Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature

I always dismissed him as a scruffy **** who couldn't sing. Then I listened to 'Like a rolling stone' when I was stoned one night and was pretty much blown away. Listened to a lot more of his stuff since then and he is a lyrical genius.

I just can't listen to him sing, can't do it, same with Paul McCartney. Maybe I'll just read his lyrics with the instrumental in the background to try appreciate his artistic greatness.

I just can't listen to him sing, can't do it, same with Paul McCartney. Maybe I'll just read his lyrics with the instrumental in the background to try appreciate his artistic greatness.

It's not just the lyrics mate. Listen to 'Like a rolling stone' and hear the sneering, mocking tone that completely compliments the lyrics.

It's not just the lyrics mate. Listen to 'Like a rolling stone' and hear the sneering, mocking tone that completely compliments the lyrics.

I'll give Dylan props there, he made his vocals work for the music he created.

In most cases, the lyrics stand up on their own.
Dylan is a great singer - with voice that's an acquired taste. (Well worth acquiring,too!). That said, on occasion, his voice has been hearbreakingly perfect (check out "moonshiner", "house of the rising sun", "love sick" and "I used to care" as particularly great examples'- there are others).
One of the things for which he hasn't been credited enough is what he has done for more conventional (some would argue more talented) vocalists.
His phrasing inspired millions and instantly rendered redundant the cheesy off-the-shelf pathos that most (certainly not all) had been peddling up to then.
There is no doubt (especially, as both covered his work, that great emotive (rather than pitch-perfect voices) like Ray Charles and Joe Cocker were set free by Dyan's success.

Before Dylan, it was ok to never write your own songs.

Before Dylan, it was ok to sham your emotional performance in a song.

He changed those two fundamental things by which we now (should, unless you're Simon Cowell) benchmark all performers.

Now, if you want to be taken seriously and not write your own material, you better have a voice and heart & soul like Amy because a voice like Adele (as fine as it is) isn't enough..

Not bad for a song and dance man.

PS yes, I know Amy wrote songs, too. It's just too good a contrast.

I've always admired Dylan's Talent for songwriting but I'm not sure that he's a poet

if I was giving any poetry awards to a Rock/popstar I would personally have chosen Jim Morrison, his words frequently sound like poetry to me

"The negroes in the forest brightly feathered ....they are saying forget the night, live with us in forests of asher out here on the perimeter there are no stars"

before Dylan the Everly Brothers Buddy Holly Chuck Berry and The Beatles where are writing their own songs

Try listening to covers of his tunes. I hated his nasal whine but one day his voice just clicked in my head and I never looked back - try this for starters
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D45AEFC7F293A9A
Ps. Forget McCartney, he's not on the same planet

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time
Far past the frozen leaves
The haunted frightened trees
Out to the windy bench
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea
Circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate
Driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow

Reads like poetry to me and that's just part of one song, plenty more to choose from.

I've always admired Dylan's Talent for songwriting but I'm not sure that he's a poet

if I was giving any poetry awards to a Rock/popstar I would personally have chosen Jim Morrison, his words frequently sound like poetry to me

"The negroes in the forest brightly feathered ....they are saying forget the night, live with us in forests of asher out here on the perimeter there are no stars"

before Dylan the Everly Brothers Buddy Holly Chuck Berry and The Beatles where are writing their own songs

Not arguing that there were great singer-songwriters before Dylan. Jimmie Rodgers. Hank Williams, Pete Seeger etc all did it. What I'm saying is that the Folk revival - which Dylan was very much the poster boy of - killed off Tin Pan Alley.
It has become almost expected that an artist (an artist, now. Not Kylie & Jason) write their own songs.
To suggest that Dylan's work isn't poetry (if that is indeed what you meant - apologies if not) doesn't reflect well upin your understanding of the art. Sorry, but that's the brutal truth.

I'd agree with you, though, about Morrison's lyrics having a poetical air. It's poetry alright, albeit a tad immature and self-indulgent. (That said, I love The Doors, too. So whatever that says abput me...)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.