Bradford Pit Memorial

urban genie

It was a week ago that they announced it but seems to have been missed on here. A permanent memorial to Bradford pit is finally being erected at Eastlands.

bradfordpitbfkhbv.jpg

As a lad who spent a lot of time around Bradford with my grandparents living there I remember what eastlands looked like pre-City and the ex miners in Bradfors Labour club telling tales of what the pit was like. There are still shafts running all the way up to Belle Vue underground so it is nice to see it remembered.

It it proposed for the memorial to be put on the entrance coming in from the Alan Turing Way/Ashton New Rd side so must be around where B of the Bang was.

Honestly I would choose a memorial to the pit over a statue of a player being there any day, just out respect for our local history. I always thought the East Stand should have been named after Forge Lane it is built over.

https://bradfordpit.com/

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...memorial-workers-former-bradford-pit-18611220

Last edited:
Yea i saw this the other day on twitter (unsure if it's made it to the etihad campus thread on here). I think it's really cool, and important, and it's probably taken too long for something like this but better late than never!

There are shafts running under all of east and north Manchester linking the Bradford and Moston pits and beyond.
Remember buying my house in Moston and it needing a mine search from the council to determine what was directly underneath it (or not)
But yes a monument to the pit / the past is long over due. Sunderland's Stadium of Light ground was named so as it too was on top of a pit and it was on that spot where the miners saw light as they came up the lift shaft after their shift down below.

I think one of the tunnels supplied coal to Stuart Street power station directly from t'pit. I remember going to see the cooling tower being demolished, 1978 (FOC)!!

There are shafts running under all of east and north Manchester linking the Bradford and Moston pits and beyond.
Remember buying my house in Moston and it needing a mine search from the council to determine what was directly underneath it (or not)
But yes a monument to the pit / the past is long over due. Sunderland's Stadium of Light ground was named so as it too was on top of a pit and it was on that spot where the miners saw light as they came up the lift shaft after their shift down below.

Me aunty and uncle lived on the miners in Moston. Spent a lot of my childhood visiting. The posh estate my cousin called it. Must be 35 years since I've been, wonder if it's still as posh ?

Me aunty and uncle lived on the miners in Moston. Spent a lot of my childhood visiting. The posh estate my cousin called it. Must be 35 years since I've been, wonder if it's still as posh ?
House prices gone up through the roof and the area is yuppyfied ever since the Moston Rag Socks built Pallet Park over the road from the estate :D
It's the New Didsbury!

It was posh until they built the FCUM ground right opposite it. Now the turncoats park all along St. Mary's Road every other Saturday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.