Can England win the World Cup

supercity88

Just wondered if anyone watched this programme by Gary Lineker on Sunday. I'm aware a lot of people on here don't care what England do, but I'm an England fan as well, and it raised a lot of good points. Have to say Mourinho was spot on with most of what he said, if he could go and give them some of his motivational words before each game that would be brilliant. Lack of quality coaching at grassroots, emphasis on winning and not technique at a young age and not enough funding for the grassroots football seems to be the main issues. For me I think the Premier League needs to do more, a winter break for one without any friendlies or anything, as I feel the strain of the Premiership leaves our players ruined, we looked lacking in fitness and motivation for the last world cup and I think most players from the premiership who were at the world cup for their various teams seemed to struggle.

Any thoughts from those of you that follow England too? City can provide the spine for England like Barca have for Spain in my opinion!

That's my thinking as well, needs to be a lot more done until we can produce players good enough to win it.

Damocles said:
Yes, if the media leave the manager alone to do his job
The media dont lose matches the players do.You just havent got enough truly world class players.I can only think of A.Cole.There are good players but they dont cut it at the very highest level.The programme itself was quite good.Ya gotta love jurgen.

Shadz69 said:
Damocles said:
Yes, if the media leave the manager alone to do his job
The media dont lose matches the players do.You just havent got enough truly world class players.I can only think of A.Cole.There are good players but they dont cut it at the very highest level.The programme itself was quite good.Ya gotta love jurgen.

Greece had zero World Class players and won the Euros.

Holland have about 3 and got to the Final.

Germany have about 6 and didn't.

This myth of just putting the best players on the pitch will win you games has to stop. Football hasn't been this way in around 40 years, and how it continues to believe this I have no idea.

Damocles said:
Shadz69 said:

Greece had zero World Class players and won the Euros.

Holland have about 3 and got to the Final.

Germany have about 6 and didn't.

This myth of just putting the best players on the pitch will win you games has to stop. Football hasn't been this way in around 40 years, and how it continues to believe this I have no idea.
Thats fair comment but it definitely helps.Would an England manager drop Gerrard,Lampard et all and play guys who would kill themselves on a pitch to stay in the team.
Someone suggested Holloway and got a bit of ribbing but a certain naivety could help when it comes to England he would definitely pick his own men and his passion would be a huge plus.
Is Charlie adam english.

I would suggest that Capello would select players that fit the system he has in mind for the next game, who are in form, rather than those who are just the most talented players in the country.

This is one of the things that we've done so wrong for so often; we've tried to just squueze all of our best players into our side. Gerrard at left mid? Who the fuck thought THAT was a good idea? Glen Johnson at RB against teams with decent left wingers? Recipe for disaster.

Neville is a better option at RB for those games where we have a tough let winger to play against (when he's fit).

Lampard should never wear an England shirt again, he's like a reverse Klose in that he has never, ever played well for England on a consistent basis. He's probably the best English midfielder of his generation, but he is no good to the team, thus must be dropped.

SWP or Lennon depending on the forward strength of their left back.

Charlie Adam would be nice actually. So would Alan Hutton and Darren Fletcher thinking about it, Scotland could have a half decent team in a few years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.