vangelis track.

Edit: I should mention that the bit of reggae thrown in is always welcome. Clint Eastwood, General Saint make it difficult not to get those feet moving.

Last edited:
I half expected spires to put this one or one like it, since he hasnt, i'll finish off with Sam and Dave, when something is wrong..

Others that were on my list, worth a mention.

Run the jewels,
john timestwo,
The blue stones,
Royal blood,
Bob Vylan

Been a really good one this, woth lots of new stuff uncovered. And nobody (unless i missed it) went with simon and garf! Or the Proclaimers!

I half expected spires to put this one or one like it, since he hasnt, i'll finish off with Sam and Dave, when something is wrong..

Run the jewels,
john timestwo,
The blue stones,
Royal blood,
Bob Vylan

Been a really good one this, woth lots of new stuff uncovered. And nobody (unless i missed it) went with simon and garf! Or the Proclaimers!
1720368827578.jpeg

Run the jewels,
john timestwo,
The blue stones,
Royal blood,
Bob Vylan

They were on my mind, I'd have probably gone with Wrap It Up but then I'd have nominated a soul duo track that wasn't Otis and Carla, which just seems wrong.
I then got distracted into saying a cheery goodbye to our last government.

Thanks to @Coatigan for the playlist concept.

There's no doubt that this is a playlist with great variation, but most of it didn't stick with me, so it's a short list of the best bits for me.

The stand-out best song on the playlist

"Rollin' (The Ballad of Big & Rich) - Big & Rich
- a new act to me but its seems they are well known in the States.
This track has a bit of everything: a magnificent organ opening, some great banjo, funny lyrics and what sounds like Mexican rap.
This is a magnificent and joyous antidote to the dreary run of Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears and OMD :)
My wife's laughing at me listening to this, but I don't care.

Others that I enjoyed

"Black Gloves" - Midnight Ambulance
"Jonas & Ezekial" - Indigo Girls
"More Than A Love Song" - Black Pumas
"Daylight" - Watchhouse
"My Silver Lining" - First Aid Kit
"Mutineer" - Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires
"Flying" - Moon Duo

Perhaps predictably I'm finding the variation very enjoyable and the majority of this very appealing; it could turn into one of my favourites from this thread. Don't think I appreciated how much I like the duo format.

In terms of ones that didn't make the grade for nomination beyond Sam and Dave (and btw @Coatigan that is a great way to close the playlist) amongst others, I decided against great records by acts of diverse as The Civil Wars, Nova Twins and Yazoo (I suspect I'm alone in thinking they are up there as the great lost duo of pop!) but I've done two of those three recently anyway.

The Nova Twins I was going to post for a when is a duo not a duo type discussion (does a shopping trolley full of pedals and workstations count as a third band member like Winston in OMD?) and the difference between predominantly studio duos and live 'proper band' duos.

Anyway suspect it will be easier to list my dislikes than likes but I'm not a fan of doing that.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.