Bring back the Sash kits!

images

This is my favourite third kit. It's from 2014. It's also my lucky shirt. I always wear it for the big games and it has yet to let me down.
That is a belter and next to Le Coq's white and light blue one as one of the best aways.

s-l1200.webp

During the 1968 / 69 season, Malcolm Allison caused a storm amongst City fans when the red and black striped kit was introduced, replacing the clubs traditional maroon away kit. Allison unashamedly took the idea of the designed having watched AC Milan.

Then Allison did it again for the 1971 / 72 season. This time he introduced not just one, but two, designing a third kit in the days when third kits were not a thing!

An all white kit with a red and blue sash on the front became the second kit. The third kit was a darker blue with a red and white sash. The third kit, not worn often, lasted two seasons and has never been seen since at City. The white shirt with the sash lasted until 1977, though the sash became red and black. It has been brought back in 2003, 2010 and 11.

Once again Allison took the idea from an Italian side. Bologna played City home.amd away in 1970 as both sides won their respective League Cups and played in the Anglo Italian League Cup Winners Cup. Bologna won 3-2 on aggregate and Allison was impressed with their kit with the sash. (see picture below)

When Allison left Maine Road in 1973 and then joined Crystal Palace, he really went to town on stamping a new image on the Selhurst Park club.

Out went the club nickname "The Glaziers" and in came The Eagles, along with a new badge to reflect the name. The traditional claret and blue colours of the club went too as Allison brought in Umbro - City's kit manufacturer - and in came the familiar (to City fans) white shirt with a blue and red sash.....

Allison's influence on Palace remains to this day as they still wear shirts of differing colours with a sash. Indeed their fourth kit launched this season is a dark blue shirt with a red and white sash. City may have long abandoned this little used kit from 1972, but it is being kept alive by Palace and with it Malcolm's vision from fifty years ago.

Pictures:
1 & 2. Mike Summerbee modeling City's Allison inspired new away kits in 1971 / 72
3. City's players applauding Bologna after their Anglo Italian cup win at Maine Road
4. Crystal Palace's current fourth kit.
View attachment 114721View attachment 114722View attachment 114723View attachment 114724
The dark blue and red and white sash my favourite City kit ever.

I had the dark blue one from the Sports shop on the corner in Fallowfield , can’t remember the name of the shop ?
Alexandre sports. I think the old City player Roy Clarke had something to do with it. I remember going to Maine Road with my Dad in the early 70's and that kit being in the window along with a yellow Leeds away kit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.