Bluemoon Angling Thread

Its the start of the season tomorrow. We are being piped down to the loch at 9.30, bacon sarnies for lunch and hopefully some very tight lines during the day. The older I get the more I look forward to the season as who knows how many more we have

Home - Coldingham Loch Fly Fishers

Its an unusual loch as its perched on cliffs overlooking the north sea. Forecast is pretty pants with an easterly wind and gusts to 30 mph and temp 'feels' like 1c. Will let you know how I get on.

How was everyones winter fishing?

Its the start of the season tomorrow. We are being piped down to the loch at 9.30, bacon sarnies for lunch and hopefully some very tight lines during the day. The older I get the more I look forward to the season as who knows how many more we have

View attachment 109521

Its an unusual loch as its perched on cliffs overlooking the north sea. Forecast is pretty pants with an easterly wind and gusts to 30 mph and temp 'feels' like 1c. Will let you know how I get on.

How was everyones winter fishing?

Thanks Saddleworth , always good to hear what you guys are up to. My fishing has been restricted due to trying to sort out my late mum's estate which brings out the very worst in some people.

Nevertheless, had a few sessions on the Severn with the odd barbel, outfishing my mate by persisting with maggot whilst he used the usual pellets and boilies. Oddly, I didn't manage a single chub big or small.

Also had a couple of blank grayling fly-fishing sessions on the Whitewell stretch of the Hodder and another blank on one of Prince Albert's reservoirs for trout.

Weather is warming up and work has been drying up, so I hope to be out more from now on.

The culmination of the year will be next February when we're booked to go to Providence. As you say, time marches on, and that will (probably) be my last "once in a lifetime" fishing trip.

Thanks Saddleworth , always good to hear what you guys are up to. My fishing has been restricted due to trying to sort out my late mum's estate which brings out the very worst in some people.

Nevertheless, had a few sessions on the Severn with the odd barbel, outfishing my mate by persisting with maggot whilst he used the usual pellets and boilies. Oddly, I didn't manage a single chub big or small.

Also had a couple of blank grayling fly-fishing sessions on the Whitewell stretch of the Hodder and another blank on one of Prince Albert's reservoirs for trout.

Weather is warming up and work has been drying up, so I hope to be out more from now on.

The culmination of the year will be next February when we're booked to go to Providence. As you say, time marches on, and that will (probably) be my last "once in a lifetime" fishing trip.
Nice one mate. Is that the Inn at Whitwell stretch of the Hodder? I have stayed there a couple of times but never managed to fish it. It looks a nice stretch. One of my mates is in Mauritius just now and has a couple of days lined up in a rented boat. He tells me the moon is right for Marlin. Lucky sod. For now I am happy with some big Broons.

Nice one mate. Is that the Inn at Whitwell stretch of the Hodder? I have stayed there a couple of times but never managed to fish it. It looks a nice stretch. One of my mates is in Mauritius just now and has a couple of days lined up in a rented boat. He tells me the moon is right for Marlin. Lucky sod. For now I am happy with some big Broons.

Yes, it is that stretch, quite a long one on the Duchy of Lancaster estate. The biggest attraction of Providence, for me, is not the fishing but the absence of people. But, then, I'm a miserable old fucker.

Yes, it is that stretch, quite a long one on the Duchy of Lancaster estate. The biggest attraction of Providence, for me, is not the fishing but the absence of people. But, then, I'm a miserable old fucker.
Absence of people but plenty GT’s, Bone Fish, Trevally, Groupers, Parrot Fish, Milk Fish, Sail Fish, Tuna, Wahoo…….
nobody that fishes is miserable.
introspective, quiet, subdued, thoughtful but never miserable ;-)

I’m taking the crew(work) down to Louisiana in two weeks for four days of fishing the bayous and marshes. Mainly looking for Red Fish which are great eating but Speckled Trout and many other fish can be found. Booked a guided boat, hoping to eat a lot of Oysters while we’re there and bring back a lot of fish.
This isn’t the outfit we’re going with but same area
https://youtu.be/xRkXQMcpWuw?si=KR9fh9no2Kss3Cmq

Absence of people but plenty GT’s, Bone Fish, Trevally, Groupers, Parrot Fish, Milk Fish, Sail Fish, Tuna, Wahoo…….
nobody that fishes is miserable.
introspective, quiet, subdued, thoughtful but never miserable ;-)
Seems a similar range of species to Thailand. Used to love fishing for Wahoo and GT. Had a few decent sail fish and a couple of marlin but more often than not just caught tuna when fishing for them.

Been having some luck with tench just recently on the feeder. Only fished this water a couple of times before and only had roach and perch.

It's quite shallow, 3ft or so, and a layer of dead silk weed on the bottom which means your feeder and bait have to be de-weeded on every cast. Requires patience of a saint. I've tried a bit of pop up foam to keep it above the weed but not happy it's presented right. In the event, I found the tench will burrow arround in the weed and dig the maggots out. You can tell when they are rooting around by the little pulls on the quiver.

Got this one today which I think may be a personal best but didn't weigh it because I messed around too long trying to get a (shit) photo and decided to get it back in the water.

20240319_165037.jpg

Been having some luck with tench just recently on the feeder. Only fished this water a couple of times before and only had roach and perch.

It's quite shallow, 3ft or so, and a layer of dead silk weed on the bottom which means your feeder and bait have to be de-weeded on every cast. Requires patience of a saint. I've tried a bit of pop up foam to keep it above the weed but not happy it's presented right. In the event, I found the tench will burrow arround in the weed and dig the maggots out. You can tell when they are rooting around by the little pulls on the quiver.

Got this one today which I think may be a personal best but didn't weigh it because I messed around too long trying to get a (shit) photo and decided to get it back in the water.

View attachment 110963
lovely fish mate!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.