Buxton

AlgarveBlu said:
stonerblue said:
I lived in Buxton for a year and loved it. It was a few years ago but essentially the place is just the same now.
It does get very cold in winter and the town is regularly cut off in heavy snow. And don't listen to anyone telling you it's rough.

Thanks...Have been advised on a paper article to steer clear of Fairfield

I'm sure there will be a dodgy street or two but i never had any problems there. I also worked there for 6 months about 4 years ago and it all seemed very civilised.

P.S. If you fancy a house swap i'm in a lovely little hamlet called Radcliffe but Portugal sounds a bit better.
We'll have a pool soon..

roaminblue said:
Buxton is lovely, very picturesque, lots to do if you like the outdoors and have a car. Train to Manchester is slow and Derby day ride back is often full of boorish United fans.

It is cold, the win chill makes it moreso. I've told this to several people who have visited, yet they always underestimate it.

It a not rough per se, there are some twats who look for trouble, but that's most towns nightlife really. Fairfield is on the rougher side, yes. Quite a few with banning orders, but to be honest there is no reason for you to go there.

A few nice pubs and restaurants.

All in all, it's very nice.

I can't for the life of me fathom why you would want to buy a holiday home there, though.

Looked at so many places in the Cotswolds and I just thought I'd get bored out of my head there after a couple of trips and it's full of very horsey people...Like the idea of the peak district on the doorstep and as mentioned decent access to the Etihad...wife hasn't fully clocked on that one yet :-)

stonerblue said:
AlgarveBlu said:
stonerblue said:
I lived in Buxton for a year and loved it. It was a few years ago but essentially the place is just the same now.
It does get very cold in winter and the town is regularly cut off in heavy snow. And don't listen to anyone telling you it's rough.

Thanks...Have been advised on a paper article to steer clear of Fairfield

I'm sure there will be a dodgy street or two but i never had any problems there. I also worked there for 6 months about 4 years ago and it all seemed very civilised.

P.S. If you fancy a house swap i'm in a lovely little hamlet called Radcliffe but Portugal sounds a bit better.
We'll have a pool soon..

Presume the pool won't need topping up...pools are overrated anyway as you spend more time maintain them then using them

Buxton's ok but it's worth checking out the smaller places along the line if the rail access is a deal breaker, Chapel, Chinley is a nice little village and would be more likely to suit the holiday renters.

Another place worth a look is Strines, it's rural but Marple or New Mills are 10 minutes drive for shops etc, it's on a different rail line but it has regular trains for the matches. My nephew has a place there, really nice area.

Judging from your posts in this thread it seems you may have a lifestyle similar to the one I would like but will probably never quite manage, best of luck mate, hope you find somewhere suitable.

Stewart Lee two weeks ago did Buxton.
He described it, in his own inimitable style, as a holiday camp for Nazis.
I can't imagine people holidaying there.
Conveyancing can be done as a fixed fee and not a % of house price.

nw42 said:
Buxton's ok but it's worth checking out the smaller places along the line if the rail access is a deal breaker, Chapel, Chinley is a nice little village and would be more likely to suit the holiday renters.

Another place worth a look is Strines, it's rural but Marple or New Mills are 10 minutes drive for shops etc, it's on a different rail line but it has regular trains for the matches. My nephew has a place there, really nice area.

Judging from your posts in this thread it seems you may have a lifestyle similar to the one I would like but will probably never quite manage, best of luck mate, hope you find somewhere suitable.

Thanks may have a look around the suggested areas

denislawsbackheel said:
Stewart Lee two weeks ago did Buxton.
He described it, in his own inimitable style, as a holiday camp for Nazis.
I can't imagine people holidaying there.
Conveyancing can be done as a fixed fee and not a % of house price.

Cheers - sounds like it's a place that polarises opinion although looking at ownersdirect there are a lot of holiday lets that seem to be doing well

AlgarveBlu said:
roaminblue said:
Buxton is lovely, very picturesque, lots to do if you like the outdoors and have a car. Train to Manchester is slow and Derby day ride back is often full of boorish United fans.

It is cold, the win chill makes it moreso. I've told this to several people who have visited, yet they always underestimate it.

It a not rough per se, there are some twats who look for trouble, but that's most towns nightlife really. Fairfield is on the rougher side, yes. Quite a few with banning orders, but to be honest there is no reason for you to go there.

A few nice pubs and restaurants.

All in all, it's very nice.

I can't for the life of me fathom why you would want to buy a holiday home there, though.

Looked at so many places in the Cotswolds and I just thought I'd get bored out of my head there after a couple of trips and it's full of very horsey people...Like the idea of the peak district on the doorstep and as mentioned decent access to the Etihad...wife hasn't fully clocked on that one yet :-)

Haha, well I'd definitely suggest holidaying there a few times before buying.

You'll soon find out that once you've seen the sights nearby that it is just like every other town. Small high st, pound shops, cafes, and awfully dull.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.