Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 23 - Black&White&BlueMoon Town - Tailgating Music (pg 404)

Another week and weekend of this theme.

But just to give people time,anyone fancy going a week on monday (29th)?

It will start a new round, so literally anyone and everyone can go, just shout next.

I was going to choose The War on Drugs as I’d just seen them live for the first time and they were excellent,but I’d previously their live album.

So I’ll be Capt Obvious today, so here’s a Jason Isbell set.I’ll start with a quiet one and then with the 400 Unit.

Probably my favourite of his early songs, when I saw him live he explained that when he used to get drunk he’d start phoning people for no apparent reason.

Never released on an album ,the song he wrote for A Star is Born.

From his latest album, can’t wait to see him live again in November.

Another week and weekend of this theme.

But just to give people time,anyone fancy going a week on monday (29th)?

It will start a new round, so literally anyone and everyone can go, just shout next.

I've got a theme that could be interpreted in a number of ways, happy to go next unless someone else is very keen.

I've got a theme that could be interpreted in a number of ways, happy to go next unless someone else is very keen.

Go for it. First come first served and all. Others can shout for after that as ready.

I know I came up with this week’s theme and don’t know why I’m surprised, but I have found it a great way to browse in the evening on the tv.
Especially now we’re at the weekend. Sitting down with a glass and a music festival to choose from on YouTube.
That’ll do me.

I was going to choose The War on Drugs as I’d just seen them live for the first time and they were excellent,but I’d previously their live album.
Glad you got to see them finally. They are on my list too!
So I’ll be Capt Obvious today, so here’s a Jason Isbell set.I’ll start with a quiet one and then with the 400 Unit.
Thanks for choosing him and 3 of the lesser known live tracks. I knew well enough to stay out of your way and let you cook on this round! ;-)

From his latest album, can’t wait to see him live again in November.
Seeing him again in September here. ;-)

I've got Man City for the first time live on Monday (practice) and Tuesday (Celtic), so this is a BIG week coming up here!

Thanks to @mancity2012_eamo for putting this concept together.
I know he spent a fair bit of time agonising over how to present this and worrying about the format, but I think a couple of weeks watching some live performances
on YouTube will make a nice change.

I don't think people will be learning too much from my selected clips but hopefully it will reinforce how good they all are live. Following on from @threespires idea, I'll call mine the headline stage - minimum 50,0000 capacity for my acts!

"Enter Sandman" - Metallica

I'm not a big Metallica fan but I do love this song. My wife actually found this version one day and I just love the outdoor setting in Trondheim in the summer.
No doubt it was about 11PM local time, but still light. Of course, the band's performance is great, with added pyrotechnics.

"Youngstown" - Bruce Springsteen

I was originally going to go with "Badlands" from the same show, but went for this song instead.
Not only is "Youngstown" one of his great songs, it's an electrifying performance that is bolstered by accordion and fiddle and lit up by Nils Lofgren's incendiary solo.

Lyrically, I think Bruce Springsteen is a much better songwriter than many give him credit for. On this song, he takes on the history of the iron and steel industry in Youngstown and the surrounding area. In the chorus, when he sings "My sweet Jenny I'm sinking down", most listeners would assume that Jenny is the protagonist's wife,
but it's actually the nickname of the Jeanette Blast Furnace, owned by Youngstown Sheet and Tube, which shut down in 1977.

Some of the lyrics reference the bitterness at how the mills provided what the US needed for its wars but then were shutdown by "the big boys":-

Well my daddy come on the Ohio works
When he come home from world war two
Now the yards just scrap and rubble
He said, “Them big boys did what Hitler couldn’t do”
These mills they built the tanks and bombs
That won this country’s wars
We sent our sons to Korea and Vietnam
Now we’re wondering what they were dyin’ for

"Fingers of Love" - Crowded House

My favourite Crowded House song from the end of their Farewell to the World concert on the steps of Sydney Opera House in November 1996.
Of course, they would come back a number of times over the years in various configurations but they never matched the magic of those initial four studio albums.
The original trio of Neil Finn, Paul Hester and Nick Seymour is here bolstered by American Mark Hart, who played guitar on the Together Alone album from where this track comes.

I went to that Springsteen gig.

How can you start a gig up:

I may have been at this gig (think they played more than one night but I went to one of them).

Next a bit of slow and fast music, plus perhaps the greatest guitar solo ever.

I wasn't at this gig but I did stand on the side of that stage four years later and also queue for the backstage buffet right behind Donnie Van Zant brother of the then (and still) late great Ronnie. Sadly all bar one of the musicians here is no longer with us.

And you have some have some pyro to accompany your finale and rock anthem.

I was at this gig.

How can you start a gig up:

I may have been at this gig (think they played more than one night but I went to one of them).

Next a bit of slow and fast music, plus perhaps the greatest guitar solo ever.

Certainly one of the most famous guitar solos anyway.
I wasn't at this gig but I did stand on the side of that stage four years later and also queue for the backstage buffet right behind Donnie Van Zant brother of the then (and still) late great Ronnie. Sadly all bar one of the musicians here is no longer with us.

And you have some have some pyro to accompany your finale and rock anthem.

I was at this gig.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.