Cantona's Manchester derby prog - tonight ITV 10.30ish

Gary James

BEFORE READING MY COMMENTS AT THE TOP OF THIS THREAD, PLEASE READ MY COMMENTS AFTER ABOUT 12PAGES OR SO - THIS PROGRAMME TURNED OUT TO BE SOMETHING UNBALANCED AND NOT THE SAME AS THE FRENCH VERSION SHOWN IN MAY.

Gary James said:
Regardless of what I think of his time at United, it's worth me telling this little story....

The Cantona brothers own a media company in France. They decided to do a series on the great derbies around the world (one from each major sporting country). They agreed with Canal Plus and ITV1 to produce a pilot and, inevitably, because of Cantona's history United had to play a part. The TV companies wanted them to make a programme about Utd-Liverpool (there's other threads on here about whether that's a derby or not, but according to those TV execs it is).

Anyway, Cantona was insistent that the derby had to be Manchester City-Utd because that's a true derby. He knew what he was talking about and spoke positively about what Manchester, City and of course Utd meant and the significance thrughout history of the fixture. He spent much of last season filming it. I was interviewed to put the derby into context.

They also followed a few fans (both clubs) and they followed a female City fan whose husband is a Red. Cantona turned up in her house at one point.

Anyway, the film was made and broadcast in France at the end of May this year. Obviously, it's in French with French subtitles when someone speaks in English. I am only on for about 20 secs but they got a French football historian to talk in French about St. Marks, City's history and so on.

It's hard to tell exactly what the programme says but from what I can make out it is very fair on City and well-balanced. It does feature more Utd officials - Fergie & Giggs - but this may have been support from the clubs themselves. Nedum was interviewed for City.

Sadly, ITV have not shown the programme. I have no idea why (maybe it will be on pre-derby). Perhaps they'd have shown it if it had been Liverpool-Utd.

So, despite his playing career for Utd, my view is that Cantona understood what Manchester & City is all about and, from what I was told by the production crew, he seemed to genuinely respect City, City fans and our history. He certainly did more to ensure our history was considered fairly than most other football 'public' figures.

-- Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:13 pm --

Bellingham said:
Appologies for sort of going off at a tangent here (but I can't start a thread yet)...

...Cantona is apparently the 'Manc Hero' of the bloke who runs the Pride of Manchester website.

Is anyone aware of this site? There is such a clear rag biase that's it total fails to give a fair view of the place its trying to promote.

Theres a line on the 'about us' page about being so proud of our city and its football team (singular).

I've no connection to this web site and have no desire to raise its profile but it has made my really quite angry.

Both "The Pride Of Manchester" & "Manchester Confidential" are run by United fans.

The Cantona programme mentioned a few weeks back on another thread is on ITV tonight. This will be the British version (I've seen the French version) so don't know if they've changed it much (probably less French language speakers and more English!).

It'll be interesting to see how it comes across.

Im guessing this is the same programme that is on the Emirates flights at the moment..

If it is, I started to watch it last week whilst flying but turned it off after 20 mins or so... is much more geared towards the Scum side (obviously with Cantona presenting it), plus im still not happy seeing how we lost the last derby at home!! im in a bad enough mood as it is flying!!

On the plus side, Natalie Pike is in it from the City side!!! and also, theres a fair few mongy scum fans to laugh at along the way including the guy who claims to be uniteds song writer (complete tit by the way!)

I watched the English version on a flight to Dubai and thought it was OK. Was more balanced than I expected and Cantona came across as a decent bloke who was genuinely interested in the City perspective.

Worth a watch.

Been waiting for this coming on... My mate worked on it and said that they'd interviewed loads from both sides and filmed all over the City, and beyond.

He did say that some of the City interviewees had said stuff about the building plans when interviewed, but whether they make the edit, who knows?

Should be interesting though and a good build up for Weds...

I think this has been shown on Foxsports over here,

A pretty fair programme if its the same one, although you will be smashing the tele when some clown of a rag who is a self appointed song leader, whose name gladly does not spring to mind. Tells of an origional Cantona song to the tune of Lily the Pink, then he gets the whole pub to sing it and how he made it up.

Bring on Wednesday, c`mon blue boys

ChippyPerthBlue said:
I think this has been shown on Foxsports over here,

A pretty fair programme if its the same one, although you will be smashing the tele when some clown of a rag who is a self appointed song leader, whose name gladly does not spring to mind. Tells of an origional Cantona song to the tune of Lily the Pink, then he gets the whole pub to sing it and how he made it up.

Bring on Wednesday, c`mon blue boys

So that will be the original song that City were singing 40 years ago about Colin Bell oh and that songwriter is Pete Boyle and he's a Fuckin tool.

I watched on a trip back from the States in the summer on the plane. it was more balanced than i thought it would be to be fair.

Although if he ever came round our house he'd on the street before his feet touched the ground!!

Tonight ITV 22:35

Eric Cantona returns to Salford and then popps over to Manchester to look at the city's passion for the game and the rivalry between the two clubs?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.