Can we say Messi is up there?

itisrising

I heard the MOTD pundits discussing this and I'd have to disagree with them. IMO, for Messi to be classed in the bracket of Maradona and Pele, he's have to have a great World Cup which he had. He won the Golden Ball , arguably slightly undeserved, created the most chances, completed the most dribbles, won the most MOTM's and led his side to the final. I think it's foolish to say the man isn't in their bracket because he couldn't carry his side to glory against such a strong Germany side. What do you guys think?

itisrising said:
I heard the MOTD pundits discussing this and I'd have to disagree with them. IMO, for Messi to be classed in the bracket of Maradona and Pele, he's have to have a great World Cup which he had. He won the Golden Ball , arguably slightly undeserved, created the most chances, completed the most dribbles, won the most MOTM's and led his side to the final. I think it's foolish to say the man isn't in their bracket because he couldn't carry his side to glory against such a strong Germany side. What do you guys think?
Top two ever i understand but he is clearly a top 10 GOAT, likewise Ronaldo

People always harp on about Barca making him good but most of the great players played on great teams.

I agree.

It isn't his fault he doesn't have an Ardilles, a Riquelme or a Redondo playing behind him.

He doesn't look like the player he was 18months ago, had a bad injury and I don't think he recovered from it 100%, he needs rest so lets hope he gets back to where he was fitness wise, same can be said of Sergio, the guy needs a rest and time to recover otherwise he will turn into another Torres.

It's complete bollocks when people say 'for so and so to be considered a true great they have to win the World Cup' ... A single player can't do that himself and anyhow a refs decision can sway the result of a football match now days. So to even reach a final is so so tough.

Markt85 said:
It's complete bollocks when people say 'for so and so to be considered a true great they have to win the World Cup' ... A single player can't do that himself and anyhow a refs decision can sway the result of a football match now days. So to even reach a final is so so tough.

I agree. The idea that a maximum of 7 games can define a players legacy just doesn't do it for me. To be considered a true great, you need to have truly great career which Messi has had.

Markt85 said:
Markt85 said:
No it's a fair statement. To be the best of all time you have to do it when it counts the most. Messi was not under as much pressure as Pele and though Messi had a decent world cup. he did not deserve to his award.

I am tired of people especially City fans (I know you are not) disrespecting the Argentina team. Argentina had Aguero, Di Maria, Higuain, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Garay and Mascherano. After Germany and Spain they probably had the third strongest collection of players alongside Messi. It's a failing that he has not won one international tournament with Argentina. The Olympics do not count.

Unless Messi has an astounding 2018, which is unlikely this world cup probably confirms he will remain on the tier alongside Zidane, Ronaldo, Beckenbauer rather than the elite with Pele, Maradona, Di Steffano and Cryuff.

I am 28 years old, and I have never seen a player who is as good as Messi.

Its hard for me to compare him to Pele or Maradona because I didn't see them every week like Messi.

Wretched Vengeance said:
Why should a four week period, potentially done 3 times, define a player's career/legacy?

He's had a poor World Cup and that free kick in the last min was abysmal.

But he has been the best player on the planet for something like, four out of the last five seasons.
He hasn't had a poor world cup by any means

He has a decent world cup imo and has been instrumental in Argentina getting into the final

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.