Bluemoon Angling Thread

I went shark fishing about ten years ago on Tenerife. It was a bit of a joke in retrospect to be honest, a tourist trap. The previous trip out had caught one and it's carcass was on the deck with it's teeth and fin removed. Then they just turfed its body over the side. I was disgusted.

I'd hope @mammutly will recount the tale of the marlin on here when he's back. I checked back on his texts and it's taken him 25 years, and it took in the last minute of his last all day trip.
Really was an Aguero moment then! You should get him a 93:20 t shirt!

I used to go regularly for a week to fish their big lake for carp and cats. It's a nice place and the carp are piss easy to catch. The other lakes are match lakes if that's your thing. Let me know if you want any tips for the big lake. I didn't fish their Wye stretch but had a morning on their stretch of The Teme. I blanked.

Thanks mate- I'm probably going to focus on the Tench lake to begin with-I've only ever fished a river once so any advice on the Teme would be greatly appreciated.
Was thinking about the method feeder on the big lake but not sure-what do you think?

Thanks mate- I'm probably going to focus on the Tench lake to begin with-I've only ever fished a river once so any advice on the Teme would be greatly appreciated.
Was thinking about the method feeder on the big lake but not sure-what do you think?

I chucked a lead in the tench lake once for 10 minutes and I'm sure it isn't hard to catch as it was full of fish. I'd go the pellet route personally.

The big lake is called the Major Bill and standard carp tactics work there. Yes, a method feeder would work but I'd personally make sure you are introducing lots of bait. Everyone fishes up against the island but the fish are everywhere.

I've heard The Teme is a waste of time for barbel these days. Definitely go for the Wye instead!

I chucked a lead in the tench lake once for 10 minutes and I'm sure it isn't hard to catch as it was full of fish. I'd go the pellet route personally.

The big lake is called the Major Bill and standard carp tactics work there. Yes, a method feeder would work but I'd personally make sure you are introducing lots of bait. Everyone fishes up against the island but the fish are everywhere.

I've heard The Teme is a waste of time for barbel these days. Definitely go for the Wye instead!

Was going to fish a feeder on the Wye do you think that would be a decent tactic?

Yeah not to worried about catching on the lakes-would you advise using a pole on Major Bill lake?

Was going to fish a feeder on the Wye do you think that would be a decent tactic?

Yeah not to worried about catching on the lakes-would you advise using a pole on Major Bill lake?

For chub and barbel on The Wye a big feeder, frequently recast, with pellets, is what you want. Finding the barbel is more important: you need strong flow, deep water and a gravel bottom. The staff in the Docklow shop will tell you the right pegs I'm sure but make sure you aren't undergunned with your rod/line etc, especially if the river is up. Last week, in ultra-low flow, there were pegs where I needed 6oz to hold bottom.

Definitely don't use a pole on the Major Bill lake. The carp are all doubles and there are big cats. You need proper carp tackle, a bolt rig etc. If you haven't done "proper" carp fishing it's a great place to learn as there are loads of them.

For chub and barbel on The Wye a big feeder, frequently recast, with pellets, is what you want. Finding the barbel is more important: you need strong flow, deep water and a gravel bottom. The staff in the Docklow shop will tell you the right pegs I'm sure but make sure you aren't undergunned with your rod/line etc, especially if the river is up. Last week, in ultra-low flow, there were pegs where I needed 6oz to hold bottom.

Definitely don't use a pole on the Major Bill lake. The carp are all doubles and there are big cats. You need proper carp tackle, a bolt rig etc. If you haven't done "proper" carp fishing it's a great place to learn as there are loads of them.

Nice one-I've never really done proper carp fishing despite catching a lot of carp including two twenties-definitely going to pick the brains of the angling shop in regards the River though as my last attempt on the Ribble a few years ago was a disaster!

Was going to use my feeder rod on the river but it sounds like I'd better use my carp rod with a 2.5 test curve.

Cheers for the advice mate.

Nice one-I've never really done proper carp fishing despite catching a lot of carp including two twenties-definitely going to pick the brains of the angling shop in regards the River though as my last attempt on the Ribble a few years ago was a disaster!

Was going to use my feeder rod on the river but it sounds like I'd better use my carp rod with a 2.5 test curve.

Cheers for the advice mate.

All of the pther lakes will be perfect for the pole, just not the big one.

A standard feeder rod will be too light for the Wye, but a 2.5lb carp rod a bit too heavy. If that's all you have, go for the carp rod. You need 10lb-12lb line, heavy feeders and lots of pellets. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

A standard feeder rod will be too light for the Wye, but a 2.5lb carp rod a bit too heavy. If that's all you have, go for the carp rod. You need 10lb line, heavy feeders and lots of pellets. Let us know how you get on.

Will do mate.

A standard feeder rod will be too light for the Wye, but a 2.5lb carp rod a bit too heavy. If that's all you have, go for the carp rod. You need 10lb-12lb line, heavy feeders and lots of pellets. Let us know how you get on.

Got back from Docklow on Monday after a great weekend-unfortunately not able to get on the rivers due to the awful weather but had a great time fishing the ponds and caught lots of fish and had a great few nights in the Fisherman's Arms would definitely go back mate.

Got back from Docklow on Monday after a great weekend-unfortunately not able to get on the rivers due to the awful weather but had a great time fishing the ponds and caught lots of fish and had a great few nights in the Fisherman's Arms would definitely go back mate.

Did you try the "Major Bill" lake? The one with the bigger fish?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.