Capello on AJ and City

bizzbo

A few papers are running stories that AJ is destined for a place in the 30 man squad that will be named in May. Capello named him as the young player who has impressed him the most.

this is from the mirror

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-City-winger-Adam-Johnson-has-emerged-as-a-shock-England-World-Cup-contender-article392365.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ma ... 92365.html</a>
......The 22-year-old Johnson, who scored four goals in 19 appearances for Stuart Pearce's Under-21 side, is set to be named in next month's provisional 30-man squad, with a possible debut in the final Wembley friendly with Mexico on May 24.

And his versatility - he is equally happy on the right or the left - could now propel him into the squad as Capello's wild-card selection.

Capello said: "Adam Johnson, he's come up from the Championship at Middlesbrough, where he played in a different position.

"He's done well with Manchester City. Now it's important he gets some international experience."

That will almost certainly come next month, unless Capello changes his mind, and means Johnson will get 13 days with the extended squad to show the England boss he deserves to gatecrash the World Cup party.
He also alluded to our improvement several times...

from the times.....

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article7097882.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 097882.ece</a>

Fabio Capello said last night that the failure of English clubs in the Champions League this season was inevitable after they became “obviously weaker” by failing to invest in their squads when their overseas rivals were strengthening last summer.

Defeats for Arsenal and Manchester United in last week’s quarter-finals ensured that there is no English team in the last four of the Champions League for the first time since 2003, with Chelsea eliminated in the first knockout round and Liverpool falling at the group stage.

Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlo Ancelotti dismissed talk of a power shift in European football, but Capello agrees with Uli Hoeness, the Bayern Munich president, that the economic climate — unfavourable tax conditions in England, the weakening of the pound against the euro and the financial circumstances at certain clubs — has damaged the Premier League contingent.

“It is obvious that the financial crisis has affected the English clubs in Europe after years when they have been among the biggest spenders,” Capello, the England manager, said. “Compared to the previous season, all the clubs have sold important players. Some went overseas and others moved to Manchester City. They [the so-called ‘Big Four’] got obviously weaker.
Related Links

“In my experience, if a club is at the top, it should buy one or two high-level players every year to remain at the top, given that the opposition is getting stronger. The clubs that spent most last summer are now semi-finalists — Barcelona, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich. Only Real Madrid and Manchester City spent more than these clubs. Florentino Pérez [the Real president] had to bring his club back into the frame. Inter bought six new players.”

Capello’s frequent references to City’s financial strength extend to an increasing regard for the Manchester club and, in particular, for Adam Johnson, the winger they signed from Middlesbrough in January.

Johnson has long been regarded as an outside bet for England’s squad for the World Cup finals this summer, but Capello has indicated for the first time that the 22-year-old’s impressive form has brought him under serious consideration, particularly after the injury to David Beckham and concerns about the fitness of Aaron Lennon.

When asked which young English player had impressed him most this season, Capello said: “Johnson. He has come up from the Championship, where he played in a different position, and done well. Now it’s important he gets some international experience.”

thanks for catching that - I'm not usually in the Mirror.

not a big England fan either, although I do follow things and especially when our players are involved, as I love to see them do well (all of our guys, whatever international teams they play in) ~ was wondering though if SWP is in the squad for sure, or perhaps if our younger signing could actually be usurping him?

If he keeps up his current form, then he more than deserves to be on that plane, it would be a crime if he wasn't. I think he offers more than what Walcott and SWP could provide. Johnson has so much to give from the right. He doesn't need the pace of Walcott to glide pass 3 defenders on the wing as he has done at least 3 times in the last 3 games, he is a great passer of the ball, got a good strike on him, takes good corners, has a good footballing brain (far better than Walcott) and has a decent final ball.

It would be a great experience for him!

I'd love AJ to get to the England squad, it would be great to see him on the wing in the World Cup. I'd back him to be the surprise package, he's better than many people think, including what I thought when he first joined. He's one of them that you have to watch week in-week out for a bit to appreciate him.

Just like I said last month

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=167365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=167365</a>

To be honest Johnson is a fantastic winger and deserves to go ahead of - SWP (who i feel sorry for as it looks like he is gonna miss out again, but creating noise about contracts in a world cup year??), Downing (who has proven when he gets his chance for England he cant cut it) Walcott (headless chicken) C'mon Fabio do the right thing!!

Bought my 7 year old lad the England Shirt for his Birthday, but did not get a name and number on it. He is mithering me to death to get Barry on it, but I said to him lets waits and see if AJ gets in the squad. I know he would love to have that on it as AJ has made a huge impression on him.

He also want a Tevez Argentina shirt lol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.