Buying a Refurbished Macbook - any advice?

I'm a Windows man but I've bought a few refurb models online from Tier 1 Online (https://tier1online.com/). They do Macs but at the moment they are sold out though.

I always buy Grade A or B and they've all been superb - literally like new and the packaging and delivery have been spot on. When my HP needs replacing, I'll be going there again. You will save a fortune and end up with a 'like new' laptop.

I've had my Macbook Pro for 11 years and it has run perfectly - as though it's brand new, out of the box - until now. It keeps randomly switching off when I'm in the middle of work tasks so I fear it is finally about to bite the dust.

I would like to get another Macbook Pro but the price for these things is ludicrous. However, I do recognise that it makes financial sense as I probably would have gone through several Windows laptops in that time (plus Macs are a dream to actually use).

Anyway, I'm thinking about going for a refurbished model to save a few quid. Can anyone out there advise on whether or not this is a good idea, and can you recommend a good place to get one from (online - I'm not in Manchester these days).

Cheers.

I was eyeing up a new MacBook Air (M3) a few months back but the required cost was just too much for me to stomach as well. Especially as I'd never owned a Mac before so didn't know how I'd get on with the OS.

I started looking on eBay and came across a seller called AT Digital Ltd and they have some pretty nice deals on the M1 MacBook Air. As their products are second hand the condition will vary but they are very honest with their descriptions and I bought one of their better condition M1 MacBook Airs for about £380 with a voucher code eBay were offering at the time.

The laptop is honestly pristine and if someone told me it was only a few months old I would believe them. It has been really well looked after and I'm very happy with my purchase.

That's the sellers store below:

(Check out AT Digital Ltd on eBay!

I switched to Macs during uni and haven’t looked back, I’ve only ever bought refurbished MacBooks. Would only buy from the official Apple refurb store though. They always come brand new in new casing etc with a 12 month warranty iirc.

You pay a bit more but get peace of mind. Touch wood, I’ve never had a problem with any of the refurbs I’ve ordered from them and I’m on my fifth one now.

They often don’t have the exact spec I need, but if you check back regularly I find new stock is added pretty much daily.

The good thing about Apple stuff is when I’ve done with the laptop 2-3 years later and buy a new one, I can still get a few hundred quid back for the old one from MusicMagpie or a similar trade in site.

Thanks all.

I spent some time looking around and found a couple of good sellers on eBay so I've got one coming tomorrow.

Nice one. What did you go for?

I got myself a M1 Macbook Air with the 512GB drive. Feels quite futuristic having a decently fast laptop without any fans. Still getting used to Mac OS at the moment but first impressions are good.

I got an M1 Macbook when they first came out. It's still working flawlessly, which is more than can be said for the 4 or 5 Windows laptops I had before that (including one I bought just two months before getting rid and buying the Mac). Little things like the fact that the performance doesn't drop when it's not plugged in.

The stuff that Macs are good at are things that are often not front and centre on the spec sheet. My last Windows laptop had really shitty speakers, mounted on the bottom for some reason, and then stupidly loud fans even when just browsing the internet. The result was if you wanted to put it on the sofa next to you or the bed and watch a Youtube video, you could barely hear it even at full volume. And if you wanted to listen to a podcast over the sound of cooking in the kitchen, forget it. But yeah, the quality of the touchpad and keyboard, a decent monitor (I cry every time I have to switch to my bargain-bucket work laptop).

Honestly, the main issue with them is that they have quite low capacity hard drives and they charge an absolute fortune to opt for a bigger one. But nowadays, with the super fast external SSDs, it's not much of an issue. I've done photo and video editing from a Seagate Extreme Pro, and had no issues.

I think with MacOS vs Windows, it's a bit of you win some you lose some. MacOS switching between windows with gestures much more smoothly and efficiently. Windows is much better for just arranging Windows and dragging files between them. I also find a lot of the shortcuts on Windows more intuitive. Quite a few on MacOS require three buttons, meaning you can't do them easily one-handed (and you constantly forget them and have to Google it). MacOS doesn't throw a hissy fit if you try to rename or move a file while it's open. And the biggest one for me, Apple don't put adverts on software that you've fucking paid for. I couldn't believe the first time I played Mahjong on my new £1000 Windows laptop and had to sit through an advert. Outrageous.

Nice one. What did you go for?

I got myself a M1 Macbook Air with the 512GB drive. Feels quite futuristic having a decently fast laptop without any fans. Still getting used to Mac OS at the moment but first impressions are good.
I got a refurbished 2019 16" MacBook Pro. 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. It also has a new battery. I paid £575 which is the best price I could find for a machine like that. It's described as being in excellent condition so hopefully that's correct.

I've had my Macbook Pro for 11 years and it has run perfectly - as though it's brand new, out of the box - until now. It keeps randomly switching off when I'm in the middle of work tasks so I fear it is finally about to bite the dust.

I would like to get another Macbook Pro but the price for these things is ludicrous. However, I do recognise that it makes financial sense as I probably would have gone through several Windows laptops in that time (plus Macs are a dream to actually use).

Anyway, I'm thinking about going for a refurbished model to save a few quid. Can anyone out there advise on whether or not this is a good idea, and can you recommend a good place to get one from (online - I'm not in Manchester these days).

Cheers.

Mine was doing the same and I thought the battery was on its way out, turns out the magnet in the screen that sends it to sleep when closing and awake when opening was playing up.

Saved me hundreds getting a replacement, could be your issue as well?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.