Book and Kidd, 50 years ago

Off topic.. but something I learned about Best this week that I'd never heard before

He nearly re-joined the Rags around 82/83. He'd agreed a deal with Ron Atkinson, but never turned up to sign the contract

Best was obviously the big news after this game. I vaguely remember it was his first game back after a lengthy suspension, bans at the time being measured in weeks rather than games. Does anyone remember any further detail about the length of punishment and what it was actually for?

City v Utd in the League Cup, Best kicked the ball out of the ref's hands. Got him a month in his clothes store off Deansgate.

Last edited:
City v Utd in the League Cup, Best kicked the ball out of the ref's hands. Got him a month in his clothes store off Deansgate.
Thanks for that.
I wondered whether it had something to do with throwing mud at the referees feet in a Northern Ireland game but the Home Internationals didn't fit the calendar.

Off topic.. but something I learned about Best this week that I'd never heard before

He nearly re-joined the Rags around 82/83. He'd agreed a deal with Ron Atkinson, but never turned up to sign the contract

Billy Bingham was considering naming him in the Northern Ireland squad for the 1982 World Cup in Spain providing he could prove his fitness, so that might have had something to do with it.

He would have been in his mid-30's, so it would just about have been feasible.

Billy Bingham was considering naming him in the Northern Ireland squad for the 1982 World Cup in Spain providing he could prove his fitness, so that might have had something to do with it.

He would have been in his mid-30's, so it would just about have been feasible.
That does ring a bell, he was trying to get games because he was broke around that time. The taxman had caught up with him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.