Bradford Pit Memorial

I think one of the tunnels supplied coal to Stuart Street power station directly from t'pit. I remember going to see the cooling tower being demolished, 1978 (FOC)!!
I got some great photos of the demolition of the 4 cooling towers on Broadway Power Station being blown up in 1984(I think). We lived in Middleton Junction at the time (on the other side of The Rochdale Canal,and remember all the windows rattling when each tower hit the deck.
My 2 girls were terrified at the time,it sounded like 4 claps of loud thunder.

House prices gone up through the roof and the area is yuppyfied ever since the Moston Rag Socks built Pallet Park over the road from the estate :D
It's the New Didsbury!

It was posh until they built the FCUM ground right opposite it. Now the turncoats park all along St. Mary's Road every other Saturday.

Wasn't aware they had built that round there, tbf I don't pay them any attention.

Are the high rise still there ? They lived facing the flats on Woodstock.

Wasn't aware they had built that round there, tbf I don't pay them any attention.

Are the high rise still there ? They lived facing the flats on Woodstock.
Pretty sure that the flats are still there. We lived just off Moston Lane back in the 90s/00s and you could see the flats from the rear bedroom window,across Broadhurst Fields and then Broadhurst Park.

There is the National Coal Mining Museum near Wakefield if you fancy experiencing what it was like down the mine. It's quite cheap and you get to go down to the coal face for about an hour

Any update on this? I think the original article said it was subject to planning application, but can't see anything on the planning applications on the council website?

It was a week ago that they announced it but seems to have been missed on here. A permanent memorial to Bradford pit is finally being erected at Eastlands.

bradfordpitbfkhbv.jpg

As a lad who spent a lot of time around Bradford with my grandparents living there I remember what eastlands looked like pre-City and the ex miners in Bradfors Labour club telling tales of what the pit was like. There are still shafts running all the way up to Belle Vue underground so it is nice to see it remembered.

It it proposed for the memorial to be put on the entrance coming in from the Alan Turing Way/Ashton New Rd side so must be around where B of the Bang was.

Honestly I would choose a memorial to the pit over a statue of a player being there any day, just out respect for our local history. I always thought the East Stand should have been named after Forge Lane it is built over.

https://bradfordpit.com/

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...memorial-workers-former-bradford-pit-18611220

Good post mate , i spent the first ten years of my life in Bradford from the late fifties to the late sixties , and went to primary school there .... i well remember that pit , and the adjoining Johnsons wireworks on Forge Lane , my gran lived at the back of them near the old cinema ..... my own street was opposite Phillips Park, and is now overidden by Alan Turing Way, and the area where the souvenir shop and gasworks stand now was known back then to us kids as 'no-mans land' .... aaah , the memories .... they moved us off the land around 1969/70 to start their redevelopments ...... but i never imagined back in those halcyon days that City would eventually up playing there,

Last edited:
My dad did a few years down Bradford Pit which delayed his National Service. He said he went down in the dark spent the whole day in the dark and resurfaced in the dark. He jacked it so he has to go do his National Service. Because of the dust on his chest he had terrible health all his adult life. A government compensation scheme existed but it had to be post 1955, my dad was down the pit earlier so received nothing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.