Bluemoon Angling Thread

Quick update: went out exploring the local canal/river system with my ultralight lure gear again on Saturday. I upped the jig size a bit and was rewarded with a fat 10lb pike which I landed before quite a crowd of appreciative walkers.

I secretly love it when that happens. It's particularly gratifying when yourmate has been catching steadily but you're the one that catches when there's someone watching.

Been out today. Absolutely bloody freezing in conditions veering from blizzard to rain and back. One medium-sized roach from 4 bites !

I secretly love it when that happens. It's particularly gratifying when yourmate has been catching steadily but you're the one that catches when there's someone watching.

Been out today. Absolutely bloody freezing in conditions veering from blizzard to rain and back. One medium-sized roach from 4 bites !

It’s always the same script: “that’s a fat ‘un” and “are you putting it back”.

Because we had family coming around that I didn’t like, and I was curious about the local flood damage, like an idiot I took a rod out on Sunday afternoon. After two detours due to submerged cars, I arrived at a local massive reservoir on the top of a hill. I walked down to the dam wall and was nearly blown off it. The reservoir looked like the North Sea, I wouldn’t have even been able to cast.

I have myself a stern talking to and went straight home.

Because we had family coming around that I didn’t like, and I was curious about the local flood damage, like an idiot I took a rod out on Sunday afternoon. After two detours due to submerged cars, I arrived at a local massive reservoir on the top of a hill. I walked down to the dam wall and was nearly blown off it. The reservoir looked like the North Sea, I wouldn’t have even been able to cast.

During the blizzard I was talking to my mate about this and I was explaining my theory along the lines of "fortune favours the brave", that venturing out when mere mortals stay indoors will be rewarded by catching something special. He said it was "bollocks" and I fear he's right.

During the blizzard I was talking to my mate about this and I was explaining my theory along the lines of "fortune favours the brave", that venturing out when mere mortals stay indoors will be rewarded by catching something special. He said it was "bollocks" and I fear he's right.
He’s definitely right. Shit weather usually equals shit fishing, especially in the winter.

You must have been the only guy fishing in the U.K. on Sunday. Much respect mate.

I have caught Grayling with ice completely blocking the rod rings. Also caught them in blizzard conditions. That was when I was a lot younger though. Wouldn’t attempt it now. I like my comforts too much.
Yeah, grayling and chub are the only real prospects in those conditions. Cold toes and fingers are hard to avoid, though. Haven’t even had a grayling trip yet this winter as it’s nearly always been poor river conditions. They don’t feed well in coloured water. For some reason I can’t get excited about chub. I’ve had plenty but don’t really enjoy fishing for them TBH. Last dedicated chub trip was a horrible blank last winter on the Ribble in the cold. The one before I had a couple on The Dane at Swettenham on cheese. Actually, I’m lying. I tried to go out one Sunday this summer on my local river in the rain but couldn’t find a single slug.

Forgot to add: I’ve got two days boat fishing for pike in March on Esthwaite Water in the Lake District. I’ve done five days over the last few years and not had a single one. One day we sat there while the boat filled with snow /slush. That was miserable.

In the summer I’m doing a week on The Ebro in Spain for catfish.

Forgot to add: I’ve got two days boat fishing for pike in March on Esthwaite Water in the Lake District. I’ve done five days over the last few years and not had a single one. One day we sat there while the boat filled with snow /slush. That was miserable.

In the summer I’m doing a week on The Ebro in Spain for catfish.
nice one mate. One of my favourite haunts is the Lake of Menteith which is 20 minutes west of Stirling. It’s primarily a trout fishery but has started to encourage Pike fishing the last couple of seasons. Some massive lumps have been taken. Over 40lb. They grow big on the rich feeding of rainbow trout. If your ever up this way give me a shout.

Maybe...
When I lived in Spain I got call from the local guide..

Get your arse down here now..
But the river is in flood and you can't get down...
Don't worry just get here.

I caught a 127 lb catfish whilst I was sitting in a Renault kangoo. The river was in full flood and the cats were taking refuge in an eddy by the side of the road.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.