BOOZE getting weaker.

Re: Alcohol getting weaker.

Tuearts right boot said:
Not wishing to be a pedantic real ale twat but the alcohol isn't getting weaker....just the amount they are putting in or brewing in it,is less by volume.

Sorry.

-- Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:51 pm --

Not wishing to be a pedantic real ale twat but the alcohol isn't getting weaker....just the amount they are putting in or brewing in it,is less by volume.

Sorry.

Apology duly noted, and rejected ;)

I get what you're saying though, alcohol is techinally the same strength, it's the amoun tof alcohol in the beverage that differs, not the strength of the alcohol it's self. So maybe the thread title should be, booze is getting weaker.

I am lead to believe that duty payable is dependent on the alcoholic content - so the lesser the alcoholic strength the less duty to be paid.

It seems to me as a rather devious way for companies to "appear" to keep their prices the same whilst making more profit.

Course I could be totally wrong and if so I apologise to the brewers. In fact the word "brewer" is a much to complimentary word for some of the "piss" that is sold nowadays so I prefer to call them "manufacturers".

bluebrickroad said:
I am lead to believe that duty payable is dependent on the alcoholic content - so the lesser the alcoholic strength the less duty to be paid.

It seems to me as a rather devious way for companies to "appear" to keep their prices the same whilst making more profit.

Course I could be totally wrong and if so I apologise to the brewers. In fact the word "brewer" is a much to complimentary word for some of the "piss" that is sold nowadays so I prefer to call them "manufacturers".

Duty is paid by the drinker/ importer is it not? Understand that they need to keep a competitive price in the market, but at what cost? To lose customers? To make customers feel cheated?

I for one would pay slightly more for a quality product. And if it's not broke, don't fix it. Take Pige's Tyskie lager, that's something the Poles are probably proud of producing and are quite happy to to make a reasonable profit. However, in most industries, when there is a demand for something (Stella, Strongbow) quality invariably suffers. IMO

Funny this thread coming up. I was in Iceland the other day and I saw a guy had a 4 pack of Skol lager on the conveyer. I've never had Skol lager but remember it always advertised when I was a kid a long time ago. So I went to where it was and thought I'd try some. I picked it up and looked at the alcohol content to find it was only 2.8%. So I didn't bother.

Has it always been that weak?

Most of the more popular lagers and ciders taste like piss anyway barring maybe Becks. I'd rather pay extra for stuff like Hoegaarden, Erdinger, Leffe Tyskie, Lech or even Red Stripe than buy a multi pack of fuckin 3.8% Carlsberg from Tesco etc.

By drinking Bud, Stella and Strongbow, you get what you deserve
If you want to get pissed drinking stuff that quite frankly is awful, buy supermarket own brand white cider

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.