Brian Clough as City's manager?

Blue Streak

Maybe one for Gary James, but how close was this to actually happening? I've heard rumours he applied for the job a few times but Swales never had the balls to interview him.

If this is true? it's gutting to think that (in my opinion) one of the greatest managers ever never got the chance at Maine Road.

Blue Lloyd said:
Maybe one for Gary James, but how close was this to actually happening? I've heard rumours he applied for the job a few times but Swales never had the balls to interview him.

If this is true? it's gutting to think that (in my opinion) one of the greatest managers ever never got the chance at Maine Road.

Really? i thought my opinion of Swales couldnt get any lower, but if that is true it just has... Clough was the greatest manager England never had, never mind us... he would have been awesome at City - and would have whipped Swales into some sort of shape!! As long as he had Peter Taylor was with him we would have flown...

I knew we were close to getting him but I never knew Swales failed to interview him another example of what a twat he was, if would have managed us we would have had those good days all over again, he would have been great as manager

Blue Lloyd said:

IIRC Swales was on the FA's committee that decided not to approach Clough about the England job after Don Revie quit so it wouldn't surprise me if this was true, mind you where Clough was concerned there was only room for one big ego at a club and that was his own.

Clough was always talking to other clubs to increase his salary. He did definitely talk to us at some point, I think it was in Albert alexanders book

mcfcliam said:
Stillsy said:
The best manager ever.

Completely eclipses fergiscum.

Impossible to say.

Football was a totally different game when Clough was in his prime.

He did it with peanuts.

He and Taylor simply could have managed any club in the world and succeded.

Whilst in some ways the game is hugely different, it is still football.

Cloughie was a wonderful manager and motivator of players. Those skills are as important now as they were then.

You couldnt stick your team in a room full of booze the night before the champs league final these days, of course!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.