Bluemoon Angling Thread

Made a spur-of-the-moment decision to go to Llyn Brenig yesterday for an afternoon's fly-fishing from a boat. It was a bloody freezing 9 degrees out on the lake, the temperature I usually look for when I go fishing in February. Dreadful conditions, overcast and drizzly but with my new-found mastery of the art I managed a rainbow on dry fly and had a couple come to the fly without taking.

My mate tried everything but couldn't manage a fish which was a bit harsh given it was all his gear and he drove us there. I believe there are Osprey's there too but we didn't see them. Thoroughly enjoyable day though.

Had a couple of wanders with the lure rod with nothing much of interest.

Sunday morning I was up with the larks to start a new project: a park lake which contains massive bream which no-one fishes for. This was the first time I've fished for bream in 25 years. It was totally freezing and miserable but I went for it. Weed was sprouting everywhere but I eventually found a clear area and spodded a couple of kilos of groundbait/pellets/corn out at 70 yards and fished a straight lead on top of that. 6lb line, 6lb flouro hook length. Had a perch on lobworm first cast and a number of perchy pulls in the first 10 minutes, then it went totally quiet for the next 6 hours despite changing baits.

A disappointing start but I'll be back.

Made a spur-of-the-moment decision to go to Llyn Brenig yesterday for an afternoon's fly-fishing from a boat. It was a bloody freezing 9 degrees out on the lake, the temperature I usually look for when I go fishing in February. Dreadful conditions, overcast and drizzly but with my new-found mastery of the art I managed a rainbow on dry fly and had a couple come to the fly without taking.

My mate tried everything but couldn't manage a fish which was a bit harsh given it was all his gear and he drove us there. I believe there are Osprey's there too but we didn't see them. Thoroughly enjoyable day though.
Last time out there I saw an osprey diving near the shoreline close by. It came out with empty talons and was then mobbed by crows.
Brilliant sight.
Hope to get back there next week.

I may have a crack at night fishing for sea trout on the Welsh Dee this Thursday/ Friday first though :)

Last time out there I saw an osprey diving near the shoreline close by. It came out with empty talons and was then mobbed by crows.
Brilliant sight.
Hope to get back there next week.

I may have a crack at night fishing for sea trout on the Welsh Dee this Thursday/ Friday first though :)
Night time sea trout fishing looks great. I remember Matt Hayes and Browny doing it in Wales years ago on one of their programs. Let us know how you get on.

Night time sea trout fishing looks great. I remember Matt Hayes and Browny doing it in Wales years ago on one of their programs. Let us know how you get on.
Will do mate.
Unfortunately, like salmon fishing, it's not what it used to be.
But if you can find a pool with a few fresh ones coming in it can still be great fun!

FFS page 3 :-) Not long back from putting 3kg of brown crumb, 1kg of corn, a pint of 8mm pellets, a pint of hemp and a pint of dead reds into the nene for the second night. Two more prebaiting sessions then a very early start Thursday. I will let you know how we get on. Tight lines all.

So I was out on magnificent Rutland on Saturday. Conditions were not perfect as it was wall to wall sun and very little breeze. I had been given prior info that it had been fishing quite tough but that there were three or four spots where there was a good concentration of fish. So I headed to the nearest and to my surprise, it was free of boat traffic. So I anchored up in Yellowstone bay which was tree lined and very calm. I was immediately encouraged by fish moving on the surface. The water was unbelievably clear. I plumbed the depth and it was just over 12 feet deep. To give you an idea of the clarity this is an image of my anchor rope

View attachment 43378

You can clearly see the anchor on the bottom in over 12 feet of water. This clarity was all over the reservoir and I have never seen it quite as good as this.

I was set up on 4 straight line buzzers and second cast in I hooked a fish on the second buzzer down which must have been about 2 feet deep. Although I subsequently lost the fish, I concluded the fish must be relatively high in the water so changed from straightlining to a washing line set up. That was done simply by replacing my point buzzer with my favourite FAB which would keep the three buzzers behind it in the top 4 feet.

This proved to be a good ploy and over the course of the morning I picked up fish regularly including three Brownies. Some on the Fab and others on the buzzers. The water was so clear it was like fishing in an aquarium - you could clearly see pods of fish moving past the boat. I had decided the afternoon would be for moving about and trying to find one of the big resident fish (Rainbows and Browns up to 8lb are not uncommon) So up to the top of the South Arm where my target was to fish a little spot called Hideaway Bay. Unfortunately there were 4 or 5 boats already operating in there so i did a slow drift for 45 minutes across the top of the south arm pulling a single humungus on a Di5 sweep line trying to get a big brownie to chase. Nothing doing unfortunately but I did get to see one boat playing a fish for at least 20 minutes. Turned out to be a big pike.

Back down the water (it takes 30 minutes to get from the top of the South Arm back down to the main basin and another 30 minutes from there to the top of the North arm such is the size of the place). I stopped in another three or four places but there was nothing like the concentration of fish I had had at Yellowstone. Despite that picked up a couple and retired on a dozen fish in all.

What a beautiful place this is. Stunning. On Thursday we went down to the Lyndon reserve to spend a couple of hours with the ospreys and their three day old chicks. That was good enough but I was lucky enough to see my first Hobby (a small raptor that favours swallows, sand martins and dragon flies as its main prey). A walk from Barnsdale to Whitwell amongst the woods and bluebells followed. Difficult to believe all this just 40 minutes from Leicester.

View attachment 43382
Please note the City trim on my fishing jacket (courtesy Halkon Hunt).
Amazing place. You can't beat rutland, and 20 minutes drive for me. :-)

I’m through West today at Harelaw for my National semi. Today practice tomorrow the semi. I have a plan based on what worked for a couple of friends last week. But as they say, today is a new day.
Wish me luck. I will in all probability need some.

I’m through West today at Harelaw for my National semi. Today practice tomorrow the semi. I have a plan based on what worked for a couple of friends last week. But as they say, today is a new day.
Wish me luck. I will in all probability need some.

Good luck. Is there a bookies I can get a bet on you ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.