Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 23 - Black&White&BlueMoon Town - Tailgating Music (pg 404)

Lyrics sadly appropriate for these last few days.
Just catching up and the UK weekend's events made the news last night. Sorry I hadn't been watching much of that while trying to stay other-olympic spoiler-free while indulging on tennis most days.

And I thought we were a hot mess (and for the record, we are already, but you all know that too).

A shame that downright lies and the viral nature of social media can ignite ignorants up into a frenzy to lead to this.

If only there was a DBT song or five that addressed that? I may have to rethink my next album, and I was all ready to go too. Sounds like this playlist here was appropriately timed, we just didn't know it at the time. SMH...

Just catching up and the UK weekend's events made the news last night. Sorry I hadn't been watching much of that while trying to stay other-olympic spoiler-free while indulging on tennis most days.

And I thought we were a hot mess (and for the record, we are already, but you all know that too).

A shame that downright lies and the viral nature of social media can ignite ignorants up into a frenzy to lead to this.

If only there was a DBT song or five that addressed that? I may have to rethink my next album, and I was all ready to go too. Sounds like this playlist here was appropriately timed, we just didn't know it at the time. SMH...

There IS a Soapbox song that addresses it.

I've added the final couple of nominations and I've thought about what we could have as a finishing track given the week we've had; a large part of me says People Are People is as good as anything to finish with.

But then I got to thinking about the fact that they'll be lots of people facing the consequences of their choices over the next few weeks. There's a song that's very apropos in it's lyrics, whether you're a failed actor inciting hate crimes on social media or a balaclava wearing moron lobbing bricks at the police this one seems to have things covered.

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down

Thanks to @threespires for a playlist that mined what proved to be a rich vein of songs.

Songs I hadn't heard before but enjoyed

"The Courtroom" - Red Lane
"The Sirens Sound" - Greenleaf
"Sequestered in Memphis" - The Hold Steady - I've heard a few things by this band and not been really moved by them but this was good.
"I Did it For Love" - Harlequin
"God's Gonna Cut you Down" - Johnny Cash

Some very good and familiar justice/rough-justice-related songs

"Billy Austin" - Steve Earle
"Hurricane" - Bob Dylan
"What It Means" - Drive-By Truckers
"Crime in the City" - Neil Young

A song I'd never heard before discussion on these forums - I've now heard it many times and I'm still not tired of it!

"Lawyers, Guns & Money" - Warren Zevon

The brand new Shouty Old Rubbish (bin) Category

The Ruthless Rap Asaassins
Rage Against The Machine

Bluemoon - Justice, Judgement and the Law

Thanks to @threespires for suggesting these three related topics. I liked the well-thought out variety in the first five songs, the first 4 new to me. The first two tracks were nice and varied touching on justice and the courtroom. Biko and Mandela shout outs in “No Rope As Long As Time” were poignant, and Red Lane’s “The Courtroom” had this clincher of a line with “Now ya'll know what I'm talkin' bout don'tcha”.

I’ve heard Bruce Springsteen’s variation on “This Train” in “Land of Hope and Dreams”, but the boxcars on Sister’s train seem, um, a bit more restrictive and not sure why it is as empty as it likely is as compared to Bruce's. ;-) Just an overall nice blues version.

The Big Winner
"Irish Laws + Irish Ways" – Sinéad O'Connor
, a very moving and powerful live version. This one affected me the most. Thanks, @mancity2012_eamo.

My top 8 other new tracks (not yet heard in some or no particular order):
  1. “The Sirens Sound” – Greenleaf, nice heavy new rock, very enjoyable song
  2. “Close Your Eyes and Think of England” – Del Amitri, nice track and need to hear more from this band that has a lot of common artists I like on their Spotify Radio. I haven’t heard much “manifest destiny” since the 1800’s here…
  3. “My Country” – New Model Army, well done song I missed from this UK 80's band
  4. “The Mercy Seat” – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, very emotional song later covered by Johnny Cash, pretty appropriate
  5. “Billy Austin” – Steve Earle, The Dukes, sounds like it could have been a track off of Springsteen’s Nebraska
  6. “The Devil’s Right Hand” – Steve Earle, getting in lots of his songs this week for some reason
  7. “Justice (Just Us)” – The Ruthless Rap Assassins, well done song on the title from the early 90s
  8. “Johnny law” – William Elliott Whitmore, a nice blues toe tapping number
Top 10 tracks I knew but enjoyed listening to again (in some or no particular order):
  1. “That Golden Rule” – Biffy Clyro, glad I can put this song in this category – great song!
  2. “Lawyers In Love” – Jackson Browne, always a favourite of mine
  3. “People Are People” – Depeche Mode, a classic song still relevant and topical today
  4. “Lawyers, Guns and Money” – Warren Zevon, always been a fan of this song, and I too, never get tired of hearing it
  5. “God’s Gonna Cut You Down” – Johnny Cash, great song about justice, sooner or later delivered
  6. “Crime in the City” – Neil Young, great storytelling from the master of this from his classic album
  7. “Riot Van” – Arctic Van, nice slower number from this talented band, love the guitar section
  8. “Hurricane” – Bob Dylan, don’t tire of this song either, the tempo always works to the story here
  9. "Gimme What You Got" - Don Henley, appropriate song on The End of The Innocence
  10. “Freedom” – RATM, a classic of theirs

Last edited:
JUSTICE ,JUDGEMENT AND LAW

Nice idea for a playlist @threespires lots of tracks I’d heard before and some my favourites.
Initial 5 ,I hadn’t heard the Latin Quarter, or Red Lane songs liked both.I’d heard the others before and they were good too, I love The Clash cover of ‘Police and Thieves’.

Others I liked but hadn’t heard before
Del Amitri I’ve not got this album
Canned Heat
and amazingly RATM ,not a band I usually like but this track fits the bill perfectly especially Tom Morello’s distinctive guitar sound.

Top song I’d not heard before Irish Laws +Irish ways, wow powerful and emotive.

Songs i love and heard before.

Best song on this playlist Dylan, what a story teller and his voice was ok in this period ,producing two of my favourite albums of his ,‘Desire’ and BOTT.

Both Steve Earle’s ,obviously!
Warren Zevon, one of my favourite artists songs.
DBTS ,probably my favourite album of theirs
Artics ,what a debut album shame they never bettered it and Alex became a Bowie wannabe
The Hold Steady, great band and Craig Finn’s solo output is good too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.