Can the UK handle..

paphos-mcfc

The influx of Romanians and Bulgarians from the 1st of Jan?

The current entitlements of EEA and Swiss citizens in the UK are:

if they are working – they are entitled to all the same in-work benefits as British citizens (e.g. child benefit);
if they are out of work due to illness or accident – they can claim out of work benefits including income-related Employment & Support Allowance;
if they are jobseekers with a genuine chance of finding work, and they will have to register with Jobcentre Plus to prove this, they can claim income-related Jobseeker’s Allowance (which can give entitlement to housing benefit and council tax benefit) but they cannot claim income support, income-related Employment & Support Allowance or Pension Credit; nor are they entitled to assistance with housing or homelessness from local authorities;
if they are permanent residents – an EU citizen resident in the UK for five years will normally become a permanent resident at that point and then be entitled to claim for all benefits and for assistance with housing or homelessness on the same terms as any resident British citizen;
if they are family members of the above – certain family members, such as a spouse and dependent children, will also be covered if the EU migrant is entitled to claim.

I'd like to define a 'genuine chance' of work. This could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

The quote is from below.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.euromove.org.uk/index.php?id=20539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.euromove.org.uk/index.php?id=20539</a>

As someone who has now lived in two foreign countries, my options when out of work were to find a new job while living off my savings or leave the country and find a new job elsewhere. I never expected, nor received, a helping hand from the government/taxpayers of the foreign country I had chosen to reside in. Surely that's the way it should be.

I understand that EU membership complicates this issue, but until such time as all member states have the exact same benefit systems in place, you should only be able to claim support in your home country. That's my opinion on the matter anyway.

It's not just the workers you should be worried about.

It's the sham marriage participants.

There are hundreds of Eastern European Roma "finding love" with non-EEA nationals and the lure of large amounts of money (to them) as payment, will see the figures rocket

Salford_Blue said:

There are hundreds of Eastern European Roma "finding love" with non-EEA nationals and the lure of large amounts of money (to them) as payment, will see the figures rocket

How exactly will this make my life worse please, seriously?

BigJimLittleJim said:
Salford_Blue said:

More people waiting for NHS treatment. More cars on the road, more kids in overcrowded schools. less housing, should I go on ?
I am not (insert which ever right wing poster you fancy) but feck me the country is full, we can't take any more people.

BigJimLittleJim said:
Salford_Blue said:

It won't.
Britain is a nation of immigrants, and every new influx has been heralded by the gloom and doom merchants of the right as the end of civilisation as we know it.
Doubtless the Daily Fail, the Torygraph and the rest will be scaring folk that it will result in falling house prices, global warming and the failure of City to win away, but the end result will be business as usual, keep moving folks, nothing to see here...

Blue Mist said:
BigJimLittleJim said:
Salford_Blue said:

More people waiting for NHS treatment. More cars on the road, more kids in overcrowded schools. less housing, should I go on ?
I am not (insert which ever right wing poster you fancy) but feck me the country is full, we can't take any more people.

Stand strong brothers and sisters, we have survived the Beaker people, the Romans, the Normans, the Vikings, the Jews, the Indians, the Pakistani's, the Afro Caribbeans, the Polish, the Antipodeans, and some more French.

At first I was afraid, I was petrified............

You need to adopt a similar slogan to Australia ;)

Foff.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.