Bundesliga 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like Wigan for obvious reasons and was a bit gutted when Uwe got that job.

At the weekend, I watched a 3rd division match at Dusseldorf's ground and wasn't keen on the place for no particular reason. From there, I got the train with a lot of Dusseldorf fans for the 15 minute journey to Leverkusen and watched that match. I wasn't keen on their fans either. They seemed quite "scouse" to me, acting like they owned the place.

I've liked all the people I've met in the Rhine/Ruhr region and in Frankfurt but was left with a different feeling about Dusseldorf.

I don't like Wigan for obvious reasons and was a bit gutted when Uwe got that job.

At the weekend, I watched a 3rd division match at Dusseldorf's ground and wasn't keen on the place for no particular reason. From there, I got the train with a lot of Dusseldorf fans for the 15 minute journey to Leverkusen and watched that match. I wasn't keen on their fans either. They seemed quite "scouse" to me, acting like they owned the place.

I've liked all the people I've met in the Rhine/Ruhr region and in Frankfurt but was left with a different feeling about Dusseldorf.

To be fair to them, that's just what you act like, when you go to Leverkusen.

Fair enough. In the triangle though, I’d go;

1. FC Köln
2. Leverscum
3. Düsseldorf

I just can’t put my finger on why I didn’t like the city or the club.

Koln is superb city but I would always put Dusseldorf above Leverkusen because of the Aldstadt and brauhauses

No trip to Dusseldorf is complete without a stop at Im Fuchschen for a roasted ham hock (schweinshaxe)

There are a dozen old brauhaus in Dusseldorf which I would happily spend an evening in - Uerige, Schumacher, Schlussel to name a few

I like going to see Fortuna, you can always get tickets except against Dortumund, Koln & Munich. Easy to get to from the centre of town and tickets are fairly cheap.

Dusseldorf stadium is fairly soulless from the outside but inside you do get a fantastic view from any position and the atmosphere is usually pretty good. Food and drink in plentyful supply.

What's not to love?

Koln is superb city but I would always put Dusseldorf above Leverkusen because of the Aldstadt and brauhauses

No trip to Dusseldorf is complete without a stop at Im Fuchschen for a roasted ham hock (schweinshaxe)

There are a dozen old brauhaus in Dusseldorf which I would happily spend an evening in - Uerige, Schumacher, Schlussel to name a few

I like going to see Fortuna, you can always get tickets except against Dortumund, Koln & Munich. Easy to get to from the centre of town and tickets are fairly cheap.

Dusseldorf stadium is fairly soulless from the outside but inside you do get a fantastic view from any position and the atmosphere is usually pretty good. Food and drink in plentyful supply.

What's not to love?
Cheers. I agree about the stadium. You can't even tell that it is a stadium from outside on the side we came into it from but once inside, it's quite nice. I didn't spend any time in the city (Dusseldorf) - I was ranking my preference of just the clubs, although there's a huge gap between 1 and 2. I don't want Rhineland thinking even for a second that I have a soft spot for Leverkusen - just that I dislike Fortuna a little bit more.

A bit surprised you thought they were arrogant - not sure what they've got to be arrogant about! I suppose they would consider themselves a relatively big team historically and would look down on clubs like Leverkusen, but I don't think they're on their own in that regard.

I had a different experience at Fortuna, although I do agree the stadium is weird. It's more like a massive indoor arena than a football stadium, the concourses in particular.

I stood on their terrace and a few minutes before kick off someone basically said I was in "their spot". I apologised and explained I was English and he said I could stay where I was, and him and his group of friends bought me a few beers. Turns out he was married to a woman from Ipswich and he had been over to see them a few times and his mates go along with him.

I had thought nothing of the Ipswich discussion until a couple of weeks ago when I went to Ipswich v Accrington (I'm trying to complete The 92) the day before we beat Villa. There was a block of Fortuna fans in one corner of Portman Road who had presumably made the trip because of that guy and the fact they were on their winter break. Not sure on numbers, I'd guess about 200, but they had definitely brought more than Accrington and the matchday announcer made all announcements in both English and German.

Anyway, if you go to a Fortuna home game, hopefully you have a different experience next time.

Hertha are splashing the cash.

Just completed the signing of forward Krzysztof Piatek from AC Milan for €23 million. He is their third January acquisition, following the arrival of Santiago Ascacibar from Stuttgart for €11m and Lucas Tousart (€24m from Lyon).
They seem to be moving away from the relegation zone; hopefully these new players will ensure their survival and greater success in the future.

A bit surprised you thought they were arrogant - not sure what they've got to be arrogant about! I suppose they would consider themselves a relatively big team historically and would look down on clubs like Leverkusen, but I don't think they're on their own in that regard.

I had a different experience at Fortuna, although I do agree the stadium is weird. It's more like a massive indoor arena than a football stadium, the concourses in particular.

I stood on their terrace and a few minutes before kick off someone basically said I was in "their spot". I apologised and explained I was English and he said I could stay where I was, and him and his group of friends bought me a few beers. Turns out he was married to a woman from Ipswich and he had been over to see them a few times and his mates go along with him.

I had thought nothing of the Ipswich discussion until a couple of weeks ago when I went to Ipswich v Accrington (I'm trying to complete The 92) the day before we beat Villa. There was a block of Fortuna fans in one corner of Portman Road who had presumably made the trip because of that guy and the fact they were on their winter break. Not sure on numbers, I'd guess about 200, but they had definitely brought more than Accrington and the matchday announcer made all announcements in both English and German.

Anyway, if you go to a Fortuna home game, hopefully you have a different experience next time.

I live near to Ipswich and catch a few games a season there - Ipswich and Fortuna have a very strong fan friendship that has been going about 15 years. Approx 200 Fortuna fans come over to Ipswich during the Bundesliga break in January. Roughly the same number of Ipswich fans head over to Dusseldorf earlier in the season.

Last season, if I recall correctly, both teams lost the relevant fixture 0-4!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.