Brian Marwood.

TFC

Interesting one this. Making this appointment at this stage of the season doesn't bode well for the 'Hughes out'-ers....does it?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/23/manchester-city-mark-hughes-brian-marwood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... an-marwood</a>

"City have been talking to Marwood, currently the head of the UK football operations for Nike...."

So not only do we have the Welsh Mafia, we now have the Nike Mafia??!!

dannybcity said:
Mmmm not sure quite what I make of this. It worries me a little that Cook's mates with him.
It worries me that Cook has mates at all. Not knocking the guy, just seems like one of those lads at school that people punched a lot.

I've said a few times before that we needed another footballing man to assist.

At the club, we only have MH and his assistants who have real footballing experience and no-one to objectively interface with the board on team performances and the management of the players.

The board, I'm sure by their own admission, have very little footballing knowledge and must've felt frustrated by this when needing reassurances that MH is heading in the right direction even during the wobbles we have been experiencing.

Of course, this could also mean that the board now have a commercially savvy footballing man to cast doubt on the current management team........let's hope not.

Yes, the board can call on the "advice" of the so called experts out there and the Kingmaker Joorabchian types, but none of these folks are on the City payroll and therefore cannot be viewed as having the clubs best interests at heart, let alone providing an objective balanced opinion.

The appointment looks a good one to me.....why? The guy cannot be accused of having an agenda to take over from Hughes nor is he able to even if the board wanted him to - look at the disharmony created by the appointments of Avram Grant at Chelsea and Dennis Wise at Newcastle. He has vast experience of the English game but has earned his plaudits for his commercial ability too.

Good luck Mr Marwood.

scall1 said:
"City have been talking to Marwood, currently the head of the UK football operations for Nike...."

So not only do we have the Welsh Mafia, we now have the Nike Mafia??!!

Not ................The Tafia

We definitely needed a guy on the board who klnows something about football, and I don't have any problem with getting a couple of Nike's major guys in as Nike are pretty competent to say the least

We just need to get that cnut paul aldridge out of here

Ghost in my house said:
I've said a few times before that we needed another footballing man to assist.

At the club, we only have MH and his assistants who have real footballing experience and no-one to objectively interface with the board on team performances and the management of the players.

The board, I'm sure by their own admission, have very little footballing knowledge and must've felt frustrated by this when needing reassurances that MH is heading in the right direction even during the wobbles we have been experiencing.

Of course, this could also mean that the board now have a commercially savvy footballing man to cast doubt on the current management team........let's hope not.

Yes, the board can call on the "advice" of the so called experts out there and the Kingmaker Joorabchian types, but none of these folks are on the City payroll and therefore cannot be viewed as having the clubs best interests at heart, let alone providing an objective balanced opinion.

The appointment looks a good one to me.....why? The guy cannot be accused of having an agenda to take over from Hughes nor is he able to even if the board wanted him to - look at the disharmony created by the appointments of Avram Grant at Chelsea and Dennis Wise at Newcastle. He has vast experience of the English game but has earned his plaudits for his commercial ability too.

Good luck Mr Marwood.

Good post.

I think he's being brought in because we need a footballing influence at a high level during negotiations. The Kaka saga shows that although Cook could probably sell sand to the middle east, when negotiations become football related it breaks down, I think we need someone who knows football and the negotiation side of things.

IMHO I think this is a Ray Wilkins to Chelsea type appointment. They want someone to liaise better with the media and even perhaps get them on side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.