Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 23 - Black&White&BlueMoon Town - Tailgating Music (pg 404)

I have too many left to choose from. And some of them are friends generation music, which normally I wouldnt gie a fuck about, but given this IS bimbo's playlist, will avoid.

Think I might try avoid go to bands I put up usually, and go for newer to this thread.

Anyone found that some bands have more of a predisposition towards one word titles than others? For example, (where my mind immediately went when this theme started) Brand New have 18 one word titled songs on their last 3 albums. Frightened rabbit in the same time frame and album number have 1. Maybe spires could do us a graph.

The list should be up to date, please let me know if I'm missing something.

I agree with Coats, some bands have lots of one word songs. I already mentioned U2 and Doves, but the former also have lots of songs in general. Lots of tagging to put that graph together.

Radiohead seem to have more than their fair share too.

Perhaps I've now got a few of you concerned on what's next? Well, to answer your concern/question for sure...

Big Thief – Not

Last edited:
A song that wasn't even on my longlist, as I have a fair few favourites I can't decide between, but something spires said on the other thread touched a nerve, so there.

The Wonder Years - Madelyn

A bit of a crude afterthought on the album, but absolutely brilliant live fwiw.

The Housemartins' song 'Build' is a commentary on the relentless pace of urban development and the impact it has on communities and individuals. The lyrics paint a picture of construction workers as almost faceless entities, 'clambering men in big bad boots,' who are changing the landscape without regard for the existing environment or the people living there. The repeated use of 'build' throughout the song emphasizes the continuous cycle of construction, suggesting a never-ending process of development.

The metaphorical language, comparing the transformation of the town to children's toys like 'Meccano to Legoland,' highlights the simplicity and carelessness with which these changes are made. The song suggests that the people in charge, 'men with heads filled up with sand,' are oblivious to the consequences of their actions, focusing solely on the act of building without considering the broader implications. The repetition of 'ba ba ba ba build' serves as a catchy yet haunting reminder of the monotonous and mechanical nature of this process.

The Housemartins, known for their socially conscious lyrics, use 'Build' to critique the modern obsession with progress and expansion at the expense of community and stability. The song's upbeat tempo contrasts with its critical message, creating a sense of irony. It's a call to reflect on what is being lost in the name of development and to question whether the new additions to our environment truly make it a better place to live.

38 years later and here we are. Wonder what Paul Heaton thinks now.

The Housemartins - Build

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.