Bob Dylan Biopic - A Complete Unknown

Love&Theft, Modern Times and Together Through Life are all one of my favourite Dylan Albums.

That's funny. Pretty much all the later stuff leaves me cold. As it happens, listened to all of the 1964 Halloween concert right through just yesterday, on a whim. The one recorded at the Philharmonia hall in New York. Hadn't listened to it for a long time. Was trying to work out what was so completely magical about that concert. Here's a guy who had the most basic command of an acoustic guitar, and a very limited voice. He has no moves on stage, he's stringy, I could say he's not particularly good looking, although some of those early photos, and especially the ones taken of him round about the “retreat/retirement” period at Big Pink, after the motorcycle accident, make him look like a downright devilish angel, so that wouldn't be quite true. (When he was heavily into heroin, and burning the candle at both ends and then from the side, he looks completely wasted).
I don't think I know of any live recording with an atmosphere quite like it. The audience isn't sycophantic, they want him to know they're a “tough” NY audience, but he has them eating out of the palm of his hand. I need to specify that I'm not even a really big Dylan fan. I came to him late, in the eighties, because I just wanted to hear something truthful, in the middle of all the lies of that decade (or what seemed to me like lies).
I shall look out for that film. But I still think the Scorsese documentary, No Direction Home, is excellent. I can't imagine we'll find out anything much about the man that isn't already in the greatest songs. He's an artist. He don't look back.

Last edited:
It looks predictable

"Hey dad I'm going to New York to be a folksinger and change the world"

"Right on Bobby...keep it acoustic d'yer hear"

It looks predictable

"Hey dad I'm going to New York to be a folksinger and change the world"

"Right on Bobby...keep it acoustic d'yer hear"

Yeah, must admit I posted before watching that trailer. Hadn't realised it's a fictional account. I have a problem with that guy Chalamet, I simply can't understand why he's getting so much work. Will probably miss it out.
It is strange how people keep filming fictional accounts of this guy, and he isn't even dead! Must be very, very strange for him…

Yeah, must admit I posted before watching that trailer. Hadn't realised it's a fictional account. I have a problem with that guy Chalamet, I simply can't understand why he's getting so much work. Will probably miss it out.
It is strange how people keep filming fictional accounts of this guy, and he isn't even dead! Must be very, very strange for him…
I see he’s touring in Liverpool and Wolverhampton soon. Must be the world’s longest ever tour. Fair play for an 83 year old, not that I’ll be going.

So is this an unauthorised biopic?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.