Bobby Johnstone.

As a member of the Woodside Branch, 10 years ago we had several doo's at the club. I didn't notice some old geezer sat a few rows form the stage. When I asked who it was, someone said " oh it's the great Bobby Johnson " a true legend.
I hear he was living in Chadderton, and wasn't in the best of health, but I remember that he didn't want any fuss, and seemed very modest. His sister came with him and was grateful to the branch for the contact we had with him, and the cards and flowers we sent. A true legend and a bit of a charachter.

bluestreak said:
I went and watched him a few times when he was at Oldham...early 60's. Latics used to get a crowd of about 3000 t0 4000 in them days. The day Bobby made his debut there were 17000+ in Boundry park....lots of City fans in the crowd paying tribute to the true genius that he was. All the tricks and little flicks and lay offs were on display. Oh for some one here now who could take free kicks like him and make those through ball passes with that same accuracy....sorry to gush so but....he was a special player for every team he played for.

And he liked a pint or two! None of this special diet stuff for him. Pie and chips before the match and in the boozer with the fans after the game. A great player who would be more appreciated in the TV era.

I was told a story from a workmate many years ago , he worked at some place in trafford park where bobby johnstone worked after retiring from football, they were playing some 5 a side tournement and bobby was going to play but they had no kit, bobby said he would bring the shirts, which he did, all scotland v necked dark blue shirts all no10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.