Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 22 - BimboBob - Songs With Only One Word In The Title (pg 396)

Perhaps predictably I'm finding the variation very enjoyable and the majority of this very appealing; it could turn into one of my favourites from this thread. Don't think I appreciated how much I like the duo format.

In terms of ones that didn't make the grade for nomination beyond Sam and Dave (and btw @Coatigan that is a great way to close the playlist) amongst others, I decided against great records by acts of diverse as The Civil Wars, Nova Twins and Yazoo (I suspect I'm alone in thinking they are up there as the great lost duo of pop!) but I've done two of those three recently anyway.

The Nova Twins I was going to post for a when is a duo not a duo type discussion (does a shopping trolley full of pedals and workstations count as a third band member like Winston in OMD?) and the difference between predominantly studio duos and live 'proper band' duos.

Anyway suspect it will be easier to list my dislikes than likes but I'm not a fan of doing that.
Ah go on.

It’s amazing where these music threads bring you.
Between some of the stuff in here and The Blue Nile album for review I find myself back in the 80’s.
A sudden urge to listen to ‘World Machine’ again.
That’s the Level I’m at now.

It’s amazing where these music threads bring you.
Between some of the stuff in here and The Blue Nile album for review I find myself back in the 80’s.
And don't forget the Struts overall sound feeling vibe of that album.

This said from the guy who nominated "Listen" from TFF, so perhaps you were already back there? ;-)

(but wait until you see where it lands on my review of the playlist, so don't assume the worst)

And don't forget the Struts overall sound feeling vibe of that album.

This said from the guy who nominated "Listen" from TFF, so perhaps you were already back there? ;-)

(but wait until you see where it lands on my review of the playlist, so don't assume the worst)
I make no apologies for TFF or OMD for that matter although I think Rob found them depressing.

BM – Dynamic Duos
Thanks to @Coatigan for putting this playlist concept together. While there wasn’t an overriding theme heard throughout the songs given this theme was about the groups of 2, it was good to hear some new and familiar material from both. Of the first 5 songs, all were new to me, and that was a good start to the list with most being quite enjoyable. “The Title Track” from Origami Angel was the best of the group, with “Black Gloves” from Midnight Ambulance being another strong one for their second in a row mention from a playlist. “Forever You and Me” from The Tesky Brothers also hit a good mark.

The Big Winner
“My Silver Lining” – First Aid Kit
, not one I knew (both song and group), so this was a welcome surprise from this Swedish indie folk group who released this track 10 years ago. Really liked the vocal harmonies here, they weren’t as strictly distinct at the Indigo Girls on most of their track, but they really worked well together on this song.

My top 10 other new tracks (not yet heard in some or no particular order):
  1. “Daylight” – Watchhouse, just beautiful vocal harmonies on this one, really enjoyed the fiddle too
  2. “Flying” – Moon Duo, liked the psychedelic sound from this San Fran duo
  3. “Big Swimmer” – King Hannah, Sharon Van Etten, reminded me of a slow rolling Aimee Mann track with a nice guitar ending
  4. “Dream Baby Dream” – Suicide, more influential than commercial, this was a well done track for a duo that influenced much of the 80’s synth duos
  5. “I Hear You Now” – Jon & Vangelis, haven’t listened to enough of Mr. Anderson’s outside projects with Vangelis, though I’ve read about it through the years as a big Yes fan, this sounded great
  6. “When Something Is Wrong From My Baby” – Sam & Dave, not one of their classics I was familiar with, but very nice
  7. “It’s Grim Up North” – The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, hilariously well done, recognized a few towns I’ve visited or passed by on the LNER
  8. “Eyes of the World” – The Finn Brothers, really liked the mid-tempo tone of this
  9. “Legal/Illegal” – Ewan MacColl, Peggy Seeger, enjoyed the overall humour heard here
  10. “Mutineer” – Jason and Amanda, hadn’t heard this one before, and a bit sad to listen to now
Top 5 tracks I knew but enjoyed listening to again (in some or no particular order):
  1. “More Than A Love Song” – Black Pumas, my favourite song off their latest album
  2. “Listen” – Tears For Fears, Curt Smith’s strong vocals on that album showcased on this song
  3. Tighten Up” – The Black Keys, one of their rock staples
  4. “Before We Drown” – Depeche Mode, enjoyable tune from their nicely done 2023 album
  5. “Rollin’” – Big & Rich, original to the carbon copy of “Comin’ to Your City”, the ESPN College Gameday staple, rinse and repeat

Last edited:
Been a bit absent off here, looking forward to seeing what @mancity2012_eamo has for us this week! A bit of an exciting curveball coming up I woukd think.

Ah go on.

Nooo, though I will admit I've never really got Hall and Oates :-)

There's been a good mix of the mellow and the upbeat on this and a nice bit of noise with Kulk, who are getting love for their use of a micro brute in their sound; we've got one and I think it's probably my favourite instrument in the house in terms of bang per buck, cheap as chips every home should have one.

Particularly like the duos who have some familial relationship be it blood or matrimonial, it often adds something special though obviously sad where it goes pear shaped like Isbell and Shires.

Pick of the tracks unknown to me were Moon Duo, Tennis and Midnight Ambulance.

DYNAMIC DUOS

good choice as a number of tracks I was unfamiliar with.
Of the original 5 really liked The Teskey Brothers country soul track.
Origami Angel was ok but thanks to Bimbobob reminded me of The Rembrandts!
Cleopatrick also good.

Tracks I also enjoyed but didn’t know
Indigo Girls
Finn brothers
Big and Rich
The Cold Stares

Ones I know and like
The Black Keys
The Brothers Johnson
Clint Eastwood,General Saint
MGMT

Big Door Prize goes to The Black Pumas, I’ve got the first album but wasn’t aware they’d realeased another last year, love the way they get that sixties soul sound.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.