Camp America

New York, up in the Adirondacks. Absolutely beautiful place mate. America is an amazing place to be In, sure they're relentless energy can become grating but it's worth it to experience the country & the sights!

One word of advice with something like this pal, don't over-think it. There's a thousand and one reasons to talk yourself out of something but I promise you'll rue the missed opportunity if you do.

That looks fucking insane pal. Which company did you go with?

I've got my interview this upcoming week, just want to get it all in place now, hoping to have a placement by January hopefully I'll get a bit of a choice.

That looks fucking insane pal. Which company did you go with?

I've got my interview this upcoming week, just want to get it all in place now, hoping to have a placement by January hopefully I'll get a bit of a choice.
I went with camp America, ended up at one called brant lake camp.

You sound like you've got a similar mindset to me, and if that's right you'll love it. Can't rate it highly enough. Like I say though don't go with the expectation it's a holiday because it isn't and you will work hard, but I assure you, you'll have the time of your life

I went with camp America, ended up at one called brant lake camp.

You sound like you've got a similar mindset to me, and if that's right you'll love it. Can't rate it highly enough. Like I say though don't go with the expectation it's a holiday because it isn't and you will work hard, but I assure you, you'll have the time of your life

Cheers, I'm hoping to go with CCUSA as they run a programme in Canada, where I aim to go. Did you get chance to have a beer at all at the weekends?

I never worked at these camps, only stayed at them. Went as a kid.

My only recommendation is to find an interesting location. California, New England and NY would be fun. We get great weather here in the northwest during the summer, but not as much stuff to do if you plan to explore.

Hell, if you liked it here, you could even check out some universities. Good luck.
But if you did and fancied going to one, do not for one minute underestimate how much cash it will cost - my daughter is in her 5th year over there (not far from the aforementioned Adirondacks too) and even with a scholarship (which has covered about £100,000 of fees) I've still coughed up the thick end of £60,000 on top for her - I could, and may yet, write a book on the whole subject...

BTW - open invitation to any Blue who is considering this for them or one of their kids, send me a message, I have vast book of does and don'ts, gotchas and other tips and tricks to plot a path through it!

But if you did and fancied going to one, do not for one minute underestimate how much cash it will cost - my daughter is in her 5th year over there (not far from the aforementioned Adirondacks too) and even with a scholarship (which has covered about £100,000 of fees) I've still coughed up the thick end of £60,000 on top for her - I could, and may yet, write a book on the whole subject...
Yeah, our tuition rates are awful for international students. I got in-state rates and even that was a lot of money. Hopefully your daughter is studying to be in a lucrative profession because otherwise I wouldn't advise it. If she goes to a prestigious school and plans to stay, the connections she makes will be worth the money over the long-term.

Yeah, our tuition rates are awful for international students. Hopefully your daughter is studying to be in a lucrative profession because otherwise I wouldn't advise it. If she goes to a prestigious school and plans to stay, the connections she makes will be worth the money over the long-term.
Not a prestigious school (SUNY) but she was captain of a team that got to the NCAA final four and already has an a offer of a permanent position at one the Big Four accounting firms in NYC... so I absolutely consider it worth it ;-)

Not a prestigious school (SUNY) but she was captain of a team that got to the NCAA final four and already has an a offer of a permanent position at one the Big Four accounting firms in NYC... so I absolutely consider it worth it ;-)
Great. I work in the same profession, she will make plenty if she doesn't mind long hours. NYC is fun. You did it right... except for sending your daughter legally. Undocumented immigrants get in-state tuition. Could have saved yourself loads by having a smuggler take her across the Mexican border. ;)

We have to pay our own flights, visa etc. But get free board and food whilst there.

Whole process costs about 1k and you earn about 750 quid over the 9 weeks you're there.
I think they changed it over now to people paying their own way upfront, as I suspect a fair few people who were not up to it left early and maybe BUNAC / Camp America were losing out financially. Makes sense.... there were a few plonkers each year I went who were ''released from duties'' early

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.