Bluemoon Under The Cartel's Irish Academic Microscope?

Maybe we defend ourselves more because we are criticised for our ownership more than anyone. Somehow I never see any Liverpool fans debate being sponsored by a bank which has been sentenced for helping to finance terrorists. Talk about blood money ... Well they can conveniently ignore this since nobody ever mentions it. Or do Arsenal fans discuss the morality of playing in the Emirates Stadium, wearing jerseys with Emirates and Rwanda written on them? Do they fuck. But hey, nobody tells them all the time how bad it is. For me the difference is that our ownership is being used as a stick to beat us with by hypocritical idiots. Off course we object to that. And right we are. Fuckem all.

How do the rags feel about their long-term "partnership" with the Saudi Government? What about financial service partnerships with banks in UAE and Myanmar?

Wasn't there a study from some professors or some other knobs from Sheffield Uni about us?

Soon, every University will be offering a degree on City and sports washing.

I don't think I can be arsed with much more of this BS.

Who owns United, Liverpool, and Arsenal? The Salvation Army? Amnesty International?

Hey, guess what, the UAE isn't a liberal, western democracy. Fancy that! But it's probably about as liberal as it can be without the rulers getting dragged out of their palaces and massacred by the locals. (Who do not, generally, share our values.)

The cultural imperialism of the West blinds so many of us to the facts that:

a) We are far from perfect ourselves.

b) People living in other lands, with a completely different history, culture and tradition, do not necessarily want to adopt our ways. In some cases, they see democracy as a Bad Thing.

c) The stuff people complain about - most of it we were practising ourselves up until about 50 years ago, and we have been 'civilised' for centuries. 100 years ago the UAE were nomadic tribesmen. Fucking hell, do people think our shit doesn't stink?

Emirates FA Cup
Emirates sponsorship of Arsenal
Emirates Stadium - Arsenal (and many others around the world, inc Old Trafford Cricket Ground)
Visit Rwanda sponsor Arsenal
Standard Charters' sponsorship of Liverpool
Emirates sponsor Real Madrid
Qatar sponsored Barcelona
Riyadh Air sponsor Atletico Madrid
Emirates sponsors the Rugby World Cup
Emirates sponsors the World Rugby Sevens
Emirates sponsors the NZ team in the America's Cup.
F1, Tennis, Golf, Boxing, Ironman Series, and Horse Racing, all host events in the Middle East or take their sponsorship money.
Not to mention Liverpool and United's previous sponsorships and agreements with Saudi, Russian, and other Middle Eastern 'state-owned' companies.

But of course, it's City fans that legitimize 'sport washing'.

If he's going to study so called "sportswashing" then surely he should focus on the reporting about the club and its links with UAE by the mainstream sports media, who have a far greater readership and influence over wider society, than a forum made up of 99% City fans?!! Had he done so then the only conclusion of "this paper" would have been that the "sportswashing" project has been a miserable failure.

I don't think I can be arsed with much more of this BS.

Who owns United, Liverpool, and Arsenal? The Salvation Army? Amnesty International?

Just fucking stop it mate, the game is up now fess up and adopt the position ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.