Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 23 - Black&White&BlueMoon Town - Tailgating Music (pg 404)

Thanks to @mancity2012_eamo for putting this concept together.
I know he spent a fair bit of time agonising over how to present this and worrying about the format, but I think a couple of weeks watching some live performances
on YouTube will make a nice change.

I don't think people will be learning too much from my selected clips but hopefully it will reinforce how good they all are live. Following on from @threespires idea, I'll call mine the headline stage - minimum 50,0000 capacity for my acts!

"Enter Sandman" - Metallica

I'm not a big Metallica fan but I do love this song. My wife actually found this version one day and I just love the outdoor setting in Trondheim in the summer.
No doubt it was about 11PM local time, but still light. Of course, the band's performance is great, with added pyrotechnics.

"Youngstown" - Bruce Springsteen

I was originally going to go with "Badlands" from the same show, but went for this song instead.
Not only is "Youngstown" one of his great songs, it's an electrifying performance that is bolstered by accordion and fiddle and lit up by Nils Lofgren's incendiary solo.

Lyrically, I think Bruce Springsteen is a much better songwriter than many give him credit for. On this song, he takes on the history of the iron and steel industry in Youngstown and the surrounding area. In the chorus, when he sings "My sweet Jenny I'm sinking down", most listeners would assume that Jenny is the protagonist's wife,
but it's actually the nickname of the Jeanette Blast Furnace, owned by Youngstown Sheet and Tube, which shut down in 1977.

Some of the lyrics reference the bitterness at how the mills provided what the US needed for its wars but then were shutdown by "the big boys":-

Well my daddy come on the Ohio works
When he come home from world war two
Now the yards just scrap and rubble
He said, “Them big boys did what Hitler couldn’t do”
These mills they built the tanks and bombs
That won this country’s wars
We sent our sons to Korea and Vietnam
Now we’re wondering what they were dyin’ for

"Fingers of Love" - Crowded House

My favourite Crowded House song from the end of their Farewell to the World concert on the steps of Sydney Opera House in November 1996.
Of course, they would come back a number of times over the years in various configurations but they never matched the magic of those initial four studio albums.
The original trio of Neil Finn, Paul Hester and Nick Seymour is here bolstered by American Mark Hart, who played guitar on the Together Alone album from where this track comes.

I'm going down the route of 3 songs by 1 band...I wonder which one!!

First up we have "I feel You" from 2006. A great song that starts off very mellow before everything kicks in and doesn't stop until the end. Great driving drums from Mr Eiger.

For the middle I'll have to pick "Enjoy The Silence" from the 2013/2014 Delta Machine Tour in Berlin. Great version with a lovely middle mix.

And last but not least..."Never Let Me Down Again" from the fabulous 101 album. Filmed in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl in 1988. The documentary that goes with the album is definitely worth a watch. A belter of an ending song which leads to much arm waving.

This has an added bonus...I was at all 3 concerts. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks @RobMCFC and @BimboBob

The way things unexpectedly turned out I won’t have as much time these two weeks as I thought I would.

I know you can nest playlists within a playlist. That would have been a great way of picking and choosing which act to visit within the festival. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to investigate how. I think you may need Premium.

No matter. I’ll put a content list together when we get all contributions in and it’ll tell you at what number each persons choice starts.

As promised, I’m selecting performances from bands I’ve seen live in concert, although I was not at any of these particular shows, unlike Bimbo’s 3 for 3 (damn impressive!).

I’ve also chosen these performances for different reasons, which I’ll expand upon for each one.

"YYZ" – Rush (the crowd)

Part of the attraction of the best concerts is experiencing a song you enjoy in a new and different environment and version, often more than just the album can convey. Well, this concert in Rio back on 23 November 2002 had the band in top form as well as the crowd singing and jumping along in perfect unison with this song. Honestly, this made me jealous for the great versions I experienced over the years that never came close to this audience participation and interaction. Just something to marvel and appreciate when a band and crowd become one during a show.

“Who Knows Who Cares” - Local Natives (the setting)

Like Coatigan, I’m also a big fan of this group, and their amazing concert on their 2019 tour is not one I’ll soon forget – this song was their final encore. I wanted to get a unique one-of-a-kind performance for my second selection, one out of the ordinary for a live show. This was from the A Take Away Show series, which are filmed live sessions with an artist or a band, invited to play on the street, in a bar, a garden, an apartment with the unexpected, doubts and extraordinary. This was filmed back in 2010 at the ornate Palais Royal hotel while the band was on tour in Paris, and is one of my favourites on their take of a fantastic song from their debut album.

“The Ghost of Tom Joad” – Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band, & Tom Morello (the unexpected)

Like Rob, I’m a big fan of Bruce Springsteen’s 1995 folk album The Ghost of Tom Joad. Some of Bruce’s fan favourite and well-regarded albums are acoustic pieces he’s released solo, which was the case here without the E Street band. However, when in concert with the band, these songs usually take on a totally different interpretation and vision, as Rob nominated the fantastic “Youngstown” from that same album that was a very impressive live departure from the folk version on the album. Well, add in Tom Morello, lead guitarist from Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave, and you get this amazing instant classic of the title song performed for the first time less than a year earlier. I watched mesmerized the first time I saw this performance, and later heard how Tom surprised Bruce with this same groundbreaking guitar solo the first time he joined the band for this song. Sadly I haven’t seen this version of the song performed live, though I’ve seen Bruce countless times over the years. This performance is from 2009 at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th anniversary concert, soon after the first time it was introduced on stage.

Last edited:
I'm going down the route of 3 songs by 1 band...I wonder which one!!

First up we have "I feel You" from 2006. A great song that starts off very mellow before everything kicks in and doesn't stop until the end. Great driving drums from Mr Eiger.

For the middle I'll have to pick "Enjoy The Silence" from the 2013/2014 Delta Machine Tour in Berlin. Great version with a lovely middle mix.

And last but not least..."Never Let Me Down Again" from the fabulous 101 album. Filmed in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl in 1988. The documentary that goes with the album is definitely worth a watch. A belter of an ending song which leads to much arm waving.

This has an added bonus...I was at all 3 concerts. Enjoy.

Well that's a surprise! S

Like Coatigan, I’m also a big fan of this group, and their amazing concert on their 2019 tour is not one I’ll soon forget – this song was their final encore. I wanted to get a unique one-of-a-kind performance for my second selection, one out of the ordinary for a live show. This was from the A Take Away Show series, which are filmed live sessions with an artist or a band, invited to play on the street, in a bar, a garden, an apartment with the unexpected, doubts and extraordinary. This was filmed back in 2010 at the ornate Palais Royal hotel while the band was on tour in Paris, and is one of my favourites on their take of a fantastic song from their debut album.

I had toyed with this song, this version of it too. Ultimately, Ceilings is my favourit if theirs. As interesting as this take on it is as well, I do much prefer the album bersion of WKWC. But glad to see it included. Riad Mahrez really does wail though, doesn't he!

As promised, I’m selecting performances from bands I’ve seen live in concert, although I was not at any of these particular shows, unlike Bimbo’s 3 for 3 (damn impressive!).

I’ve also chosen these performances for different reasons, which I’ll expand upon for each one.

"YYZ" – Rush (the crowd)

Part of the attraction of the best concerts is experiencing a song you enjoy in a new and different environment and version, often more than just the album can convey. Well, this concert in Rio back on 23 November 2002 had the band in top form as well as the crowd singing and jumping along in perfect unison with this song. Honestly, this made me jealous for the great versions I experienced over the years that never came close to this audience participation and interaction. Just something to marvel and appreciate when a band and crowd become one during a show.

Outstanding. I’ve seen them live and have watched live in Rio a lot before.
YYZ is a crowd pleaser alright.

Nice
“The Ghost of Tom Joad” – Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band, & Tom Morello (the unexpected)

Like Rob, I’m a big fan of Bruce Springsteen’s 1995 folk album The Ghost of Tom Joad. Some of Bruce’s fan favourite and well-regarded albums are acoustic pieces he’s released solo, which was the case here without the E Street band. However, when in concert with the band, these songs usually take on a totally different interpretation and vision, as Rob nominated the fantastic “Youngstown” from that same album that was a very impressive live departure from the folk version on the album. Well, add in Tom Morello, lead guitarist from Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave, and you get this amazing instant classic of the title song performed for the first time less than a year earlier. I watched mesmerized the first time I saw this performance, and later heard how Tom surprised Bruce with this same groundbreaking guitar solo the first time he joined the band for this song. Sadly I haven’t seen this version of the song performed live, though I’ve seen Bruce countless times over the years. This performance is from 2009 at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th anniversary concert, soon after the first time it was introduced on stage.

Great guitar from Morello

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.